spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Danny13
join:2014-04-10
Canada

1 edit

Danny13

Mobile satellite on tripod - what are the options these days?

I want to get economical satellite internet for my RV, I travel backroads in BC, Canada far from any cell reception.

I have done some reading around the net and I see that the newer setups don't let you move your dish around. The old HN7000 I read will allow you to move it but I also see info saying that new accounts are not available for the old dishes.

Can someone chime in with info and/or point me to some links on this please?

Also are the modems and dishes matched or can I put a HN7000 modem on a newer dish? There is a HN9000 with a dish for $50 locally but can I put a HN7000 on that dish?

Thanks

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

9000 & Gen4 systems require that you not only have line of sight to the Bird but also be within the "foot print" of a "beam". As such they need to remain within a very narrow area.

Hughes has stopped new installs of 7000's except yo Alaska.
There is however VARs that still offer 7000 service but the costs appear higher than the legacy Hughes offerings.

One place that may offer some options:
»www.montanasatellite.com

Not promoting ...you understand.
Danny13
Canada

Danny13

Thanks for the reply and link. So far I see the Bgan units are the coolest remote option but seriously the rates are not touchable for the average person. Theres gotta be a way!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Danny13

to Danny13
said by Danny13:

Also are the modems and dishes matched or can I put a HN7000 modem on a newer dish?

It's physically possible to connect the two, but the different operating frequency of the outdoor equipment means you'd never connect with HugnesNet. The HN7000S must connect via Ku-band, the HN9000 is Ka-band.

If you ever travel takes you as far south as western Kentucky, I have all the HN7000 equipment you'll need short of the tripod itself.

//greg//

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to Danny13

MVM

to Danny13
New service for an HN7000 is pretty much limited to a VAR, and they are generally only offering business accounts. Montana Satellite was mentioned, but I think they are reselling a VAR account. In other words you get two middlemen instead of one. One VAR used by a lot of the mobile folks is Real Time Communications down in Texas. RTC can be found at »www.rtc-vsat.com/

Most of their customers have automatic dishes, but not all.

With the HUGE reduction in the number of mobile satellite internet users, equipment is frequently free. That even includes automatic dishes, although most want at least a nominal amount for them. Equipment is typically offered in one of two places, datastormusers.com and the Yahoo group rvinternetbysatellite (disclaimer: I own the former and am a moderator of the latter)
Danny13
Canada

Danny13

Thank you for the links. I will check out those other forums. I did email www.montanasatellite.com but have not heard anything.