All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anon 321321
@choopa.net

anon 321321

Anon

Lane 100 yards away has empty DSL slots, but no service for me.

I called BellSouth and they confirmed that this is the case. A DSL escalation case was created and I'm still awaiting the results. Should I be optimistic or is my fate already sealed?
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

The Bell South legacy area is usually allowing brand new DSL accounts in areas with DSL only or even with U Verse available as well. I have a brand new DSL account and we have U Verse available as well. Keep pushing. Have you contacted David in the ATT Direct forum yet?

anon 321321
@choopa.com

anon 321321

Anon

I haven't contacted him yet, but thanks for letting me know. I found out quite by accident that there are free ports in the lane next to me -- this is after years of being told that DSL was no longer available.

Ready for some confusion? The road where I live used to be called "lane" and then for some reason changed to "road," while part of the of the old lane remained as "lane." The rep told me that may be why the system was never showing those unused ports.

Sounds like I might have a small chance of finally having a real broadband connection, but it seems too good to be true and I'm expecting them to give me some reason as to why they won't install it. If they don't I'm kinda screwed because my grandfathered 3g broadband2go plan will now be throttle to 2g speeds after 5 GB of use. I can look forward 10 - 14 kbps speeds. Ugh!

anon 321321

anon 321321 to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104
EDIT: I Finally got DSL!!!!

They hooked me up with 768Kbps. The rep said they might be able to increase it once it's up and running. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
anon 321321

anon 321321

Anon

They just upgraded me to a 6 MB connection. If they tell you that DSL is not available or that only the slowest speed is, don't give up! Keep asking and even try ordering online when tech support says no. In less than a week I went from "you'll never have DSL" to "only the slowest speed take it or leave it", to 6 MB is available at your address.
AcousticD
join:2014-01-29
Princeton, TX

AcousticD

I'm in the exact same boat. After a year they finally opened up a 768k line and the tech says that the pedestal out front can get 6mb. I've called the sales line and visited a store and got nothing. I've already tried ordering online and got nothing.

biotech
@66.249.113.x

biotech

Anon

To AcousticD:
Why did you inquire about the DSL connection at an AT&T store? I thought that the retail stores only deal with Wireless and U-Verse...

BillyIdol101
@sbcglobal.net

BillyIdol101

Anon

No, the stores handle DSL too.
Teresa50
join:2014-04-30
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50 to anon 321321

to anon 321321
Anon 321321 how did you even get them to come out and try it? I have been calling for the past 2 weeks and keep on getting fed the same stuff you already said in this post. How did you get them to listen to you I keep getting the same thing "there are no ports available" I also live in an old BellSouth area until AT&T took over.

anon 321321
@209.222.7.x

anon 321321

Anon

said by Teresa50:

Anon 321321 how did you even get them to come out and try it?

They never actually came out to check. It was only when their system told them ports were open that a guy came to set it up. Can any of your neighbors get DSL? If they can then it may be just a matter of time. Shortly after getting it I got a generic flyer from them about how there were upgrading internet in our town. So Bell South is investing in rural places with little to no internet.
Teresa50
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50 to anon 321321

to anon 321321
Yeah one of my neighbors gets dsl internet. That's it and was wondering how he got it himself cause when i input his address in the fields it says its unavailable at his too and I know he already has it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Teresa50:

I keep getting the same thing "there are no ports available"

said by Teresa50:

Yeah one of my neighbors gets dsl internet. That's it and was wondering how he got it himself cause when i input his address in the fields it says its unavailable at his too and I know he already has it.

The "there are no ports available" answer you got is probably why your neighbor's address also shows as unavailable when you check on-line.

There are several reasons for "no ports available":

1. All of the ports in the DSLAM serving your address are truly in use by other customers. In this case, there is some hope that eventually you will be able get DSL service -- either by attrition, when a neighbor disconnects their DSL service -- or if AT&T moves decommissioned ATM based DSL DSLAM equipment to your area after they have upgraded another area to U-verse service. FWIW, I have in the past had to wait for DSL service for both of those reasons.

2. AT&T has decided to phase out DSL service in your area, and is administratively marking any unused ports as being in use. In this case, if your local cable company does not offer Internet service, and there is no CLEC or DSL reseller in your area, you only option is probably to use a wireless service.

3. AT&T is in the process of upgrading the DSLAM serving your address to U-verse IPDSL service, and they are not allowing new standard DSL customers to signup for service. In this case, you will just have to be patient and wait for AT&T to actually do the upgrade.
Teresa50
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50

But when I enter his phone number it says he already has it. I live in a VERY small rural area with maybe 10 houses between my house and his house if that. I really don't believe the excuse there are no ports available.
15444104 (banned)

1 edit

15444104 (banned)

You need to post in the ATT direct section, and address your concern to David in the thread you create there.

My guess is the ATT system has not updated yet. Keep pushing for what you want.

We have a large DSLAM almost as large as the two year old VRAD sitting next to it. Bell South legacy area.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Teresa50

Premium Member

to Teresa50
said by Teresa50:

But when I enter his phone number it says he already has it. I live in a VERY small rural area with maybe 10 houses between my house and his house if that. I really don't believe the excuse there are no ports available.

That was not what you previously posted -- but see reason #2 in my previous post -- rural areas are the primary areas that AT&T wants to abandon for landline service. That includes both POTS and DSL, but current regulations won't allow them to abandon POTS (but that is just a temporary setback).

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to anon 321321

Premium Member

to anon 321321
Do you know you are on the same lines? I know it sounds silly but boundaries have to be drawn somewhere and places that close together can be serve by completely different centers.

OOPS only read first few posts. Glad you were successful an even got to high speed

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by Hayward0:

Do you know you are on the same lines? I know it sounds silly but boundaries have to be drawn somewhere and places that close together can be serve by completely different centers.

This is a good point for everyone who may read this in the future though. The boundary is set when the equipment is placed. It can be extended a couple of times, but eventually enough has to be enough. Regardless if it is due to a distance limitation or city boundaries, there is a line that simply cannot be crossed.

The larger DSL systems (108 to 216 port) still haven't been installed in many areas. A lot of RT's have 16 to 32 port microRAM's, and running out of ports is a real thing.

Fogger
join:2014-05-09
The Boonies

Fogger to anon 321321

to anon 321321
I suggest everyone in the old BellSouth service area who wants DSL and gets an "it's not available" line from AT&T, actually ask one of the techs that service the equipment. When you see one of their trucks parked at one of the boxes or equipment huts (not simply a pedestal), pull over and politely inquire about DSL status in the area. That way you will get facts instead of a customer service rep reading a script.

It helps to commiserate with them about being forced into AT&T. Every tech I talked to hated being switched to AT&T from BellSouth.

Also, this from my previous residence. If you happen to have residential ISDN, be aware their system will automatically report that DSL is not available, even if it is. When I found out that they qualified lines for DSL by running an automated test, I realized that it it was incapable of testing a pair carrying ISDN. I then started querying the availabilty of DSL on my neighbor's lines and hit pay dirt. That after doing without DSL for six months of its availability because AT&T didn't discriminate between POTS lines and ISDN where DSL availability was concerned.

I just wish I could get it here at my current location.
Teresa50
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50

I called At&t a week ago and they created a dsl escalation case for me and then I call back and they say its not available??? Anyone else have this issue?
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

Teresa, you need to post your concern in the ATT Direct forums address your concern to David.

I have another suggestion and if you want that PM me.
Teresa50
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50

I have David working on it now but sent you a private message