how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

espgodson

join:2012-02-12
Batesville, AR

[Speed] 107/5 package getting bad speeds & bufferinggggg

usually i'm complaining about latency but i realize the routing will never get fixed so i'm like over that :3 but now i've been trying to watch twitch.tv streams and it does nothing but buffer constantly. as far as these speedtests go its for every location in dallas and chicago on speedtest.net the tech that came to my house last time gave me the login info for the suddenlink speedtest even though he said he wasn't supposed to but i forgot the info so i can't check those. all i know is i can't watch anything and its really frustrating. the highest speeds we have ever got were 70mb down and it usually stays around 30-50. we upgraded from the 50/3 to 107/5

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101919518.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101924464.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101925920.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101926936.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101928877.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101930414.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101931930.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/3101933071.png

espgodson

join:2012-02-12
Batesville, AR
decided to call because i figure tomorrow my internet would get like 30mb down and they would say that everything was normal =P

tech coming on monday will update if anyone else is having these issues

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
What kind of speeds do you get on a sustained download from a high speed source?

Do you have a 24 hour PP to any of the twitch.tv servers? That would show you exactly where the problem is happening.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to espgodson
I've been having issues with twitch.tv as well. I think its something between the twitch cdn and our isp, either latency or simply overloaded.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28

3 edits
reply to espgodson
Are your slow speeds and twitch problems only during peak-time? How are your speeds at around 8am in the mornings?

*Edit*
I also reduced your latency by about 15-20ms to the destination that you originally sent me (should most offnet destinations depending on location).

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
reply to espgodson
I would not recommend upgrading to 107mb packages until 8 channel bonding is available.

Each downstream has a total capacity 37.5mb minus overhead which brings it down to about 36mb. 36mb multiplied by 4 downstreams equals 144mb total within a 4 channel downstream group. What this means is that if all of the other customers on your downstream group use at little as 37mb combined, your 107mb contract will begin to degrade, which is very easy to do.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
You forgot the part where getting 107 is the only way to get more upload than 3 megs..... If the price wasn't down right ridiculous I would have it myself just for that, lol

jkaufman
Premium
join:2013-09-26
Tyler, TX
reply to espgodson
Am having buffering problems as well with Twit.tv (not twitch.tv) on my Roku. I have the 107/5 package in Tyler, Tx

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by jkaufman:

Am having buffering problems as well with Twit.tv (not twitch.tv) on my Roku.

Do you have the same buffering problem when you go there on your computer?

Spent several hours yesterday watching a friend stream on twitch.tv from over in Japan, only had momentary hiccups here and there, no buffering problem.
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

jkaufman
Premium
Tyler, TX
not as bad with the PC. With TWIT.TV, he PC uses the uStream CDN for the stream but the Roku uses the FloSoft CDN for the stream

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
That's odd. So you're actually getting your stream from two different servers. I may add the twit.tv to my roku and see if the same problem happens.

Edit>> Just loaded up episode 1031 of the tech guy on my computer on twit.tv and it buffered the whole show in about 3 minutes, so not seeing the problem from here on pc. will try roku tonight

jkaufman
Premium
Tyler, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
My understanding is that ustream is free but only supports flash so they prefer that users use the ustream or other flash feeds on devices that support it. FloSoft is HTML5 and costs them more. Anyhow it's very annoying when it happens. Though it only happens to the live feeds. The pre-recorded content streams just fine.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
That seems a little backwards when you consider Roku said they didn't have a YouTube channel because YouTube required them to use html5 and the roku/roku2 lines aren't up to streaming on html5 yet.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to jkaufman
Clicking the live stream button on the website crashed my computer, twice. So, not sure what is up with that O.o but I'll look on the roku if i can later