All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dsl2u
join:2012-05-16
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u

Changing your IP address with faster MTS modems?

Is this easily possible? I've heard they now require an upgraded modem for Lightning 10, 25 and 50 service. But apparently, even if you unplug for a day you're likely to get the same IP address. is there any way of getting a new IP in a few seconds like the older system allowed?
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

spoof a different mac address. That may do it... but because it's pppoe. it may just assign the same address to your login name... worth a try tho
dsl2u
R3L3A1

dsl2u

How does one spoof a mac address?
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky

lots of different ways, depends on the device, software etc.
dsl2u
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u

How about one way? That would be great! Nobody has come up with that yet.

I'd like to switch to cable service because of the much faster speeds but changing a IP with them is much harder and required having an additional network card installed in my computer and having to plug and unplug between both all the time. Mega hassle. I could build a LAN switch I guess with the switch on my desk.
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky

»Rogers HiSpeed FAQ »How do I clone a MAC address with a Linksys router?
dsl2u
R3L3A1

dsl2u

Not sure why I would want to clone a Mac address. If anything, don't I want a different MAC address that will generate a different IP address?
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky

it's the same process.... just change the numbers to something that isn't plugged in right now.
dsl2u
R3L3A1

dsl2u

I'm not familiar with much of networking. Could you please explain how this generates a new IP address? And where do I change the numbers?