Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drpepp3r

join:2013-11-08
Cannon Afb, NM

[Connectivity] High Latency Issues

Click for full size
For about 5-8 days now I've been getting high latency/packet loss. Sometimes it would go back to normal and then maybe after an hour or 2 the high latency comes back. I was wondering if it's just me or my area. An update on that would be nice.

It starts at Hop 2 according to the PP. It's set to 10 sec intervals. I'll keep it running for now.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Hop 2 points to your modem upstream being saturated. Take a look at ALL programs that could possibly be using any bandwidth on your computer. Also check your network if you are using a router. Check your wifi too. Keep running your PP so you can get a copy of it to SDLtech, but a laggy hop 2 is usually a saturated modem on the customer end.

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

I've checked the network and I'm the only one on it. My laptop is hardwired to the router so it's not a WiFi issue. Havn't gotten any new programs that might affect it, I'm using the exact same setup before this problem occured. Nothing seems to be running that is out of the ordinary.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Come monday, get ahold of SDLtech off the approved tech list here on the forum. He has access to tools we don't and can see and track the latency and bandwidth consumption in real time to and from your modem and that of your neighbors.

Obviously I can't tell you that IS your problem, just passing on that the majority of the time a hop2 latency issue comes up, there's something saturating the modems upstream. Hop2 is showing you the connection between your modem and the CMTS (or some other hardware piece in the head end).

Since the issue seems to have started about a week ago, have you also tried doing a system restore to say 2 weeks ago or so. That would rule out any piece of adware that could have been accidentally installed. And your laptop may be plugged directly to the router, but have you actually logged into the router and disabled the wifi if you do not intend to use it?

Being an intermittent problem like you suggest in the OP, you'll need to keep an eye out and when the latency issue spikes check and see what all is running, if there is a program maybe doing an auto update,,,, a torrent program accidently left on and uploading,,, possibly a game client doing a peer-to-peer upload.

Sadly there's not much SL will do for you on the weekend, but it gives you time to get as much info as you can gathered up to help out SDLtech next week.
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

I now at least have an idea of what is going on. Only thing on the wifi is my phone and occasional my 3DS. I've got pretty much nothing running on startup other then essentials so I've tried rebooting my laptop, the modem, and the router.

Thanks for the replies, I'll continue to collect some data and do some digging.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Also, since I see now that the WiFi is indeed being used, it would be a good idea to change the encryption password too (wpa/wpa2/wep), just to rule out anyone riding on the signal.

Oh, you could also grab a screenshot of the signal page from your modem status site, usually something like 192.168.100.1 (my particualr modem)

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
reply to drpepp3r

Make sure to run PP for a good 24 hour period if you haven't already before you it send to SDL L3Tech. He'll also need your current IP (whatismyip.com) and also your MAC address.

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

1 edit
reply to drpepp3r

Click for full size
Click for full size
Just a little update. Played a little LoL from 8 to 10 ping was normal. Played PoE from 11 to 1, a little laggy but not too noticeable. Stopped all activity and left. Came back around 4:30 to play some more PoE. A little bit more noticeable lag, then huge packet loss? and got disconnected. I've got SSID broadcast disabled but I went ahead and changed the pw last night, and I've already cross checked devices on my wifi.

Edit: Apparently the modem likes to restart itself, maybe I should get a new one?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

can you post a screenshot of the modem signal page please?

Also, disabling SSID broadcast is only useful to just keep people from one click joining your network. All that has to be done to find it though is to just use any sweeper because your network is still continuously transmitting. It's a good practice to change the password every 30 days or so. On my network I also use an alphanumeric RNG to make my passwords, probably overkill but the neighbors network is now a WHOLE lot easier to get into, lol.

Edit... Can you also zoom the time scale for the chart in to 24 or 12 hours?

--

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

Click for full size
Here you go, zoomed in. I guessing that's the signal page. I turned off UPnP in router settings around 8:45, I don't know if that helped it a little or not. Still getting a lag spike every now and then.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

UPnP shouldn't be able to cause anything like that.

Yeah, that's the signal page. Your signal is marginally ok. You'd ideally want the downstream power range between +8/-8 and the upstream power in the 40s. You're right on the edge to the point that if it wasn't actually NOT working, a tech would call the signal ok and leave w/out doing anything.

How is your house wired up, in reference to your modem? Do you have a direct line coming from the entry box to the modem or is your modem behind a couple other spliters from tvs? And I know it sounds silly but unscrew all the cable ends from tvs and modem and then rescrew them on and give them just a slight snugging w/ a small wrench (just enough so you can't unscrew it by fingers, 5-10lbs maybe?)
--

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

I'm in a dorm so I'm not entirely sure how it's set up other than the cable from the wall going straight to the modem.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

Good thing that doesn't complicate matters for ya! lol

Just keep your PP going and drop SDLtech a message for tomorow

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

2 edits
reply to drpepp3r

Stopped PP after the above. Decided to try a friend's modem to see if it was specifically my modem. Going to run PP on that for a little.

Edit: Getting the same problem with friend's modem.

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28
reply to drpepp3r

Hello drpepp3r. I see the problem but it is not something I can fix remotely. I have contacted the appropriate local management and engineers to work out a fix and will let you know when I receive an update.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

Welp, that's good in the aspect you don't have some hidden issue on your computer taking up your bandwidth! SDLtech should have you back up soon now that he's found your problem. Good luck!

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28
reply to drpepp3r

Hello drpepp3r. You should be good to go now if you'd watch your connection tonight and let me know.

drpepp3r

Cannon Afb, NM

I've been running PP for about 4 and a half hours now and it seems to be fixed. No spikes or packet loss so far. I should be good to go but I'm going to keep it running for the tonight just to be sure. Thanks for all the help.