uniqs
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

[Internet] WiFi Hotspot Feedback Thread - Help make BHN WiFi even better!

We want to know how we can make BHN WiFi Hotspot service even better. Use this thread to:

1) Suggest a new hotspot location
To suggest a new hotspot location please provide: Business name, GPS coordinates / Pinpoint on Google maps, Intersecting streets

2) General feedback about BHN Wifi Hotspots or Cable Wifi service
If your feedback is about a specific location be sure to include as much information as possible.

3) Report connectivity or speed issues for a particular hotspot

Before reporting issues with a specific location take a moment to read the following:

1) You may connect to "Bright House Networks" or "CableWiFi". They both provide the same level of service, the difference being that CableWiFi will allow you to connect with our roaming partners (Time Warner, Comcast, Cablevision, and Cox).

2) The first time your device connects to the BHN managed hotspot, you will have a different experience based on your device. Apple iOS will engage with the CNA (Captive Network Assistant) and automatically launches the portal. Android will present you with a notification asking you to sign in. All other devices will require you to access some HTTP website where you will be redirected to our portal for authentication.

3) When manually attempting a redirect to log into a captive portal network, please do not use HTTPS in your URL (this will fail). "https://www.google.com" will fail to redirect due to the inherent nature of SSL certificates (prevents using a 302 redirect). Google is typically a poor choice of website to redirect on as many users have "https://www.google.com" as their default landing page. "http://www.baynews9.com/" will work as the website does not use SSL certificates.

4) If you have a specific Hotspot which is not providing adequate service, please create a BHN Direct post including as much information as possible (address, business name, client MAC address, client IP address, etc).
Gator5000e
join:2013-09-02
Altamonte Springs, FL

Gator5000e

1. Suggested Location - Cranes Roost Park in Altamonte Springs. Cranes Roost circles Cranes Roost Lake and is bordered by I-4, E. Central Parkway, Festival Drive and SR 436. While providing WiFi at this general location would benefit the many folks who use the 1.1 mile walking path around the lake, it would also benefit patrons of the local restaurant and movie theater, Murano's Cafe and Altamonte 18.

2. I seem to have an issue with connecting to BHN WiFi in the 17-92/Lee Road area near Winter Park Village with my iPhone 5s. It will show as connected but the page will never load. I have told the phone to forget the service in hopes that it would call up the log in page again, but it never does. And forget connecting to CableFi, i can never seem to connect to that service (I tried while up in NY over the holiday but no luck - didn't recognize the myservices log in credentials.

3. I will make sure of the details of problem areas next time I try to log into the service.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Have you followed the troubleshooting steps detailed above?
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Click for full size
Only one I'd like to see is signage. I know it would be tough to do, especially in all area boundaries. I was surprised to see I have connectivity at our Dentists office, and according to the Wifi map (see the attached, dentist listed on the may out of the area) I wasn't expecting to be able to get connected.

SparkyinCFL

MVM
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL

1 recommendation

SparkyinCFL to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert
If anyone is curious as to where to find the map ... as I was ... it took me a little bit to find it ...

»brighthouse.com/central- ··· net_wifi

Scroll down to the lower part of the page.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I've been using it without many issues. However, my phone will revert back to 4G LTE if it detects a bad wifi connection. So, maybe I am just not noticing.

It's keeping me well below my cap from VZW so I'm happy.

I'll report if I have any particular problems or notice anything strange, since I get around most of the TB area for work. I even get to Orlando quite often and it's worked well for me over there also.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Allow users the opportunity to secure their own data by allowing VPN pass through. currently i log in using my phones data plan and VPN to prevent my data from being accessed and scraped.

the combination of no VPN access, & no SSL makes me feel like I'm just logging in to a big honey pot that has been set up to track users and scrape data.

Without these its not technically internet access, but a walled garden.
velicos
join:2011-07-14
Tampa, FL

velicos

said by tlg:

Allow users the opportunity to secure their own data by allowing VPN pass through.

Do you have problems connecting to your VPN endpoint while on BHN WiFi?

If BHN enabled WPA2/AES encryption (802.1x), would you use it?

tlg
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

tlg

Premium Member

VPN - Can't connect, but can connect through my phone, McD's wifi, Mall WiFi, but not BHN. PPTP, Open VPN, and IPSec all fail.

Would I use it, yes. Would I pass customer or financial data on it, no. I have a VPN router on my home connection that I connect to where the data is stored, but the limitations on the BHN WiFi makes accessing that data that impossible on their WiFi connection.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I think a really useful feature would be the ability to register the MAC address(es) of a/several device(s) on your account so that if you are on a plan that gives you wifi access (IE: you aren't going to have to pay per session when you login) that you are automatically authenticated without having to go through the portal.

By having the portal, if you register a mobile device like a phone with a wifi hotspot that sticks you behind a captive auth portal, you lose internet connectivity (meaning email, etc) until you auth. So, if I were just walking around town and my phone hops on a hotspot and I don't realize it, I lose internet until I move out of range, authenticate, or turn off wifi.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to tlg

Premium Member

to tlg
said by tlg:

VPN - Can't connect, but can connect through my phone, McD's wifi, Mall WiFi, but not BHN. PPTP, Open VPN, and IPSec all fail.

Would I use it, yes. Would I pass customer or financial data on it, no. I have a VPN router on my home connection that I connect to where the data is stored, but the limitations on the BHN WiFi makes accessing that data that impossible on their WiFi connection.

TLG a while back we discussed this...want to revisit it...so open a direct and want engage some others.

tlg
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

tlg

Premium Member

I think you may have me confused with someone else. We've never discussed this. I've chosen not to use it and have other solutions that do what I need. The thread was seeking feedback, I simply gave mine, wasn't personal, just my point of view.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tlg:

I think you may have me confused with someone else. We've never discussed this. I've chosen not to use it and have other solutions that do what I need. The thread was seeking feedback, I simply gave mine, wasn't personal, just my point of view.

Didn't take it personal at all....actually want to solve it if I can...thats the only reason for the direct...however I will need to get some additional info like MACS for devices etc...
Gator5000e
Altamonte Springs, FL

Gator5000e to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I think what makes it difficult is when you are in the car and the signal strength ebbs and flows from 3 bars to 2 bars to one bar to nothing and various strengths in between. For instance, I was listening to my SiriusXM app yesterday and driving from around the Costco on SR 434 just south of SR 436 north on SR434 to I-4. The signal was so up and down and down and at parts absent, that most of the time I got zero stream on my iphone. I finally had to turn WiFi off and go straight cellular signal. Also, while driving it's very difficult to gather the info asked for in the first post. I guess I understand this is not supposed to be a seemless blanket of wifi signal but the inconsistent signal hurts more than anything, It seems.

Anyway, my 2 cents, for what it's worth.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Gator5000e:

I think what makes it difficult is when you are in the car and the signal strength ebbs and flows from 3 bars to 2 bars to one bar to nothing and various strengths in between. For instance, I was listening to my SiriusXM app yesterday and driving from around the Costco on SR 434 just south of SR 436 north on SR434 to I-4. The signal was so up and down and down and at parts absent, that most of the time I got zero stream on my iphone. I finally had to turn WiFi off and go straight cellular signal. Also, while driving it's very difficult to gather the info asked for in the first post. I guess I understand this is not supposed to be a seemless blanket of wifi signal but the inconsistent signal hurts more than anything, It seems.

Anyway, my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Let's not confuse mobile service with wifi hotspots each has a purpose and while each may overlap in their secondary roles they will not in primary.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Gator5000e

to Gator5000e
said by Gator5000e:

Also, while driving it's very difficult to gather the info asked for in the first post. I guess I understand this is not supposed to be a seemless blanket of wifi signal but the inconsistent signal hurts more than anything, It seems.

You really shouldn't use it in the car like that. Wifi will never be able to provide that kind of coverage. Even if they blanketed your town with tens of thousands of APs, you'd be bouncing so much between them you'd get poor service
Gator5000e
Altamonte Springs, FL

Gator5000e to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I guess I thought that was the purpose of the hotspots. Thanks for the clarification. It's just that unless I turn off wifi while in the car, my phone will try to connect to the wifi network automatically which results in what I mentioned above. But I will try to remember to turn it off while driving around town.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

See my previous post about why you shouldn't set BHN/Cablewifi to auto connect anyway. Even if you were strolling down the street, it breaks connectivity until you login to the portal.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

That's not always the case. I logged into the portal the first time I set up my phone to connect to the BHN hotspots several weeks ago and haven't had to login again since. I leave the wifi on because I am not running any streaming apps where a momentary interruption when it switches back to LTE or hops to another AP would affect me.
Art Deco
join:2011-04-27

Art Deco to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Same here, I've noticed my phone connect to numerous hotspots around North Pinellas without any need to log in.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
It should only be an issue for streaming applications (i.e. long-term single connection), like the Sirius app mentioned above. Inevitably, it will also depend on how the developers coded the network activity...but most mobile devs will write code tolerant of drops/reconnects.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to John97

Premium Member

to John97
said by John97:

That's not always the case. I logged into the portal the first time I set up my phone to connect to the BHN hotspots several weeks ago and haven't had to login again since. I leave the wifi on because I am not running any streaming apps where a momentary interruption when it switches back to LTE or hops to another AP would affect me.

This is correct...your device is remembered for a period of time. However there is a huge difference between mobile wireless technology and wifi. You can roam and auto connect but there will be drops when going from AP to AP whereas cellular technology hands off and "appears" to be more seamless (for starters).

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to mixdup

Premium Member

to mixdup
That should not be the case, at least not in my area. I regularly will be sitting at a parking lot for whatever reason, will notice it caught onto a BHN hotspot and still have connectivity without having to log back in.

Edit: Oops, didn't see some of the other posts yet with some saying the same thing...
Ohm_Boy
join:2005-03-06
Orlando, FL

Ohm_Boy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Well, since you asked...

My concern revolves around having to use my actual 'my services' account credentials to authenticate to the hotspots. It bothers me that anyone could set up a fake hotspot and capture customer's account credentials. It is for this reason that I will not use BHN's WIFI.

I would much prefer to have an option in My Services to be able to create a wifi connection login, which could then be used to authenticate to the WIFI hotspots. If those creds were compromised, I could easily change them without affecting my BHN account.

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

1 recommendation

Milkman0

Ohm_Boy...

If you can find a single hotspot to authenticate onto, that you are positive is the real thing - DO IT.... The reason being is that once you authenticate you shouldn't have to do it again on that device. The authentication is populated via your MAC address across the entire network. I assume there may be a time out, whereas if your device hasn't been seen on the network in a while, it may ask you to reauthenticate, but I haven't had that problem yet.

Also, create a sub-account that you don't use. Make is an account you just use for this purpose. That way if it is a fake hotspot, GREAT, they got your account info for a sub account that you don't even use.

These are all workarounds to your concern, and it is a valid concern IMO.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Ohm_Boy

Premium Member

to Ohm_Boy
said by Ohm_Boy:

Well, since you asked...

My concern revolves around having to use my actual 'my services' account credentials to authenticate to the hotspots. It bothers me that anyone could set up a fake hotspot and capture customer's account credentials. It is for this reason that I will not use BHN's WIFI.

I would much prefer to have an option in My Services to be able to create a wifi connection login, which could then be used to authenticate to the WIFI hotspots. If those creds were compromised, I could easily change them without affecting my BHN account.

You don't have to use your My Services... you can simply use your RR email address.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to Ohm_Boy

to Ohm_Boy
Isn't the authentication done over HTTPS? If so, you can get the certificate over a trusted connection, and then when using the WiFi verify the certificate is authentic.

It's a pain, and out-of-the-box consumer devices might be difficult to configure to verify the cert, but it's an option.

Vix
join:2001-12-30
Edmonds, WA

Vix to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I live in a building that includes free BHN cable, but the owner's business contract with BHN prevents me from being able to order my own cable internet access. My only options are Verizon LTE, or DSL from horribly inept CenturyLink. If I require reliable high speed internet access (scratch CenturyLink) or I don't want to absorb massive overage charges for LTE, (Verizon) I have the option to connect to a BHN wifi hotspot from everywhere in my apartment, as well as from my office a few blocks away. The problem I have is that BHN pay per access is $20 a week, making cable access $80+ per month. There are no monthly wifi only plans, just hourly/daily/weekly. I've even asked BHN customer service to sell me a regular internet plan and not install the hardware, but to date, still no-go because my address is officially outside of your service area. (But I get BHN TV service... go figure)

Please consider longer term wifi only service for people like me who may live outside of your official service areas, but are almost always within wifi service range.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Vix:

I live in a building that includes free BHN cable, but the owner's business contract with BHN prevents me from being able to order my own cable internet access. My only options are Verizon LTE, or DSL from horribly inept CenturyLink. If I require reliable high speed internet access (scratch CenturyLink) or I don't want to absorb massive overage charges for LTE, (Verizon) I have the option to connect to a BHN wifi hotspot from everywhere in my apartment, as well as from my office a few blocks away. The problem I have is that BHN pay per access is $20 a week, making cable access $80+ per month. There are no monthly wifi only plans, just hourly/daily/weekly. I've even asked BHN customer service to sell me a regular internet plan and not install the hardware, but to date, still no-go because my address is officially outside of your service area. (But I get BHN TV service... go figure)

Please consider longer term wifi only service for people like me who may live outside of your official service areas, but are almost always within wifi service range.

Wait a second.... you have our TV service? If yes open a direct forums thread here »/fo ··· sedirect I want to take a closer look at this.
PEBKACLayer8
join:2014-02-01
Cocoa, FL

PEBKACLayer8 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I don't use the WiFi Hotspot service right now. Could in the future but don't see a need. But one suggestion is to not go the Comcast route and make it surreptitiously creepy:

»arstechnica.com/informat ··· hotspot/

I really wouldn't want *that* in my house.

Are the BHN WiFi hotspots are more secure than your typical cafe open network? I'd hope for some authentication based WPA2 encryption and AP isolation.