signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Looking for a web/Firefox player that will do this

I have started listening to Keith Rowland's Dark Matter Radio online (while waiting for Art Bell's return). The problem is, if I lay down to sleep with it playing (having radio on helps me fall asleep, I cannot sleep without it), it plays without ceasing all night, and when I awaken I'm not as well rested. CoasttocastAM show stops after 4 hours, I was wondering if there is a player that I can use to play a webcast that will let me preset a shut off time, or a duration to play.

FlsRend
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA

FlsRend

Premium Member

Not exactly what you've asked for, but have you considered a different approach? Try setting task scheduler to mute the system volume at a certain time. You could simply un-mute when you're ready or schedulae it to un-mute at a particular time if you want to wake to the radio too.

Check this for a little help...»edmullen.net/audio_w7.php
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

quote:
Try setting task scheduler to mute the system volume at a certain time.
Exactly what I was gonna suggest!!

About Art bell: I doubt he will be back,its sad but as others have said ITS OVER and i think they are right!!! - He wanted to get out of it.......... (I DIDNT THINK HE REALLY WANTED TO DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!)

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Looking for a web/Firefox player that will do this

Other than what has been mentioned there are programs that can do it depending on variables you set.

"Shutdown Timer provides the solution to this dilemma and a number of other scenarios by shutting down your computer when certain conditions are met. The conditions can be based on time, processor activity, memory activity or network activity."
»www.makeuseof.com/tag/au ··· windows/
»sinvise.net/software/shu ··· wn-timer

Personally have not used it and poking around google, there are others free and paid. used 'auto shut down computer'

Another
»www.softpedia.com/get/Sy ··· wn.shtml

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I don't want to shut down the computer, only stop the audio stream. I cannot use the shut down computer method.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Sorry, read and reread your OP, before posting my ideas and guess I missed it. Did you even look at some of the links I provided and what those programs do? Did you check Google?

Using Google and reading what some of many programs do, the programs can do a number of things to the computer. Put it into sleep mode, for one. Also can use a Batch file to do all manner of things and the same or Task Manager.

Was trying to read your mind but unable to tell/- are you having the computer do other things when the audio stream is stopped? Are you on a cap and want to keep that in control? Is this a Lappy or Desktop? Trying to save on electricity costs? Or just treat the computer like a programmable radio or TV? [my TV has wakeup settings and sleep settings]?

Was just trying to be helpful with some other cheap or free options. Good luck, the solution to your question is out there.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Yes, you ARE helping, thank you! Ok, answering questions:

Haven't had a chance yet (just got back from registering at the college and working) to look at the programs.

Ok, the computer in question runs folding@home, so it is normally left on, and it is an old Phenom II based box so shutting down or rebooting takes something like 15 minutes, so I avoid it, I get up at 4:45 AM and I don't want to get up any earlier just to fire up shut down system, so there's that.

There is no bandwidth Cap at the moment (AFAICT), but there might be one soon in the future, but that is not an immediate concern, just later on it might be.

It is a desktop, but I also have a laptop I want to do the same things.

At the moment my electric bill is very low because I am very careful, so that isn't a big worry ATM. I'd like to treat the computers like programmable radios.

OSs are Win 7 and Win 8.1 on the lappy.

THANK YOU!

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to signmeuptoo94

Anon

to signmeuptoo94
Personally, I've never found "talk radio" to be especially sleep-inducing. Having "noise" (white or otherwise) doesn't typically help [me] either. However, I do find music to help, so what I've done for quite a few years... I have hundreds of CDs that I ripped years ago, most of which I bought because I wanted the album as opposed to one or more tracks on the album. I simply selected a number of albums I like which add up to the desired time period and play them in sequence. The same music being played at the same time (when you're sleepy--or just want to be) in the same sequence tells your mind subconsciously that it's "time to sleep", and this actually does help get me to sleep--quickly. I use fb2k but any music player works as well. And if you prefer--instead of playing the list just once, you can repeat the playlist for continuous play, because the music also helps to drown out other random noises that might otherwise wake you up after the playlist would have completed. I'd always get a complete night's sleep and feel well-rested (when the $*!#% alarm wakes me up). Just something else to consider.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Need talk radio. I am bipolar and listening to other people chat about mildly interesting things gets my mind off of myself and my racing thoughts. Music worked for me when I was younger, but now I need talk.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

So eh, what about the scheduled mute idea?

Maybe an autohotkey script to close the browser?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Well, the problem with auto mute is my wife in Cebu sometimes comes online to skype or yahoo messenger with me at a late hour.

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to signmeuptoo94

Anon

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

I am bipolar...

We all are to a lesser or greater degree. It's the human condition, even with the medicos wanting to give everyone a "label". My sister says her "bipolarness" is greatly alleviated the more she restricts her diet to natural/organic foods, esp. to the elimination of gluten and "engineered" grains (such as you find in almost all commercial bread products). It's all about chemistry and keeping bad chemicals/ingredients out of your body. Diet is everything.

Anyway, it took me a couple/few weeks before the "music treatment" really began to work. If it doesn't work for you, then it might work for others. "YMMV" is always the case.

FlsRend
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA

FlsRend to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Well, the problem with auto mute is my wife in Cebu sometimes comes online to skype or yahoo messenger with me at a late hour.

Could always schedule a task to kill firefox at a certain hour instead of all sound.
I haven't looked at exactly what you're listening to, but what about using VLC player or something similar to stream the audio. There are tons of plugins and extensions for it...surly one would fit your needs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I'll look into it! So VLC has plugins and extensions? I had no idea!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94

VLC is quite an awesome player

This program here is supposed to be a runner up but I havent tried it

PURE PLAYER: »www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html

Many like the sound it gives (Much like VLCs enhanced playback mode)

»www.diyaudio.com/forums/ ··· t=184990 (Click LAST to see latest replies)