spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

[INTERNET] Beyond 'slow' internet?

I know I keep complaining about this same problem, and I'll continue to do so until Cogeco can fix their services.

Tonight, my internet has been worse than I have ever seen it. The congestion started back in October of 2013, and is said to last until August. However, I figured that I'd only ever see it drop down to possibly 20 Mbps. Though, tonight I'm getting single digit results.

This is absolutely pathetic and unacceptable. Just, why the hell am I a Cogeco customer? I'm starting to question my sanity...

Please, can a Cogeco rep PLEASE figure out if the August timeline is still accurate? I've waited half a year already, and can wait two more months, if that is indeed when it'll be fixed.
However, if this has been pushed back, I'm dumping Cogeco for another provider that is actually capable of providing the speeds they advertise.
I, being a paying customer, shouldn't have to wait nearly a full year for a rather severe issue to be fixed. I've already been offered credit, but I'm now at the point where no amount of account credit can keep me 'happy'. This is just pathetic.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

Nothing has changed as far as the estimated timeline currently. I'm keeping an eye on your account so if there is any news, I will PM you with it!
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

That's good to hear, though I'm still rather pissed that the speeds are this freaking slow.
Some websites are even timing out. It's just pathetic.

Sure, it only happens during the evening hours, but come on! My Ultimate 120 package doesn't seem all that ultimate right now. I could handle the inconsistencies before, but this seems to actually drop down to and stay at single digit speeds.

Is there any way to make this a priority upgrade? I can't imagine myself waiting another two months, especially if it means I'll have to have speeds equivalent to the Turbo 6 package every damn evening and day until the node is upgraded.
richport29
join:2013-11-22
Smiths Falls, ON

richport29 to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Mine drops below 2 mb/s in the evenings, my upload speeds aren't affected at all however. Was told congestion would be fixed in May, obviously that didn't happen.

Gixxer
join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON

Gixxer

Had the same issue, ended up switching to Start/VDSL from what I hear it hasn't even been looked at yet. This should be against the law.
said by richport29:

Mine drops below 2 mb/s in the evenings, my upload speeds aren't affected at all however. Was told congestion would be fixed in May, obviously that didn't happen.

UnhappyJason
@67.193.127.x

UnhappyJason

Anon

Here's my speed test for tonight in Kingston. Keep in mind i'm paying for the Ultimate 120 Mbps package...

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8887.png

overclocked0
join:2003-01-07
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

overclocked0 to MysticGuitar

to MysticGuitar
Why would you guys continue to pay for Ultimate 120 when you are only getting Express 6-Express 10 speeds? Why not just downgrade your package to something Cogeco can actually provide or just find any other internet provider? I get Turbo20 speeds 24/7.
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

Bandwidth, mostly. I'm a fairly heavy user, and use over or around 300 GB each month. Though lately I've been trying to limit my usage, and only use 250 GB per month on average. I'd be doing more live game streams if I wasn't afraid of going over my cap.

As for why I don't switch? The only other providers here run off of Cogeco lines, so I'd still be congested. I will switch if Cogeco is still congested come August. If I'm paying for poor service, I may as well pay someone like Teksavvy.
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar

I've never seen it this bad before.

jeisenberg
New Year's Eve
join:2001-07-06
Windsor, ON

jeisenberg

There were big-time problems with routing last night. I think the problem came at the Peer1 network. All connections were slow - except when they were totally dead!
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

Aaron, how's that August date looking? This is just unbearable.
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Is the August date still accurate?
If so, any eta as to which part of August we're talking about? Early, mid, late?

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

I'll see if I can get an update for you. I believe that you originally PM'd Cogeco_Aaron your information and he is currently out of the office. Would you be able to create a post in the direct forum, that way I can make sure I get the most accurate information for you. Thanks!
JVRudnick
join:2004-01-12
Waterdown, ON

JVRudnick to MysticGuitar

to MysticGuitar
might this be "throttling" by Cogeco?

dunno....just asking....but is this NOT the exact def of ISP "bandwidth throttling in prime time?"

justme
@184.148.44.x

justme

Anon

mine is crazy slow too and now a few of my cable channels are down -cogeco admits it's because of their equipment but "doesn't know when it will be fixed." Gave me a credit for a week but it's the internet that is killing me. This is in Hamilton
undecided101
join:2005-02-14
Dundas, ON

undecided101

biz internet isn't any better..Queen and Aberdeen area this am was 1 up 1 down, came home to find it wasn't any better in West Hamilton Near Mac. Home is a 30m..having issues getting over 3.
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar to Cogeco_Peter

to Cogeco_Peter
said by Cogeco_Peter:

I'll see if I can get an update for you. I believe that you originally PM'd Cogeco_Aaron your information and he is currently out of the office. Would you be able to create a post in the direct forum, that way I can make sure I get the most accurate information for you. Thanks!

Thanks Peter, but I'm not going to go and post into an entirely separate forum, when my problem is clearly listed here, in the public.
If you want me to PM you something, just let me know. But I won't be creating an entirely new thread.

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

I understand the concern. I sent you a PM.
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

Thanks, please keep me informed.
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar

jmarlatt2
join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON

jmarlatt2

Certainly looks like a congestion issue, had the same problem in Chatham until they upgraded the area and now it's all good. Hoping the additional hd channels and ultimate 120 upgrades coming in the future don't make it like it was. Took nearly 6 months of nightly slowdowns before it was resolved.

At times customer growth and usage can change drastically and it takes time before the overloaded equipment can be upgraded. Very little or no eta's are given in these circumstances. Hope it gets fixed for you ASAP.

Kingstonuser
@67.193.99.x

Kingstonuser

Anon

We are located in the east end of Kingston and often times we are getting below 1 mb/s in the evenings. They say "it's only an issue during peak hours" but heck, we work weekdays, peak hours are the only time we get to use it. We were paying for the Ultimate 120 package because of our high bandwidth usage but we plan to drop down to the Turbo 20 package. The $5 a month discount on a $94.95 service is hardly worth the time it takes to call them. Bell Fibe will be in our neighborhood within the next 3 months, so we'll stick it out until then. It is unfortunate because we have been Cogeco customers for over 10 years and used to be happy with our Internet service.

Ganuser
@76.64.171.x

Ganuser

Anon

Glad I found this site. Cogeco is installing fiber optic cable all over town and now is advertising the ultimate 120 package as being available in the area. I was considering switching from my bell 6M plan that is always 6M. I'm not going to pay for a service that's part time. I've been asking people in Gananoque and kingston Who have cable and not one recommended Cogeco. I dropped Cogeco 15 years ago because it was terrible and I see nothing has changed.
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

I get that I'm receiving credit and all, but this is just insane. It should be fixed by December. Thank god for small mercies.

Poopsy
@24.141.241.x

Poopsy

Anon

December now? What happened to the August timeframe?
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

It went from August to April 2015, and now it's sitting at December.

Basically, it's jumping around everywhere.
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar to Poopsy

to Poopsy
said by Poopsy :

December now? What happened to the August timeframe?

Just wanted to provide additional information on this case.

After posting into the Cogeco Direct forum, I managed to get additional credits for the ongoing issues. The initial offer of $300 from Aaron for the low-quality service between October 2013 and August 2014, as well as an additional $40 / monthly credit applied at the 1st every month until April 2015. (the most accurate date that they had at the time)
This monthly credit is $30 + $10 for the Unlimited bandwidth upgrade, so I'm essentially getting a discount on the upgraded package until April 2015.

I will continue to provide the public with updates, to promote transparency. I've also updated my Cogeco review, so it better reflects my current experiences as a Cogeco customer.
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar

poopsy
@24.141.241.x

poopsy

Anon

I'm surprised Waterdown is treated so poorly. You're only 10-15 minutes from Cogeco's headquarters in Burlington.
I'm just inside Burlington myself, on the Waterdown border, and I've never had the troubles you have.
I wish you the best of luck on a fix. Hopefully it's before April.
Chooper
Premium Member
join:2012-01-02
Belle River, ON

Chooper to MysticGuitar

Premium Member

to MysticGuitar
Mine is not much better. I've been patient, but this has been nearly a year for me.

I'm being told October it is to be upgraded, but this is the second, maybe even third time it has been pushed back. I hope they are on track with a node change here as well, but it has gone well beyond irritating.