All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

jdmm72

Yee Haw, Happy Days are hear again....

So, I've been semi-happy with SL for a while now, after a massive battle over node overutilization. They installed a DOCSIS 2.0 MTA for telephone and a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for internet. Been good until today. Now on my 15/2Mbps, I am back to getting .4-.9Mbps at peak hours according to Amazon and 1.18 .... As non-peak was ending, I get 4ish Mbps. WOW, impressed!!!

Oh course, getting in touch with tech "non" support yields,

Them: reboot your...

Me: Ummmm.....how is that node split order from 2012 going????

Them: Node split ord.....???? Did you reboot your computer?

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· db&ria=0
Lindsey
join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey

yup..thats what you get when you call them in tx..if they had an office that you could call in WV than they might know whats going on
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

And again, tonight. Tried contacting them tonight, "no agents available." I reached out to Pete Abel again.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

If its really an overloaded node, it must be really really bad. Look at that ping.. 243ms. Wow.

Sure nothing weird is going on, on your system? Looking at your results history, most of the latency looks sain.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

When it happened last year, the bandwidth got so low, the Suddenlink phone quit working.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I hope they can get it sorted sometime soon for you. Sounds like they need to do some work over there.

On a totally different note, do you live in Nitro? I used to live in Charleston years ago, and there was a bridge I think in Nitro, painted orange at the time, we used to call it the stinky bridge, because there was a very strong smell of sulfur in the area. We'd be laughing as we crossed it, calling it "the stinky bridge" good days, lol.
Lindsey
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey

LOL...that is how the whole state smells.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

No, the whole state doesn't smell like that. Yes, I live in Nitro (at least on the weekends, spend the week in Fairmont for work), grew up in Saint Albans. Most of the chemical plants are gone, so Nitro doesn't stink anymore.

Anyway...Day three....

Lindsey
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey

it does when ppl burn sulfur coal all the time
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

Day 4, non-peak hours....

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to jdmm72

Premium Member

to jdmm72
Have you sent a message to Pete Abel See Profile yet?
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

Yes, I reached out to Pete, haven't received a response. Additionally, supposedly, when I called last night, they were sending a ticket to the local plant to investigate again.

To be fair, I don't believe he has been on the site since I sent the message.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Yeah, when you go to someones profile, like from the link I created to his, you can see when they were last on. He's not been on from Friday it looks.

Hope you can get some satisfaction.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

1 edit

jdmm72

Pete Abel returned my email. If we can get this fixed in a relatively short time period, I will bump my review of SL up. It sucks that you can't go through the official channels to get stuff fixed, but it is what it is.

I did glean this though from "tech" support trying to talk down to me. My node apparently has 236 modems on it, and is served by a total of 44Mbps capacity. Massively under served it that is true. That's only three of my "little" connections. Node utilization may not be the issue, the back haul seems to be awful small.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Glad something is happening for you. If they need to order a new circuit or get the current one upgraded, it might be quite some time.

44mbits sounds like a single T3.

No idea what kind of bandwidth they have here on the nodes, but it has to be quite a bit. We have the max 107 packages here now, and a single T3, well, LOL.

Just as a total guess, I'd say we prob have several OC3s or a partial OC12. An OC3 would be aprox 155mbit and a full OC12 I guess is like 612mbit.

I'd be happy to have an OC3 in my closet.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

Yeah, sounds like a t-3/DS-3 connection at 44Mbps. They also apparently offer the 107 Mbps service here also, kind of funny that the actual back haul is 44MBps, less than half of that.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

That should be illegal.

When a company offers services to the public, that involve paying for a particular speed package, they should have to reveal the bandwidth behind that product.

In your case, you seem to have been told your node is fed with aprox 44mbit of capacity. How could this be legal, if they are selling packages well over that speed?

I wonder if they meant it had about 44mbit of unused capacity.

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to jdmm72

to jdmm72
said by jdmm72:

My node apparently has 236 modems on it, and is served by a total of 44Mbps capacity.

That would be incorrect. Each downstream channel is approximately 37mb each. Multiply that by the number of channels your modem is bonding to.

Your downstream group does have a problem but not that it's limited at 44mb. Regional engineers are working to resolve the problem.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Good news then. I thought 44mbit sounded odd, and then really odd when they said they had the max 107 packages.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

1 edit

jdmm72

Well, a local management called today and asked how things are going. Speeds have been pretty consistent at about 17Mbps, and fell to about 13Mbps at 8PM. I will take that. There was apparently work done to the CMTS.

Thanks for the help.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Cool. Hope it keeps working well for you.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

And it starts again. No internet, no phone, stopped at 9:33:59 AM this morning according to my line monitor. New neighbors moved in, anyone want to bet the installation tech screwed it up?

Of course, tech "no" support insists it is the modems (plural) I have a MTA for phone and a completely separate DOCSIS 3.0 modem just for internet. I must have another visit to my home, they insist.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Just commenting on the backhaul, the little rural town I used to live in about 4-5 years ago had the entire town serviced with 3 to 5 rented T1 lines from the phone co at any given time. Share that with around 200 modems. You simply didn't do streaming video, lol
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

So, get service back at 12:30 today, contact support to figure the problem out.... Looks like I was disconnected for non-payment with a $00.00 balance due. Oh, scratch that, you were just disconnected for unknown reasons.
Chat Transcript

You have been connected to Marc L..

Marc L.: Hello, Jeremy! Thank you for choosing Suddenlink Online Support. My name is Marc and I would be happy to assist you today.

Marc L.: What may I assist you with?

Jeremy Mynhier: What was the problem with my service

Marc L.: I am not sure I understand. I am not aware of any problems you've been having, so I don't have any reference.

Jeremy Mynhier: Maybe you should view my history

Jeremy Mynhier: What did the tech find today?

Marc L.: Just a moment while I check.

Marc L.: I show that the line outside your home was disconnected by a tech, so they reconnected the line.

Jeremy Mynhier: Why was the line outside of my house disconnected by a tech?

Marc L.: Unfortunately, I do not know.

Marc L.: Typically when you're scheduled for a hard disconnection, as you were, it's common for technicians to come by and disconnect the line early. That may be what happened.

Jeremy Mynhier: a hard disconnection?

Marc L.: I apologize, the work order I was looking at for the hard disconnection was showing 6/24 but it was a glitch so that was actually in April. There is no reason I can see on the account, then, that a tech would disconnect the line. It may not have been a tech, for all the information about it on your account.

Jeremy Mynhier: So, let me get this straight. I was disconnected for an overdue bill in April, which I did not receive and rectified the issue when I finally was informed IN APRIL.

Marc L.: I'm sorry? What I'm saying is that the issue that occurred today had nothing to do with that, that was a mistake I was seeing in the system.

Marc L.: All I know about what happened today is that a technician came out and found that the line was disconnected.

Jeremy Mynhier: I don't believe that. I believe that you said that you saw an order for disconnection for 6/24 and that even though it was a mistake, it was still there, and then a week later, my internet/phone get physically disconnected.

Marc L.: I apologize, I may not have been clear enough with how I worded it. All I meant is that there was a hard disconnection scheduled for 4/24. The system made it look like it was for 6/27, until I updated the page. It was a glitch. I saw it incorrectly.

Marc L.: The issue that happened today has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Jeremy Mynhier: Not just unprovisioned, physically disconnected.

Marc L.: Please review my message above. We do disconnect your line when you have not paid your bill, after the soft disconnection which happens on our end. But again, this has absolutely nothing with the issue that occurred today. That was all back in April and is not related.

Jeremy Mynhier: Like it was a "glitch" that your tech disconnected my line.

Jeremy Mynhier: I don't buy it.

Marc L.: Okay, well I'm not sure what more I can tell you.

Jeremy Mynhier: This needs to be escalated, because I'm going to send it up the chain on my side
jdmm72

jdmm72

Chat of day, asking for pro-rate.... Question? Why was I disconnect. Today, Opps, we were trying to disconnect a neighbor, opps, sorry.
Chat Transcript

You have been connected to Heather D..

Heather D.: Hi jdmm72! Thank you for choosing Suddenlink Online Support. My name is Heather and I would be happy to assist you today.

Heather D.: I see you are looking into a credit for your account?

jdmm72: Holding since 11:21 PM

jdmm72: Yep

Heather D.: Holding?

jdmm72: Yes

Heather D.: Do you mean you have been holding, on the phone, waiting to speak to someone?>

jdmm72: Waiting for you, documentation

Heather D.: I am not showing an outage in your area at this time.

Heather D.: I show that your modem has been online for 24 hours and counting.

jdmm72: You disconnected my line at 9:33 AM on 7/1/2014, and you reconnected it yesterday(7/2/2014) at 12:24 PM.

jdmm72: So, NO it hasn't been online for 24 hours, and it went back down at 2:24PM yesterday and came back at 6:25PM yesterday

Heather D.: For security purposes, can you please provide me with your account pin number?

jdmm72: I provided it in the form.

Heather D.: That is not the pin number we show to have on file.

jdmm72: Okay you are right, 1234

Heather D.: I am not showing that any disconnect has been done since June of 2011.

jdmm72: REALLY, WE ARE REALLY GOING TO DO THIS?

jdmm72: WHAT DID YOUR TECH DO YESTERDAY DURING THE APPOINTMENT

Heather D.: Bear with me just a moment to look into your account further.

Heather D.: I apologize for that. I do see where the technician had to come out to reconnect. Let me look into that credit for you.

jdmm72: Okay

jdmm72: Phone was out also

Heather D.: I have a credit of $3.84 applied to the bill for the 24 hours you were without services. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Heather D.: Are there any additional services or questions that I can help you with today?

jdmm72: 24 hours?

Heather D.: That is correct. Services were out as of 07/01 and restored on 07/02/14.

jdmm72: 9:24 AM on 07/01 and restored at 6:24 PM on 07/02

Heather D.: It goes by the date in the system. I will submit a one time $5 credit for the inconvenience.

jdmm72: And I still haven't gotten a reason as to why your company thought it prudent to disconnect my line in the first place.

Heather D.: I show that it was done in error. Apparently, it was supposed to be done to another customer's services but was done to yours, by the technician, by mistake.

Heather D.: I have that credited and notated on the account now.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to jdmm72

Premium Member

to jdmm72
Hope you get it resolved soon. I've been there before, and done that, a while back. I don't have as many problems anymore.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

I doubt it will ever be fixed. It's been going since February 2012. I would switch, but to whom. Kind of a monopoly now.

I do like how they originally said, "you were disconnected for non-payment, oh wait, no you were, sorry, that is unrelated."

Then...

"You were disconnected because your neighbor was supposed to be disconnected."
areacode304
join:2006-08-26
WV

areacode304

Seems to me like they couldn't find their own ass with a map and a flashlight. Jesus, man. There's so much blame shifting and other such bullshit that there's no way to get the truth.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

So, this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I've been working from home with the permission of my employer (I'm a Java developer for a contractor of NOAA.gov.) At around noon each day, my internet dropped, and phone went out. Completely lost sync on both modems. Then it started flapping up and down for about 30 minutes, then no trouble the rest of the day. Well, again, they unilaterally made an appointment for SUNDAY morning and showed up at my house this morning. Surprise, he found nothing, and I noticed high latency in my logs, which indicated that the net went out again today.
jdmm72

1 edit

jdmm72

Click for full size
And today, I get home from being away all week to no internet. Call SeldemLink up and am subsequently told that I haven't had a service appointment since 2012. I reply, you were out here Sunday. I get, "I see that, but I have no notes of that appointment."

From the line monitor, I see that my internet went down on Tuesday, and then again Wednesday through late Thursday.

And apparently twice on Friday as of 11:16 AM this morning.