Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

Extreme 505/100?

Thoughts on if Comcast will respond to Verizon's new 500/100 quantum speeds? (»www22.verizon.com/home/fios-fast···t/#plans)

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

300$ a month? haha

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JigglyWiggly:

300$ a month? haha

I would assume they would just kill the 305 tier, so hopefully it would stay at the same price point.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

Do YOU feel the need?
Do you think your usage would actually benefit?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

They might do so once they roll out 24x8 bonding/modems or add to the/bump 305/65 plan. I wouldn't consider 305/65 as Comcast responding to the current 300 FiOS speeds because it's not easily available for most.

Also, where do you see 505/100 ? All I see is 150/65.

- Nvm, I see it now.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Do YOU feel the need?

I remember this same question when using a 300 baud modem and 1200 baud modems were coming out. The answer will turn out to be yes...

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Do YOU feel the need?

I think it would be nice. The potential upload bump would be significant.

said by tshirt:

I don't think I would use anymore total transfer. Would I peak higher, yes.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to whfsdude

Of course this might all turn out to moot as we might not see a higher tier in the near future.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Darknessfall

This and any Comcast response would be a fiber install like whfsdude See Profile's
CC isn't going to immediately upgrade ALL DoCSIS equipment again for the few actual customers this would draw from their nationwide footprint.
These speeds and attached prices are still a very limited speciality market at this time.

optikal
Hate-filled misanthropic curmudgeon

join:2001-02-18
East Hartford, CT
reply to whfsdude

DOCSIS 3.0 is limited to around 300/100, so that's the best we could get for now.

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ

1 recommendation

There's no limit to the number of channels that can be bonded with 3.0. 24 channel+ modems will be here soon. Arris has tested 128 channel devices.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

3 recommendations

reply to whfsdude

I hope it does happen so I can get another bump with Blast to 105. I love hand-me-down tiers.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to optikal

Why's that the best? Comcast is deploying 300+Mbit tiers to residential as FTTP not DOCSIS... they could easily do 500Mbit over that same network... whfsdude has one of these connections already on fiber from comcast

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by neufuse:

whfsdude has one of these connections already on fiber from comcast

... and he's probably one of the few, if not the only one, here with such a connection.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

Why's that the best? Comcast is deploying 300+Mbit tiers to residential as FTTP not DOCSIS... they could easily do 500Mbit over that same network... whfsdude has one of these connections already on fiber from comcast

But, many are unable to receive even the 300 Mbps tier. Many people who posted here looking to get the tier were told they were too far away. They don't even normally advertise it except for speed claims.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Darknessfall:

But, many are unable to receive even the 300 Mbps tier. Many people who posted here looking to get the tier were told they were too far away. They don't even normally advertise it except for speed claims.

But I think the tier is specifically designed to compete in strong Verizon FiOS markets. The biggest limitation in the FiOS markets is not access to the fiber network, it's the limitation on requiring a single dwelling.