Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to doubleohwhat

Re: FTTH Internet speed drop - started last month

said by doubleohwhat:

So I'm doing a complete overhaul this weekend to reduce the amount of hardware and overall power consumption (currently at 1,240 watts).

My rule of thumb is that AC power is about a dollar per watt per year.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
Sounds about right. My power bill is by far my largest bill each month.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

My rule of thumb is that AC power is about a dollar per watt per year.

You've got somewhat expensive power rates. That would come out to around 10cents/kWH. I average around 7cents/kWH. A while back I pulled the specs on my equipment and added it up and I'm around $375/year on the nominal draw. Thankfully I'm not running servers at home anymore. I've contemplated building a rack mount host to run VMware ESX on for a decent FreeNAS box and to host a Linux box for some services. I will do it eventually, once I have enough of a need. Hopefully I can find or piece together a system that averages a low enough power draw to keep the cost reasonable but still has enough horsepower to perform reasonably well. I'd definitely include a RAID card and 3 of the largest 5400 RPM drives I could find, as well as a significant amount of memory.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Kett2000
Premium
join:2002-04-23
Sunnyvale, CA
I would love to have your power rates. The lowest tier of power is 13-14 cents/kWH with PG&E. The rates ramp up significantly as usage increases and subsequent placement into higher tiers.