All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
BackStJoe
join:2009-08-17
New York, NY

BackStJoe

[TiVo] Interesting problem: video slowdown

For the past week or so I've been having an odd issue with the TiVo; the video will slowdown and the audio drops out. You can skip back and it will play but then it will happen again in a different spot. Sometimes there is a digital glitch that even with a jump back it will not correct. For several shows it was so bad I had to go online to watch them or view On Demand.

Now...I do have a DVR extender on too...I ran the short SMART tests and both drives passed. I really hate the thought of disconnecting the drive and losing the bulk of my shows. I've done multiple reboots; called in to RCN who recommended unseating the cable card (didn't work)

Any thoughts? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and uncouple the drive to see if the TiVo works on its own?
BackStJoe

BackStJoe

For anyone following along; I decided to uncouple the DVR extender...this means losing my shows. I somehow at the last minute remembered the TiVo desktop software and purchased it; so I saved as much as I could to my computer. Then I unhooked it; it took a LONG time to reboot. Once done I transferred a few shows back to the TiVo (a process not very intuitive) and recorded a few others. So far, so good...right now it looks like the extender was the problem. But man did I get used to have a lot of room; I might have to purchase another extender in the near future.