All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Whovian4life
@sbcglobal.net

Whovian4life

Anon

[TWC] Modem/Router

I have an issue. I just ordered TWC internet for the first time via my phone. I did inform them that I wish to use my own modem rather than rent one from them. This seemed a sensible idea. My issue is that I am clueless when is comes to this type of stuff. What is the difference between a router and a modem? Do I need both? (the lady on the phone did not mention that I needed a router) What would the best modem be to purchase? Do I need to install the modem prior to the TWC internet installation? Please help. I'm clueless.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

A modem will allow you to connect to one computer (via ethernet) ...

If you have more then one computer or want to do something like wireless internet for your computer you will need a router (or a modem with a built in router).

Yes it's best to have the modem prior to install (if your using your own modem) .. otherwise time warner has no way of knowing your service is going to actually work beyond saying "your tap is active"

If you do buy your own instead of leasing one.

Make sure you have one on the supported list and one that supports the tier of service you choose.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

Whovian4life
@sbcglobal.net

Whovian4life

Anon

Thank you so much for the quick response. I do want to have wireless internet because I'd like to be able to use it on my phone, tablet, or smart TV. How do I know if the modem has a built in router? I have researched many modems while deciding which one to buy, and none of them mention whether they have a built in router or not.
ernliz
join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

ernliz

TWC can lease you their modem with built-in wireless router which will work like a charm for all your wireless devices and a wired computer. But if you wish to use your own modem, TWC will "provision" it to work at your house, but then you'll need to hook up a wireless router to it for your other wireless devices. I'd recommend a Linksys wireless router, which works well and easy to install.

I have a cheapo Ubee Time Warner Cable modem connected to my old Linksys wireless router. This combo serves my two wired computers and a bunch of wireless smartphones, laptops, etc.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out...
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to Whovian4life

to Whovian4life
said by Whovian4life :

Thank you so much for the quick response. I do want to have wireless internet because I'd like to be able to use it on my phone, tablet, or smart TV. How do I know if the modem has a built in router? I have researched many modems while deciding which one to buy, and none of them mention whether they have a built in router or not.

A Common Modem / Router would be The Surfboard SBG6580

»moto.arrisi.com/Video-So ··· /SBG6580

Looking at Time Warner's supported modem/router list..

»www.amazon.com/Netgear-C ··· 08A2OG3C

The Netgear CG3000D is another modem/router combo.

You could always get a standalone modem to and hook a router to it.

My recommendation if your not real familiar with technology then just go with the modem/router lease from Time Warner -- Yes it's a small monthly fee but they will "troubleshoot it" , "help you set it up" and "replace it" if it dies.

If you use your own modem / router -- Your pretty much on your own for troubleshooting / tech support.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Whovian4life

Premium Member

to Whovian4life
I think you would be best off renting from TWC for the time being. You can always decide later to buy your own modem and router. Educate yourself about modems, routers, etc before you buy. Since you know little about either currently I think it foolish to buy your own and be on your own for setting them up and for many problems. Read this forum for several months and also do other research on the available modems and the many, many possibilities for routers before rushing out to buy either.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· -edition
Chevygal
join:2004-09-04
Canton, OH

Chevygal

I had called to negotiate a better price for my services and learned that I can have free WiFi because I am paying extra for the turbo speed. The service call to set everything up will be reimbursed after 90 days with a Visa card. If I would downgrade, then I would have to pay a monthly lease fee. I can hook up to 6 items which is plenty for me and I like that the modem/router is one unit. If the unit becomes outdated, it won't cost anything and no worries about TWC changing their approved list. I am more technically challenged than other posters on this thread, but this was my way of thinking.