spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rugo32
join:2014-04-01
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

Motorola SB6141 "DHCP Enabled"..?

does anybody know exactly the meaning of the Motorola SB 6141 configuration page statement (192.168.100.1) because neither Cable One or Motorola support could answer that question:
"DHCP Server Enabled
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range ".

Having a router on my network, I am not sure whether or not that I should assign IPs outside the pool...or does that only simply imply to internet connections that don't have a router connected to a pc? anybody know this?
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki

Re: Motorola SB6141 "DHCP Enabled"..?

When no internet is present it could be hooked to a dumb switch and distribute DHCP

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
When you connect a external router to the modem, the modem will detect this and disable the private IP address and switch to passing along a public IP address to the router which is preferred and recommended in having a external router connected to the modem.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

agree.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

Napsterbater to BimmerE38FN

MVM

to BimmerE38FN
said by BimmerE38FN:

When you connect a external router to the modem, the modem will detect this and disable the private IP address and switch to passing along a public IP address to the router which is preferred and recommended in having a external router connected to the modem.

Wrong.

If the Cable modem get no service either from the coax able being unplugged or the cable network has the modem in a disabled state or it simply cant sync for some reason it will turn its DHCP server and provide a DHCP to anything hooked to the Ethernet port whether its a router or computer or anything giving that device an IP in the 192.168.100.11-192.168.100.42 range whether its a computer or routers WAN port or anything.

It is only not enabled when the modem successfully syncs and get a valid config that allows it online.

When the modem is online it obeys the config file as to how many devices to allow online behind the modem, most ISP's only allow 1 thus a router is needed for more then one. if a switch is used in this case only the first device seen (or upto the limit the ISP allows) will get an IP (that is not given by the modem but rather by a DHCP server on the ISP's network) and all others will not get an IP or online.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

That incorrect Sir! When I connect my router to my modem I do get a public IP address, NOT a private IP address on the router. SB 6180 > External RouterALL client devices. It may depend on who the ISP and modems are configured. I know for me, and others, Public IP addresses come thru the ISP Modem to the external router. And Yes, I can access the modems UI at 192.168.100.1.

If routers and PCs are getting a private IP address, this means sometimes that the ISP modem has a built in router that has NAT.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

1 edit

Napsterbater

MVM

Re-read what I said.
said by BimmerE38FN:

When you connect a external router to the modem, the modem will detect this and disable the private IP address and switch to passing along a public IP address to the router

That is not what happens, whether you connect a router or a computer doesn't matter it will either pass traffic/dhcp from the cable network or it will use the Internal DHCP under the condition I described.

EDIT: To be clear, I am only talking about the SB6140 that the OP has, although all Surfboard Modems without the built in router work the same way. The Modem/Router combo units are a different animal.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
The SB 6120, 21, 41 and 80 don't have build in routers and are stand alone modems. As far as I know, public IP passes thru to the external router on the other side. There is no private IP address seen on the router as I described unless there is a router built in to some ISP modems.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

1 recommendation

jimbopalmer to rugo32

to rugo32
Every Surfboard MODEM I have used respond to 192.168.100.1

When no signal from the ISP is present, the modem hands out 192.168.100.x addresses downstream, so you can read the diagnostics.

If the modem did not give your router (or directly attached computer) a DHCP address when no signal from the ISP was present, you could not connect to the modem just when you needed to most.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater to BimmerE38FN

MVM

to BimmerE38FN
said by BimmerE38FN:

The SB 6120, 21, 41 and 80 don't have build in routers and are stand alone modems. As far as I know, public IP passes thru to the external router on the other side. There is no private IP address seen on the router as I described unless there is a router built in to some ISP modems.

Or there is no functional cable WAN connection.

Its still not a router, just a DHCP server during that time.

This has been the case since the Surfboard 3100 (and possibly earlier?).

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
maybe however when external routers are connect, the routers get a public IP address, not a private one.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater

MVM

said by BimmerE38FN:

maybe however when external routers are connect, the routers get a public IP address, not a private one.

OMFG lrn2read.

The router will get a private IP from the modems internal DHCP if there is no Cable connection.

It will get a public IP from the Cable network if there is an active cable connection.

The modem doesn't give a **** if its a modem, router or PC. its act the same way no matter that is connected.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
Can will get a public IP address if the cable connection and ISP services are working correctly.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

I am glad that my OP I generated some response, as of now, I would guess that those IP's pooled has no issues regarding me assigning static IP's thru gateway which some modems and routes modem/router combo's have issues with, even tho bridged or "transparent" which is an oxymoron to me even for the SB6141.. is a true modem..which I thought and wanted to use on my LAN. I am rambling..but I am not a Moto fan but this is ok, hardware wise. kinda confusing because of some of the statements I saw which I would not expect to see from a simple Modulator. Cheers.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
It wont. The Motorola is a true Stand alone modem and is best with used with a external router or with a PC by it self. I've tested several different SB models. All work very well.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

yes BimmerE38FN, ..the Moto SB 6141 is a true "stand alone" device aka, Modem or "G@d Damnit" etc. etc...or whatever you want to call it.
rugo32

rugo32

It sure would be a nice if there was a API for my MOTO SB6141, for trouble shooting purposes.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater

MVM

said by rugo32:

It sure would be a nice if there was a API for my MOTO SB6141, for trouble shooting purposes.

You do its called the status page, unless disabled by to Cable Co.

A cable modem has no settings that a user should ever be able to change.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

said by Napsterbater:

said by rugo32:

I bought the Modem, I am not leasing it..so that entitles me to certain rights.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater

MVM

said by rugo32:

said by Napsterbater:

said by rugo32:

I bought the Modem, I am not leasing it..so that entitles me to certain rights.

Not when you connect it to their Cable Plant, The cable provider has full control of every device on its network, esp since the HFC Network is a shared medium and one bad device can cause issues for others, don't like it, either rent a modem or don't subscribe to the service.

Just for giggles, what would you like to change?

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
Need to understand as well, modems are for home users which usually don't or should not have any main issues with ISP modems and the service. Most home models are designed to required little or no management the user. Just really isn't any such management needed on stand alone modems. It will connect or not. In most cases if something on the modem side or ISP side is not working, it's up to the ISP and they are responsible to get the service up and running and maintain the level of service you are paying for. The only thing users need to do is to check with a directly connected PC to make sure the PC is getting service. If not, then users need to call up the ISP and ask for help.

If the PC is getting good service at the modem, and the user is experiencing problems after the modem, then it's the users responsibility to check the cable coming from the modem to the PC or any connected WiFi routers. I see often many users complaining that the WiFi router isn't working when the router relies upon having good service from the ISP modem. If we have the user check with the modem and ISP services, sometimes they find that the modem or ISP service was the root cause of there problem. It's not always the WiFi routers fault.

There are many factors in how it all works. Keeping it simple is the best way and by not having a lot of features on stand alone modems maybe one way modem Mfrs do this. Mt 2 cents.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

1 edit

rugo32 to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
I raised the question, to which.. I DID NOT get a response back from Cable One tech support/engineering regarding the OpenSSL software baked into my Moto SB 6141, which is more concerning to me.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater

MVM

said by rugo32:

I raised the question, to which.. I DID NOT get a response back from Cable One tech support/engineering regarding the OpenSSL software baked into my Moto SB 6141, which is more concerning to me.

What makes you think they know? Motorola is who made the Firmware for the modem, but it would probably be hard for someone who is not with an ISP to get ahold of the right people/information.

Looking at this post »Re: SB6141?!??! the information you need might on one of the status pages of the modem.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
Most of those features and code sections are needed for various networking standards to work right. Also has to be in there for certification as well I presume. Most ISP modem have these features in one form or another. ISPs are probably not apt to give out such low level information to the avg home user, if they even have this information.