join:2014-04-23

1 edit

DarkSamus6

Dealing with packet loss(Abilene)

12.129.254.1···.pp2.zip
2,349 bytes
Ping Plotter

Click for full size
I have noticed when I play wow lately that I have been dealing with lag spikes in game, and not just in WoW but sometimes in League of Legends.

The server I am connecting to is a LA server for WoW in this one.

Here is a quick snapshot I took in ping plotter over the last few minutes. I plan to update this later as time progresses, anyway here is what I am seeing, A lot of the problem seems to revolve between hop 4-6

I am in the Abilene area BTW.

If anyone could help me it would be great

Thanks!
----
Edit added modem stats

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Pick a different target, that server isn't responding to pings so it's not useful in determining packet loss since you can't see it at all
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Click for full size
Here is a new better chart than the one I posted earlier. This is to google.

I also added the downstream and upsteam values from my modem to the OP

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Your signal looks fine. Keep pp running to that for 24 hours so you can get a larger sample set. Also drop sdltech off the approved list a pm to this thread. He can look into it further and will need the 24 hour pp file.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Unfortunately it doesn't seem I can message him yet, account is too new sadly. Anyway I hope I can get this narrowed down. The lag that I experience is usually very brief in wow it freezes the game for about 2-5 second then everything catches back up and I watch my latecy jump from 60ms to 200ms it will go back down and then after a few minutes same thing.

Doesn't matter if addons are enabled or not, weather I bypass the router and run directly from the modem same issues. Even using a different ethernet cord.
DarkSamus6

2 edits

DarkSamus6 to moldypickle

to moldypickle
I understand that the particular server I chose (wow server) aren't set up to respond. It was more about the path in between which shows a lot of loss happening around hop 4 more consistently.

Either way I did decide to a test just to google.com now and I am showing the same problems at the same hop(4) same IP on that hop as well, which is often getting around 50%+ packet loss.

I will attach another snapshot of the route over the last few minutes and also post one later that I am letting run while I am at work.

Also I will attach the PP I let run overnight to the LA battlenet realms.

Thanks in advance for any help!

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

That is not true packet loss. You are only seeing the result of a router that drops or otherwise doesn't always reply.

If it was true packet loss, you'd see loss the rest of the way to the destination.

As to your issue with wow, don't know what to tell you. I see issues with high latency off and on all the time, mostly to "the world" server, and not the actual realm. I'd blame blizzard, or AT&T as I think they host most of the servers in the US.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

I should also add, the very high latency in your first post surely isn't normal, although I can't tell how long it was showing that high latency to make a judgement about it.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Click for full size
Now that I am seeing it over a period of time it does seem to jump pretty high periodically.

I am not saying its totally SL fault or anything. Usually I just blame the game servers, but when stuff including mumble spikes, and being the only one to report the issue in a raid then I do start to notice a trend.

I usually never get completely disconnected, but the lag that does happen especially as playing a healer usually isn't a good thing.

Overall I am pretty happy with the speeds, we get more than the advertised speed for our package.

Here is a graphic showing over the last 4 hours to googles website attached as well.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Well, now it is showing loss, as you would expect, if there is an issue. Notice it shows at the 2nd hop, and on all the rest as well.

I'd contact SDL L3Tech See Profile and direct him to this thread.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Yep, I did IM him, I don't know if he looks at those, but that's the only method I can contact him at the moment with my current forum permissions.

Either way thanks for the help so far!
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Click for full size
So I have been also pinging WoW's proudmore server while pinging google.

While this may or may not be the problem, I noticed that every minute or so the route changes. One of the routes shows a low average latency like less than 20ms latency.

Then it will switch to another route and that one is showing constant spikes with a average latency of 400ms+

I attached the one with the route showing the high latency server in the path.

Kinda funny that the name of the server starts out with lag...

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to DarkSamus6

to DarkSamus6
Click for full size
Hello DarkSamus6. I put your modem and a neighbor's modem into PP over night. I'm seeing packet-loss to your modem but not your neighbor's modem. This indicates that the node is clean but something localized to your home is causing the packet-loss.

Have you called in for a service call yet? You may neeed a new drop between the poll and your home or perhaps replace/eliminate splitter. I also see that you have an older docsis 2.0 modem so it may be beneficial to get it swapped out for a Docsis 3 modem that can lock on to the multiple downstream channels available.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

said by DarkSamus6:

I have noticed when I play wow lately that I have been dealing with lag spikes in game, and not just in WoW but sometimes in League of Legends.

The server I am connecting to is a LA server for WoW in this one.

Here is a quick snapshot I took in ping plotter over the last few minutes. I plan to update this later as time progresses, anyway here is what I am seeing, A lot of the problem seems to revolve between hop 4-6

I am in the Abilene area BTW.

If anyone could help me it would be great

Thanks!
----
Edit added modem stats

Thanks for your help so far, the packet loss that is showing in that graph in the 3pm-5 pm window is actually me power cycling the modem(2-3x) were you seeing any outside of that? If not then it could just be as simple as blizzards servers being lame.

I will look into a docsis three though and see how that goes. Didn't realize there was much benefit unless we had a higher bandwidth package.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

said by DarkSamus6:

where you seeing any outside of that?

yes, but it's harder to see because of the two spikes. Look at the small red lines under the black line following the reload spikes.
SDL L3Tech

SDL L3Tech to DarkSamus6

to DarkSamus6
said by DarkSamus6:

I will look into a docsis three though and see how that goes. Didn't realize there was much benefit unless we had a higher bandwidth package.

Also, as far as the modem, unless the modem itself is causing the packet-loss, replacing it will likely not help any. However, it would allow your connection to have access to a larger pool of bandwidth to help ensure you are always able to get the bandwidth you pay for.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Alright I see the losses now, I will see what I can do to address that. I haven't called a tech yet for this particular problem, but now that I know that the problem lies somewhere between the modem and the pole it will be easier to know what needs to be looked at.

I will update this thread with new info as it comes. Thanks for your help!
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Any good way I can monitor, or ping my own modem to see what your seeing? It would be make it easier troubleshooting what it is. I would like to move the modem to different spots in the house to see if it wiring in a certain spot of the house or not.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to DarkSamus6

to DarkSamus6
You can't effectively ping your own modem the way I do it. However, I would suggest that you keep a PP trace running to your gateway IP until the problem is resolved. When the tech comes out you should be able to show him/her that the packet-loss is between your home and the Headend.

Feel free to show them my image I pasted above showing 0 packet-loss to your neighbors modem, just to yours. You may have to explain what it means. That should help him isolate where the problem is.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Can't thank you enough for your help.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Well, it may be too soon to say this, and just my luck it probably is. I did a couple things here. I took off a splitter that was being shared with the a TV that I don't use anyway. I don't know if cable modems can pick up interference from anything, but my wireless router was within a inch of the modem and I moved it about a foot away. I did two wings of LFR in wow so far and my latency didn't go above 55ms. Where as this last weekend doing the same thing I would see a stutter at least once every boss encounter.

Who knows maybe I am having luck at the moment, but here's hoping it . The cable that's connected to the modem is going through two more splitters before it heads to the pole. But I started with this one as its the one that is easiest to remove.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

If your modem is catching interference from your router, then you have a broke modem. That said, your entire cable network in your house (and the plant) can act like an antenna for rf interference. Taking out any and all unused wiring and splitters especially can greatly reduce the entry points for noise that can degrade your signal. The cheap splitters commonly used are notorious for going bad and putting crap on the line while still passing a signal. Also while you're going over your cable network in house, check the ends on EVERY cable and make sure there are no stray grounding wires and that they are all connected securely to the cable (connector doesn't spin or pull off the cable). If you find any, replace these as soon as possible.

Given that the problem is isolated to your property, there's a decent chance that removing that splitter could indeed fix your issue.
DarkSamus6

DarkSamus6

Yep I am hoping the splitter was the problem. Only time will tell at the moment, looking ok so far(as far as my playing experience has been so far). Where that splitter was at, was around tons of power cords that get used a lot I don't know if that would could contribute. Either way if the problems shows itself again then I to work my way down further.