Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

2 recommendations

TSI Marc

Premium Member

[Cable] Firmware upgrades: Motorola SB6120/SB6121 and SMC D3GN

Upcoming Changes to the Rogers network.

Please note that due to upcoming changes to the Rogers network, 2 specific modems manufactures require that the firmware for their modems be upgraded in order to operate optimally.

Modem Type: Motorola SB6120 and SB6121
Tests were completed beginning August 6th to deploy a new firmware to select subscribers. After successful tests, rollouts of the new firmware began on August 12th. The certified firmware version for new modems is 1.0.6.12.
When the firmware is pushed to the modem, the modem will reset itself and reconnect to the network. Customers will experience a very brief outage.

Modem Type: SMC D3GN
Beginning August 14th, tests will begin to deploy a new firmware version to a select few modems. The official certified version of this firmware has not been made available yet to TekSavvy. Once it does, we will pass along the new firmware version that will get pushed out after the tests are successful

In order to ensure optimal performance of the modem, it is important that customers are aware of these requirements for new modems going forward. The firmware upgrade is a one-time procedure and any modems deployed after these dates will likely have issues and firmware updates will not be redeployed.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

Re: [Cable] Firmware upgrades: Motorola SB6120/SB6121 and SMC D3

Very interesting. Given all the RF troubles of late, wonder if this is an attempt by Rogers to stabilize things a bit. That Motorola firmware is 11 revisions newer than the current one, I believe...hopefully some improvements have been made.
tommyv2
join:2007-06-03
London, ON

tommyv2 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
So this means that any SB6120s that were sitting around unplugged during these dates are now unusable for future activations? That's insane if true - I *just* gave my 6120 to a friend last week to activate...

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Wow, that's actually surprising.

No changes needed to the DMC 475/6 i guess?

Maybe that's why people have been having issues with the moto's after the RF work is being done...

I guess I'll plug in my unused SB6120 and hope it gets a FW upgrade, in case i need it later and the firmware push is over.
vdaedalus
join:2011-02-06
Ottawa, ON

vdaedalus to tommyv2

to tommyv2
They only started the rollout yesterday, so if he's plugged in now your friend might be all right?
tommyv2
London, ON

tommyv2 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Nah, activation not even requested. Could be weeks. Would plugging in the modem work at this point, just to get it to upgrade? How long is the update window?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by tommyv2:

Nah, activation not even requested. Could be weeks. Would plugging in the modem work at this point, just to get it to upgrade? How long is the update window?

It should work. I'm gonna try it with my deactivated one.
tommyv2
London, ON

tommyv2 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I hope so. I got two of them (no longer provisioned) so if plugging them in updates them then we're good. I'd find it hard to believe they wouldn't leave the update window up for at least a few weeks. People go on vacation, unplug stuff, etc.

If anyone can verify that unprovisioned modems can get an update, that would be awesome.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

It will be important for those experiencing RF issues right now to check in with whether or not these updates have any effect.

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
nice got updated....haven't received any calls from home regarding the modem spontaneously spitting out timbits!

Edit: according the logs the update was pushed to me at 6 AM today.

yyzUnderdog
Premium Member
join:2001-11-24
Mississauga, ON

yyzUnderdog to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
I checked mine from work but it hasn't been pushed yet.

Do you have to be on ATPIA for this to happen?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

3 edits

TwiztedZero to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
For reference: Motorola Release Notes Snippet.

This is from the Motorola boards here on DSLr - more specific to the SB6141 but also applies to the SB6120 and SB6121 since they share the same firmware family.

If anyone can get ahold of the FULL release notes for SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH (came out mid-March 2013) and link us it'd be great to have on hand. It'd be good to know what got "fixed" between builds since SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH so we do have some generalized ideas as to all of what bugfixes address.

Until then we can only guess and fill in blanks on what changed since the last build eh.

I do remember off hand some of the T3 and T4 's were addressed in the 1.0.6.8 builds that we never saw up here.

Another snippet from the .10 build.

paRaMeND
join:2008-06-06

paRaMeND to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I see that this is for the specific models listed but I am wondering if this means that Rogers et all, will now be willing to upgrade firmware
for all the approved modems when it is needed, or is this a one time deal?
abugg046
join:2010-04-02
Orleans, ON

abugg046 to The Mongoose

to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

It will be important for those experiencing RF issues right now to check in with whether or not these updates have any effect.

I've been having pretty serious issues related to poor SNR and power levels. My modem has been trying to re-range constantly and showing T3 timeouts in the log and one of my upstream channels just shows 0dBmv power level and "aborted". Hence, my internet is completely down.

I'm still waiting for a reply from rogers to confirm a ticket has been opened but maybe if this firmware push goes through the problem will go away... I'll let you know.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to paRaMeND

Premium Member

to paRaMeND
said by paRaMeND:

I see that this is for the specific models listed but I am wondering if this means that Rogers et all, will now be willing to upgrade firmware
for all the approved modems when it is needed, or is this a one time deal?

Looks to be a one time deal. Generally they won't push firmware they even stipulate so in the tariff's. That they're even doing it now is a complete surprise. So we'll take it while we can.

A similiar situation happened back in Sept. 2011 or2012, I forget which - when they pushed the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH build for a month or so. After that time period they refused to push anymore, and thats why we ended up with 3rd parties doing it for us the past while instead because we simply had no choice.

Its just UNREAL sometimes.
tommyv2
London, ON

tommyv2 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by tommyv2:

It should work. I'm gonna try it with my deactivated one.

Any luck on the deactivated one?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Looks to be a one time deal. Generally they won't push firmware they even stipulate so in the tariff's. That they're even doing it now is a complete surprise. So we'll take it while we can.

I think they knew there would be huge backlash, because there are thousands of these modems in use by TPIA's, who have no method of upgrading them, and it would risk disturbing service to existing users. after that they wont care.
HiVolt

HiVolt to tommyv2

Premium Member

to tommyv2
said by tommyv2:

I just plugged it in, i will leave it on for several days to see.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by tommyv2:

I really doubt it will update, but of course it is still worth trying.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

if it doesn't update, I hope TSI can send a SN/MAC to rogers and they will push it. I dont want a boat anchor, I might need it someday.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

The firmware upgrade is a one-time procedure and any modems deployed after these dates will likely have issues and firmware updates will not be redeployed.

Ridiculous. To be even marginally effective, they'd need to keep upgrading for at least 3 months.

When this happened with the SB6120 before, Rogers pushed firmware for something like 1 year, and kept upgrading for around 3 months after they announced that they had stopped. So, despite the ridiculous wording, I'm not THAT worried about a disaster here.. We'll see
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

if it doesn't update, I hope TSI can send a SN/MAC to rogers and they will push it. I dont want a boat anchor, I might need it someday.

Considering they don't even activate SB6120/SB6121 anymore, it already is a brick.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

They do still activate it, where did you hear that? It just must have a required fw version.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

They do still activate it, where did you hear that? It just must have a required fw version.

In fact, I think Vmedia is using SB6120/21 for A LOT of customers. Of course at Teksavvy and Start there are no issues activating them, although they are less common nowadays. In the last month or two it has become very very hard to talk Acanac into accepting one.
dragonzealot
join:2011-07-28
Toronto, ON

dragonzealot to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
embracing this move cause I have an under rev 6121

Did upgrading F/W caused a lot of subscribers grief last time and Rogers stopped doing this ?
NorthYork
join:2002-11-08
North York, ON

1 edit

NorthYork to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
No update yet at Yonge/Sheppard.
p.s. Modem has been "flacky" for weeks. Usually Upstream CH 3 status changes to "aborted". All the other specs are OK.

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: 31700100160178160*******
firmware Build Time: May 12 2011 15:15:14

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to dragonzealot

Premium Member

to dragonzealot
said by dragonzealot:

Did upgrading F/W caused a lot of subscribers grief last time and Rogers stopped doing this ?

The upgrade to 1.0.6.1 was fine, as far as I can tell. The previous upgrade, which I think was 1.0.2.4, was a disaster.

Please confirm here when Rogers upgrades your modem. There is a very slight chance that they'll be checking if you have 1.0.6.1 before upgrading. I mean, it will be super stupid if they don't, but proof would be nice

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

they announced that they had stopped.

Actually there wasn't any announcement at all, they just simply stopped. And it wasn't "discovered" until some people couldn't get their Direct Forum requests for a firmware push put through, which is pretty much how we found out. Word got around pretty soon after that... which eventually lead to the need for an alternate way to get hold of firmware for them.
mrdylanblue
join:2013-02-27
Brampton, ON

mrdylanblue to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by tommyv2:

I'll do the same with my deactivated SB6120 and see if it will update.
dragonzealot
join:2011-07-28
Toronto, ON

dragonzealot to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
Ha ha, I have been checking hourly if I got updated since

F/W hungry, ha ha