spc
Search similar:

uniqs

scoot28
join:2013-05-24
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28

internet speed has never been what I pay for

Hello all. I just wanted to see what you think about this. My internet speed has never been what I pay for. I pay for 30 Mbps and only get 20 to 21 Mbps, and it never reached 30, never!. I call them and they say 21 is reasonable. Well, the way I look at it that’s a 33% reductions and not that’s reasonable.
What do you think?
Thanks

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow

Anon

Tell us about you setup what modem do you have? show us a screen shot of the GUI. What router are you using? are you measuring speed from a wired or wireless connection?
Run a speed test from speedtest.charter.net and show us a screen shot.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to scoot28

to scoot28
Technically 70% is considered reasonable. At any rate what modem are you using? Are you using a router if so which one? What OS are you using? These are just a few basic bit of info we need if you want answers.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to scoot28

to scoot28
When I had the 10mbps package, I never got more than 7mbps, Did I complain about my 3mbps loss? NO?

Cell towers, take for example, EVDO rev. A, has theoretical limit of 3.1mbps. Yet, most of the time, never see above 1.2mbps (and this is not a saturated area). They say 1.2 is acceptable.

What are you doing with your internet that you are going to miss 9mbps that you say you're losing?

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

1 edit

scoot28

InTheKnow & BF-69, Thanks for you reply and willingness to help. I'm not sure exactly what GUI (graphical user interface) you are asking for a screen shot but here are some photos of my setup. I use a Netgear N300 router and use a Cisco DPC3010 modem supplied by charter. Let me know if you need more than what I'm showing..

Thanks

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

You can access the modem's diagnostic GUI by using »192.168.100.1

However, you may not be able to access it through your router. If so, power down your modem and connect directly to the modem via Ethernet. Then, power up the modem and wait for it to sync.

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28

Click for full size
Is this correct?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to scoot28

to scoot28
What wireless adapter are you using and where is the PC in relation to the router?

PhoenixFall
@lusfiber.net

PhoenixFall to scoot28

Anon

to scoot28
That cheap NETGEAR is limiting you.

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28 to 88615298

to 88615298
here is a screen shot of my device manager showing the adapter.

My computer is in a different room from the laptop.. I using a Dell XPS M1710 computer. I considered moving the router and see if it helps but thought I would start here with questions first.

I got the Netgear router at a good price but I only saw good reviews before buying it.

thanks

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL

nightshade74

Premium Member

With the intel wireless 3945ABG 21 Megs is about par for the course.

It only supports 802.1G.
If you feel like it you can replace the adapter.

I would try turning off your laptop wireless and plugging
straight into your netgear (patch cable).
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by nightshade74:

With the intel wireless 3945ABG 21 Megs is about par for the course.

It only supports 802.1G.
If you feel like it you can replace the adapter.

I would try turning off your laptop wireless and plugging
straight into your netgear (patch cable).

Yep I would agree that is most likely the issue. I also agree directly hooking it up to the router to test to make sure.

88615298 (banned) to PhoenixFall

to PhoenixFall
said by PhoenixFall :

That cheap NETGEAR is limiting you.

That's BS. My WNDR3400 has worked just fine for 28 months now. never had an issue with speed with it.

PhoenixFall
@lusfiber.net

PhoenixFall to scoot28

Anon

to scoot28
How are your speeds when connected directly to the modem? Is it possible to test that? The router may not be a problem but I had the same router and it limited my speed when I was on Charter.

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28

hummmm... when I disabled my wireless my .computer won't recognize the cable. I’ve plugged 5 different cables in and none will work. I reviewed the Broadcom NetXtreme….. and it shows that the cable is unplugged.

thanks

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow to scoot28

Anon

to scoot28
Scoot, Looks like you have found the answers to your questions. Thanks to the other responders for thier timely responses.

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28

I think so,,, I thank everyone for their time spent helping me.

best regards
Thanks
Scoot

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

Now that Scoots' problem has been solved, can someone decrease my ignorance and tell me what that display is, in his first image above? TIA....
Double OH 7
join:2009-10-19

Double OH 7

said by msmisfit:

Now that Scoots' problem has been solved, can someone decrease my ignorance and tell me what that display is, in his first image above? TIA....

First set of images are his modem and router.

Second separate image is the GUI for his modem.

Third and last image is the device manager in windows.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

The thing hanging on the side of something... in the first image is which, a modem? A modem or a router? I had never seen one like that.

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL

nightshade74

Premium Member

The first item is a Cisco DPC3010 Modem.
See -> »www.google.com/search?q= ··· &bih=874

The second item is a Netgear N300 Router.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

said by nightshade74:

The first item is a Cisco DPC3010 Modem.

Thanks! I still didn't see a picture of a display that looks like what his modem seems to have, but you've answered my question. I appreciate it!

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28 to msmisfit

to msmisfit
msmisfit, my modem is hanging on the side of the deck of my desk. the router is setting on the top, upright. A brick wall is at the back of my desk. I inclosed my car port for a study and hanging on the wall is a round concrete wreath with the a North Carolina State University sign in the center, just in case you are wondering......

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Thanks, Scoot... I think I just need new reading glasses. I thought that modem had a display screen on it, and apparently it's just the lighting and vents or something showing.

I thought you might be able to see stats on an advanced modem with a display. I know... I don't mind showing my ignorance here... almost daily.

scoot28
Lincolnton, NC

scoot28

you know mimisfit, that's how things are invented sometimes. thinking you saw something that you really didn't and whoola an idea is born. and that would not be a bad thing to have on a modem.. but I assume that the internet provider may have an issue with it.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to scoot28

Premium Member

to scoot28
»Charter only gives you 70% of the contract speed you buy
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA