All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Nex
@charter.com

Nex

Anon

[CATV] Charter rep told me all shows are stored remotely, not on HDD?

We just replaced a dead box with a DVR. Through the top I can see a 500GB internal hard drive mounted in it. The rep on the phone told me that all shows are stored remotely and hard drives aren't used at all in any of their boxes (aside from the old Moxi). Is this correct? So if the cable goes out, we won't be able to watch what has already been recorded? Also does anyone know what capacity we have on this Charter "cloud" ? Another DVR from Charter I've had for several years can barely record 10 films without being out of space.
a7thton
join:2014-01-23

a7thton

This is not correct. Unless you are watching OnDemand.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Nex

to Nex
said by Nex :

We just replaced a dead box with a DVR. Through the top I can see a 500GB internal hard drive mounted in it. The rep on the phone told me that all shows are stored remotely and hard drives aren't used at all in any of their boxes (aside from the old Moxi). Is this correct? So if the cable goes out, we won't be able to watch what has already been recorded? Also does anyone know what capacity we have on this Charter "cloud" ? Another DVR from Charter I've had for several years can barely record 10 films without being out of space.

The rep you spoke with is completely wrong.

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr to Nex

to Nex
Once again Charter just blows me away with their support.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by anhisr:

Once again Charter just blows me away with their support.

yes because ONE rep told ONE guy some wrong info you can extrapolate something from that.

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr

This is not the 20th time that this has happened. 1st tier support is ill informed about how the system works.
armed
join:2000-10-20

armed

I have had good support from Charter. I think its not nearly as bad as you claim.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to Nex

to Nex
said by Nex :

So if the cable goes out, we won't be able to watch what has already been recorded?

Ah ha! You are correct, but not because of what they told you.

Their lovely system is designed so that if your cable goes out, you are not allowed to watch anything you have recorded because the box can't determine if you're authorized to do so. Isn't that genius logic?!

Hours of content stored locally on that drive yet you can't view it because the cable is down. I bet if I dig out my old Dish DVR, I could still watch whatever's recorded with no problem and I haven't had their service in years.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

said by MooJohn:

Their lovely system is designed so that if your cable goes out, you are not allowed to watch anything you have recorded because the box can't determine if you're authorized to do so. Isn't that genius logic?!

If that is really true, I guess I have just discovered an advantage to having this older Motorola DVR with only 160 GB storage. At least I can watch it when I want to.