All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pjfranke
join:2007-04-07
Cedar Rapids, IA

pjfranke

[IA] Upgrade service tier with no other charges?

I'm currently subscribed to the Prime 15U/1D service tier, and have a rented DOCSIS2 modem. I've been thinking about upgrading to a higher tier for faster speeds. I already picked up a DOCSIS3 modem, plus it'll get rid of the rental charge. From the attachment, y'all can see my total cost is the service tier, rental, and under $1.00 in tax...plus oops, a late fee. Obviously rates may vary slightly, but the rates posted in the Standard-Rates-Services-Des-Moines-Effective-4-22-2014 thread piqued my interest.

Prime Internet: 15 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload/250 GB cap - $49.95
Prime Plus Internet: 20-30 Mbps download/2 Mbps upload/350 GB cap - $59.95
Ultra Internet: 50 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload/999 GB cap - $79.95

I'm only interested in changing plans if the only change in my bill will be a $10 increase for going to Prime Plus, or $30 to get Ultra (plus any respective sales tax increase).

Is it possible to get this? Or will I be charged a change fee, and/or have the HSD basic charge "corrected"? That was removed/adjusted after calling customer service last year. If it'll cost me any more than ~$10 or ~$30 per month, I'm happy to swap my modem out and just keep paying my $50.25/mo.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello pjfranke,

That should be the only billing change you see. If you'd like you can send me a private message and I can have a representative contact you and get the upgrade taken care of. If you've got any other questions let me know.
pjfranke
join:2007-04-07
Cedar Rapids, IA

pjfranke

Well, that was easier than expected. 8 minutes after I sent you an IM, I got a call from Michael from the Mediacom forums. As I understand, he got me on a non-contract promo for Ultra for a year, at a price not much higher than I'm paying now (is it OK to share the actual cost?). As it's non-contract, I can drop down to Prime Plus at that time if I want to save a few bucks.

Immediately, even on my DOCSIS2 modem, I was getting 30Mb down, and 10Mb up! »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 48189094

Once I got home from work and was able to swap the modem for a DOCSIS3 one I picked up, I was seeing 50Mb down as I expected, still 10 up too. »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 48699024 No complaints, though. This doesn't seem to be a speedboost thing either, it sustained 1.2MB/s (9.6Mb) upload for a ~100MB file.

Very happy with the service upgrade, especially for the price difference. Much easier than calling into customer service, wading through the phone tree, and waiting through the "longer than expected hold times". Thanks for the help, Chad!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You're welcome pjfranke!

You're welcome to post your pricing information. However, promotions change depending on the area and services subscribed. It's possible the promotion Michael placed you in may not be available for all customers. I'm happy everything went smoothly and if you need anything else please feel free to let me know.