uniqs
paulnj
Premium Member
join:2005-06-02
Beach Haven, NJ

paulnj

Premium Member

Call from Cablevision - Slow Internet

Got a call from CV saying that my internet was slow and they needed to come to my house and investigate. My speeds are fine 118 down and 39 up and modem signal levels are good. Anyone else get one of these calls or have any experience with this? I'm just wondering what's up. They seemed very insistent that they had to come to my house.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

1 recommendation

Boooost

Anon

Could be a scam or potential thief. Always treat unsolicited calls with suspicion. Call CV back at their publicized number and ask them if they know of a need to come to your house. If they don't know what you're talking about, call the police.

mpdb2012
@66.249.83.x

mpdb2012 to paulnj

Anon

to paulnj
It's a real call. They are running checks from the plant. If your modem is failing they want to come see why. It may not lead to bad speeds but could be something in the future they can prevent by seeing what the problem is.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to paulnj

Premium Member

to paulnj
said by paulnj:

They seemed very insistent that they had to come to my house.

No, no, no.

Check directly with CV first.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to mpdb2012

Premium Member

to mpdb2012
said by mpdb2012 :

It's a real call.

How do you know that, from California?

mpdb2012
@66.249.83.x

mpdb2012

Anon

I work there lol. If you doubt me, post in the direct forum or call customer service.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost

Anon

said by mpdb2012 :

call customer service.

Which is exactly what I said the OP should do.

jDolan
@173.54.197.x

jDolan

Anon

LOL
You said to call the cops
What would they possible do?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by jDolan :

LOL
You said to call the cops
What would they possible do?

He said

Call CV back at their publicized number and ask them if they know of a need to come to your house. If they don't know what you're talking about, call the police.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to jDolan

Anon

to jDolan
Scams involving people calling and claiming to be from a utility (electric, phone, water, cable, etc) are common. The local police departments want people to report scam phone calls.

Here's an example:
»www.nj.com/cranford/inde ··· anf.html

I would be highly suspicious of a call coming out of the blue saying there was a problem with my Internet service when, as the OP said, the speeds and signal levels are fine.

mpdb2012
@66.249.83.x

mpdb2012

Anon

Totally understand the worry with all the scams these days. Not trying to downplay that. Just wanted to say it is an initiative going forward they will proactively call you if they notice signals are poor and it could be effecting your service. Any CSR can schedule the appt. It will be left on thr account for when you call in.

brentos
join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

brentos to paulnj

to paulnj
The suspense is killing me, report back paulnj!

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

2 recommendations

Pirate515 to mpdb2012

Premium Member

to mpdb2012
said by mpdb2012 :

Totally understand the worry with all the scams these days. Not trying to downplay that. Just wanted to say it is an initiative going forward they will proactively call you if they notice signals are poor and it could be affecting your service. Any CSR can schedule the appt. It will be left on the account for when you call in.

Here are some more tips to check if the caller is really from CV:

•Ask them to read back all your personal information to you. If they are really from CV, they should be able to look up your account info by your modem MAC or the phone number that they called you at. If they are asking you for your info, they are clearly not with CV and most likely a scam artist fishing your personal stuff. DO NOT give them any info if that's the case.
•Ask them for their name, title and work e-mail. Work e-mail must end with @cablevision.com (corporate), not optonline.net (CV customers). If they give you their e-mail, send a test message and tell them to reply once they receive it. If it bounces, they clearly do not work for CV and are not who they say they are. Also, most con artists will hang up on you once you start asking them questions. I do that with telemarketers all the time.
•Again, if in doubt, tell them to note your account and call back CV at one of publicized numbers. If the call was legitimate, any CSR who answers your call will see the note. By the way, I practice the same when it comes to alert calls from my bank regarding my debit/credit cards. I never talk to ones who call me; rather call the number on the back or the card to verify if the alert was legitimate.
champs18
join:2014-01-19
White Haven, PA

champs18

Hang up. Ugh.

brentos
join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

brentos to paulnj

to paulnj
I guess it was fake?
paulnj
Premium Member
Beach Haven, NJ

paulnj

Premium Member

Well just to update everyone...I received a phone Wednesday morning that the Tech called in sick and could I call back to reschedule. Called the CV number for my area and asked for the person who left message. Was connected to her and rescheduled the appointment for Wednesday July 9th.

The story continues........
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

Parth to paulnj

to paulnj
So it seems to be legitimate then.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Pirate515

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

said by mpdb2012 :

Totally understand the worry with all the scams these days. Not trying to downplay that. Just wanted to say it is an initiative going forward they will proactively call you if they notice signals are poor and it could be affecting your service. Any CSR can schedule the appt. It will be left on the account for when you call in.

Here are some more tips to check if the caller is really from CV:

•Ask them to read back all your personal information to you. If they are really from CV, they should be able to look up your account info by your modem MAC or the phone number that they called you at. If they are asking you for your info, they are clearly not with CV and most likely a scam artist fishing your personal stuff. DO NOT give them any info if that's the case.
•Ask them for their name, title and work e-mail. Work e-mail must end with @cablevision.com (corporate), not optonline.net (CV customers). If they give you their e-mail, send a test message and tell them to reply once they receive it. If it bounces, they clearly do not work for CV and are not who they say they are. Also, most con artists will hang up on you once you start asking them questions. I do that with telemarketers all the time.
•Again, if in doubt, tell them to note your account and call back CV at one of publicized numbers. If the call was legitimate, any CSR who answers your call will see the note. By the way, I practice the same when it comes to alert calls from my bank regarding my debit/credit cards. I never talk to ones who call me; rather call the number on the back or the card to verify if the alert was legitimate.

Only amendment to that which I would add is that CSRs can't receive outside emails to their work addresses, so that test won't work. It's likely that they're calling about ingress tracked to your home, possibly padded your signal outside to decrease the impact to others, and assume it is now coming back in the form of slow internet. However, in OPs case it has been proven to be true so he doesn't have to worry about further verification in this incident.
paulnj
Premium Member
Beach Haven, NJ

paulnj

Premium Member

What's ingress?

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

said by paulnj:

What's ingress?

"Ingress" is any unwanted RF Signal or 'Noise' that is introduced into the cable plant from an outside source, be it from a Loose connection, a damaged cable, or even a device connected to the cable that is malfunctioning, and spewing unwanted signals back up into the cable system.

Locating the actual origin of signal ingress on a cable plant can be a real Beeyotch for the Line Techs to pinpoint... (Been There, Seen That...)

-Tursiops_G.

Cvc tech
@68.196.228.x

Cvc tech to paulnj

Anon

to paulnj
These calls are from cablevision.. Cable vision is taking a proactive approach to address issues with speed test results.
Cvc tech

Cvc tech

Anon

This is not a ingress call. It's a call to just test speeds
paulnj
Premium Member
Beach Haven, NJ

paulnj

Premium Member

Well I had the CV Tech visit today. My Internet connection was listed as a "under performer" because of lower than provisioned speeds. Once I became aware of the nature of the issue I was happy to inform the Tech that I had been using a router that was limited to 100 MB on the WAN port. Since I use a SOHO router with WAN failover and multiple IPsec tunnels I had to wait for a GB capable router from my brand of choice. The new router was installed not too long ago and since then I've had Ultra 101 speeds and then some. Since I have a Sam Knows box on my network the low speed was a concern for CV and rightfully so since, on its face, reflected poorly on them. So with everything testing fine today the issue is closed.

Just want to give a big shout out to CV for being proactive! I've been a customer ever since I picked up my original Shark Fin modem at The Wiz so many years ago and CV has never failed me. It is nice to know that CV is looking to provide the best service possible for their customers.

I must say for the record that the Tech that came by the house today was professional, knowledgeable and most of all a very nice guy and a pleasure to work with.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I suspect that they would probably have taken no notice at all if you didn't have the Sam Knows box....

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to paulnj

Premium Member

to paulnj
said by paulnj:

I've been a customer ever since I picked up my original Shark Fin modem at The Wiz so many years ago...

same thing here.
i connected that modem to the cable line and patiently waited.... and waited.... and waited.
listening to that stupid music chime every 120 seconds or so for several days until one day i got internet !
prior to that it was "exploited" netzero dialup without using their adware platform.
paulnj
Premium Member
Beach Haven, NJ

paulnj

Premium Member

Ahhh yes...the good old days. I was a Prodigy victim myself. Who knew then we'd be at speeds like Ultra 101.
paulnj

paulnj

Premium Member

Bumping this thread because I received another call saying the same thing. I tried to explain that I had already been "checked" but it fell on deaf ears. Anyone else having a problem with repeat request to "check" speeds??? Any CV Tech want to chime in on this and give me some insight? Sam Knows speeds on net look good, Level 3 too, M-Lab has some hiccups but nothing extreme. Just performed speed test (1740 Hrs. "Prime-Time) showing 115.25 Mbps Downstream and 40.40 Mbps Upstream.
ducky124
join:2002-12-18
Centereach, NY

ducky124 to paulnj

to paulnj
on Labor day I had a tech show up at my door say that he was here to investigate my slow internet speed. I told him I have no speed issues and he can't come in the house. So he said he will replace the line from the pole to my house and be on his way then. After chattting with him I decide to let him inside to take a look. He grounded all my lines and swapped out my Cisco cable box for an Arris one. after checking my line inside he said I had ingress. turns out one of my cables was loose. I have been a cablevision customer since the mid 80's and have never had the proactively go to check my service. I think it might have something to do with getting my Sam Knows box 2 weeks earlier.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost

Anon

OK, I'll bite: How does CV know you got a Sam Knows box?
BusyProgramm
join:2013-04-20

BusyProgramm

The cable company gets a copy of the Sam Knows data. I think they even have to approve you to get the SK box. (I haven't been able to get one)