IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Good way to shield a genset from the weather

Just had some bad thunderstorms move through this afternoon and there is about 2500 people in the area without power.

We might have some more bad weather tonight.

We scrounged up a couple of umbrellas and rigged this up. Right now we are on generator power.

H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

1 recommendation

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by IowaCowboy:

Just had some bad thunderstorms move through this afternoon and there is about 2500 people in the area without power.

We might have some more bad weather tonight.

We scrounged up a couple of umbrellas and rigged this up. Right now we are on generator power.
[att=1]

Love it!! It should work right up untill a good gust of wind comes along. I have mine in a shed.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

said by H_T_R_N:

Love it!! It should work right up untill a good gust of wind comes along. I have mine in a shed.

Or a thief. If you're planning on leaving it out overnight, consider finding something to chain it to. Even a cheap bicycle lock would deter opportunity thieves.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I would tie-wrap or bungee a couple of poles, such as EMT to the top corners of the frame and parallel to the garage door. I would drape a tarp over that. I would tie the tarp grommets to the EMT to prevent blowing, or I would put the bottom edge of the tarp under the wheels. There should still be plenty of room for air to come in and out.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
when hurricane sandy took away our electric, I had the generator set up in the driveway between my truck and my wife's truck (parked side to side 10 feet apart). I stretched a tarp between the racks on the roofs and secured it with some 550 paracord. worked like a charm

.......I now see it's a 1 car driveway you're dealing with, so i'd have to vote for the post directly above mine. i'd frame a little more with EMT and not tuck the tarp under the wheels though. maybe hammer a few pieces into the ground just past the asphalt, like 5' tall to secure the front of the tarp. I get paranoid with flammables near hot exhausts.
Expand your moderator at work

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy

Re: Good way to shield a genset from the weather

I use concrete blocks and an old scrap piece of plywood.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
GenTent: »www.gentent.com/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· FMtpAwug

Pricey, but I bought one and it works extremely well and is well made in the USA.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I use a thick contractor garbage bag I cut open and some twine. Works well.

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My solution

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

Frink I hope you have holes for the exhaust and the heat....

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Pour one of these.

»/r0/do ··· %201.JPG

disconnected
@108.247.170.x

disconnected

Anon

said by PSWired:

Pour one of these.

»/r0/do ··· %201.JPG

As you can tell, I'm a fanatic about fire safety and noise abatement.

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink to Zorack

Premium Member

to Zorack
Yes it is open on all sides, and that front panel is hinged to allow the plugs to sit in the set.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
The last 2 years we've had lots of stories about people stealing generators so while you're at it grab a chain to secure it.
Expand your moderator at work

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to Frink

Premium Member

to Frink

Re: Good way to shield a genset from the weather

Don't forget that you will have to add fuel every 6 to 10 hours typically. Now if the generator is converted to natural gas, that generator bunker in the back yard looks great. However it would not be so good in the front driveway.

In the driveway is really good for when you have to go out and get more fuel. Carrying fuel to the back yard in the rain would be no fun. I have wondered if it would be easy to add a connector to let the car fuel pump pump fuel from the tank to a generator.
boaterbob
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

boaterbob

Premium Member

As already mentioned, any enclosure type box can lead to problems for a gas generator. Gasoline generators produce a lot of heat when running and the gas in the gas tank can boil!

I once made a nice wood enclosure (I thought) for my gasoline generator - had a ridge vent, had openings on all side just under the slopped roof and I even installed 2 box fans powered off the generator on 2 sides of the enclosure.

As a test I started the generator and set back to watch it - after about 20 minutes I noticed heat waves coming from the roof and then noticed what looked like fumes also. Quickly shutting the unit down I could tell the gas in the tank had been boiling!

Be careful!

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

Thanks for the tip! My setup lasted 8 days during Sandy...so I am confident in it at least with the model I have.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to 02778712

Premium Member

to 02778712
said by pike:

If you're planning on leaving it out overnight, consider finding something to chain it to.

said by 02778712:

The last 2 years we've had lots of stories about people stealing generators so while you're at it grab a chain to secure it.

Is there an echo in here?
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned)

said by pike:

said by pike:

If you're planning on leaving it out overnight, consider finding something to chain it to.

said by 02778712:

Is there an echo in here?

There might be but make note you want to SECURE your generator from theft. It's so important it deserves a few echos! ;p

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
for security, I was thinking some hilti HIT/chemical anchor holding a 5/8" hardened U bolt (with enough spread to fit a fat chain through) into the patio slab.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Click for full size
Here is what we used during Sandy ... We had no power for 8 days, and this worked perfectly! It's an oak table with a heavy steel frame.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I use concrete blocks and an old scrap piece of plywood.

That is what I use also. Typically I will put a small piece of wood under one end to give it a little pitch so it drains.