All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DoBoY3
join:2011-12-14

1 edit

DoBoY3

TSI Quebec Cable CAP usage starts counting when?

I was wondering now that I have been downgraded to a 300GB when the Bandwidth cap would be enforced? Since the tool for quebec usage does not reflect the unlimited window or the free upload atm, I think we are currently on the honor system? (can TSI clarify this?) until the tool works properly? I just want to make sure I have advance notice so that i can track my usage properly
mtone
join:2012-01-04
Gatineau, QC

1 edit

mtone

I called last week about this. I should mention that I told the (French) CR beforehand that a) I was using my Tomato Router to measure peak usage usage myself, and b) I knew I would go over 300GB total, but below 300GB on-peak, and therefore I was worried about the QC usage tool.

I asked for confirmation that I won't get billed based on numbers on the Quebec tool. He put me on hold before answering.

The response I got:

- Upload is unlimited indeed (yay!)

- They will not rely on the QC usage tool...

- ...but they do have internal tools to measure the actual peak/off-peak usage (not public yet or something)

- As long as I don't go over 300GB on-peak, I should not get billed extra, even if the QC usage tool shows larger amounts.

- Overage would be averaged across months.

I got the answers I needed in my situation, but it might not be complete. Indeed, if one has no way to monitor household usage, and the tool is unusable, how can the customer possibly deal with a bill based on back-end measurements hidden from view? Maybe they would just use their tool to ask someone to move to unlimited over a certain amount.

mtlguy123
@videotron.net

mtlguy123 to DoBoY3

Anon

to DoBoY3
Multiple people have asked the same question in the past. TSI will not answer.

Speculation is that everyone is on the honor system unless you download noticeable amount over the 300gb limit. What that amount is... who knows.

I've been browsing here for a while and what we know is:

- We've been promised an updated tool.

What we don't know is:

- Are we on an honor system?
- When will the tool be available?
- How can I keep track of my BW usage properly if it currently reports ALL bandwidth usage?

There have also been a few reports of people going over the 300gig download limit and not being charged extra. I myself have downloading over 300gb using the 2am to 8am window and have not been charged extra as well.

I had something like 400gb downloaded one month but unfortunately there was no way to tell exactly how much of it took place during the unlimited window unless I track it myself.

Quite frustrating... but I appreciate that free downloads from 2am to 8am and free uploading exists. I just want to be able to manage it better.