spc
Search similar:

uniqs

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

[OOL] Three Upstream Channels

Was doing some troubleshooting on my cable modem at work and I see that there are now 3 upstream data channels provisioned.

Not sure what the frequency is since my modem (Cisco DPQ3295) does not display that.

MumOpti
@109.163.234.x

MumOpti

Anon

At work? Is that Lightpath?

My Arris modem on OOL still shows 2 upstreams.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

We do have a Lightpath circuit, but this is on the OOL line we use for wifi and some other ancillary functions. It's Business OOL with static IP in central Westchester.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

I remember that last year when the 2 upstream rolled out it took a few weeks for them to roll it out to each system, perhaps since they've already done it once it's easier now.
dudeman456
join:2005-04-29
New York, NY

dudeman456 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Click for full size
I have residential service, and I have 3 Upstream channels.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by dudeman456:

I have residential service, and I have 3 Upstream channels.

Where in NY are you? Obviously you're not in "NY, NY" since Manhattan is Time-Warner. Here in Piscataway, NJ I still only have two channels. How are your upload speeds? Any faster?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
Click for full size
Still 2 here

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69 to mbernste

to mbernste
My upload is more or less the same. With Ultra 50 I'm seeing 28.07 Mbps on the upload.
bahamutneo
join:2011-12-10
Wayne, NJ

bahamutneo to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Click for full size
Modem rebooted about 3 days ago and got the 3 upstreams then.

Residential Ultra 101 account in Oakland NJ area.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

2 recommendations

cablewizzard to dudeman456

to dudeman456
You are witnessing the logical expansion and evolution of how CV delivers DOCSIS service - going to 3 full 6.4 MHz upstreams was just a matter of time - and it's likely rolled out in areas that a.) have potential or actual US congestion b.) are on a system that delivers a full 40 MHz return/upstream.

As some systems have severe limitations: got a licensed Taxicab operation in your neighborhood? It's likely they have a 100KW transmitter sitting in licensed 32-37MHz bands - something cable systems have to AVOID under a lot of circumstances - it inevitably bleeds into the system (by illegal taps, open RF jacks in the house, Grandma's old not cable-ready TV, a myriad of other sources).

There actually must be 4 US channels: the SA/Cisco STBs, even if there were just few of them left (doubtful, given the 8300 DVR being out there a LOT), are DOCSIS 1.x, hence need a TDMA-only US channel: that one's 3.2MHz at best per spec, but if you map out the spectrum you need (3*6.4 + 3.2 = 22.4 MHz), AND you have to evade things like the 27MHz CB (26.96-27.41 edge-to-edge) band in SOME areas that are CB-happy, you'll quickly notice that you don't have too much usable spectrum LEFT to do this - it gets ugly, very ugly below ~15 MHz.

So in the area of the poster above (showing center frequencies of channels), CV uses edge-to-edge channels:
18.8-25.2 Mhz (22.0 center)
25.2-31.6 MHz (28.4 center)
31.8-38.2 MHz (35.0 center)

There's insufficient space for another channel
- in the little 0.2Mhz gap (31.6-31.8) - that's likely an interference-driven gap.
- above 38.2MHz (too close to the beginning of a sharp drop-off for the system somewhere at 39.x)

That leaves the space below 18.8 MHz - either as a 3.2 MHz channel (down to 15.6 MHz left edge) or a 1.6MHz channel (down to 17.2MHz left edge) - possibly not using QAM16, but QPSK, as interference there starts to really edge up in that space, limiting speeds to ~2.5 Mbps - but DSTBs use minimal upstream bandwidth anyway:

Noone cares about the few DOCSIS1.1 modem hold-outs (SB4100,SBV4200 is all I am aware of, I had one of each a decade ago) in the same TDMA upstream: What? Didn't swap your modem for over 8 years because it "just works"? Then you're probably in the same group of people that don't remember when their car had its last oil change, or when they last had their boiler inspected...and most definitely that's not the group of people that uploads to Instagram 27 times every day and would notice the less-than-2Mbps upload speed

So yes, this is awesome, but not unexpected. It shows that CV is on the ball with their upgrades - pro-active definitely, as we don't hear about slow US speeds (that are not driven by a defect in an area) here with any frequency.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
Click for full size
I want to reboot my modem but I like my uptime. I doubt brooklyn has 3 upstream channels anyway. We are usually the last to get anything.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Click for full size
Still 2 in Dutchess
Zetu
join:2013-07-18
Brooklyn, NY

Zetu to MuDvAyNe

to MuDvAyNe
Click for full size
said by MuDvAyNe:

I want to reboot my modem but I like my uptime. I doubt brooklyn has 3 upstream channels anyway. We are usually the last to get anything.

On the contrary, my arris modem has 3 upstream channels since last 2 months ago and I live in 11219. Congestion is heavy in my area.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

1 recommendation

Boooost to cablewizzard

Anon

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

got a licensed Taxicab operation in your neighborhood? It's likely they have a 100KW transmitter sitting in licensed 32-37MHz bands

100 kiloWatt? Really? What are they doing, dispatching cabs in Cleveland? That's more powerful than a commercial radio station.
vabello
join:2011-05-05
Allamuchy, NJ

vabello to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Click for full size
I just came to DSLR because I noticed I have 3 upstream channels now as well and see others do too. I'm in Allamuchy, NJ.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to Zetu

Premium Member

to Zetu
You've had it for two months and didn't notify anyone here!! Yea 11219 is where I use to live. That area was terrible for Internet 10 years ago!
dudeman456
New York, NY

dudeman456 to mbernste

to mbernste
Click for full size
Technically speaking everyone in the five boroughs is in NY, NY, and Cablevision does service a small area on the island of Manhattan. I am in the Bronx. My upload usually rests at 40Mbps. I used to have a download of 220Mbps , when Comcast started to advertise in the Bronx.

Before I noticing the 3 channel Upstream, I would always have Uncorrectables, but my modem has been up for 5 days as you can see, and I have not had a single one. I upload/download gigs every day.

Is it like that for anybody else?

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

Where does Comcast offer service in the Bronx??

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by limegrass69:

Where does Comcast offer service in the Bronx??

Or Manhattan, for that matter.
Also, "NY, NY" is a reference to New York County which is Manhattan as per the U.S. Post Office.
dudeman456
New York, NY

dudeman456 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
There was a long debate on these very forums on availability, but if I recall it was sorta available in 10467. Some stated they knew of active service in the Bronx, and Manhattan if I recall correctly. This was shortly after Cablevision did the speed upgrades.

»www.specialcabledeals.co ··· ble.html

»downdetector.com/status/ ··· ty/bronx
dudeman456

dudeman456 to mbernste

to mbernste
If you go by the Post Office, then yes that is correct.

The Post Office is not centrally controlled, each Post Office policies are determined by who ever is in charged of that Post Office, further it does not get any federal money.

The Post Office prefers New York, NY for New York County, but with that said, according to my local Post Office "Yonkers" is a valid demarcation for my area of the Bronx, despite I am many miles away from Yonkers.

Modern mapping software, and more importantly Official City paper work holds it valid for the entire city.

With that said many many people only consider New York City to start after 100th street in Manhattan, and no other part of the over 300 Square miles.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to dudeman456

MVM,

to dudeman456
They don't service the Bronx. I think you're referencing this thread, which you actually started. It was shown that the pages are auto generated and will tell you there's Comcast service in any location.

There's no Comcast in the Bronx. There's no Comcast in any of New York City:
»www.nyc.gov/html/doitt/h ··· ts.shtml

What does any of this have to do with three upstream channels anyway?

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

And if you look at that link, there's no Cablevision in Manhattan either.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ

actor90 to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
Still only two upstream channels here in the Millstone/Monmouth system in Jackson, NJ.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Just rebooted and still 2 here.

MumOpti
@212.83.169.x

MumOpti

Anon

Rebooted Arris, still 2 channels in Bronx 10467

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Modem rebooted at 1:45 AM and now have 3 upstream channels in the Morris County system.

thinkpad
join:2000-07-26
Stamford, CT

thinkpad

kickass69, Did your IP change? Did anyone's IP change when they got the 3 upstream channels?

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

In my case my IP did change.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to limegrass69

to limegrass69
When they move a system to use the 3rd upstream they will reboot all modems impacted, so you don't have to reboot daily in hopes of getting the extra channel.