Search similar:

uniqs

doc4pcs
join:2001-12-21
Gladys, VA

2 edits

doc4pcs

Upgraded speed, getting errors & no faster speeds

I received a mailing saying that I could now upgrade my line from a 6 meg line to the "up to 10 meg" package. I called & asked could they check my line first and they told me they would. Then they said they did it from their center & it would be able to get 10 megs. But that I would be guaranteed only 80% of that. So with that being 8 megs I agreed. I know the tech in the area and I saw him right before it got switched. He told me that he didn't think I would get more than the 6 megs. After it was switched I get 6.3 megs & it is dropping down to 4 megs some now. I am getting crc errors that I never had before. Do I need to try to get them to switch me back? I was told that was a grandfathered plan & after I switched I could not go back.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Reboot the MODEM/Router.

Let it sit for a day and see if the line stabilizes. If it is still crud, flip it back to 6mb.

"I was told that was a grandfathered plan & after I switched I could not go back." They might try to give you some grief. Cross that bridge if it come to it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to doc4pcs

MVM

to doc4pcs
Help me to understand something. Your screen shot is reporting, "ADSL". I put a SpeedStream 4100 (ADSL modem) on a connection to an ADSL2+ DSLAM, and could sync at 8192 kbps, the maximum rate for ADSL. Connecting a ZTE 831II (ADSL2+ modem) I got ~17000 kbps sync.

So either your DSLAM, or modem is not ADSL2+? Or your premises wiring is inadequate? Or your loop is congested?

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

said by Irish Shark:

Reboot the MODEM/Router.

Rebooted etc a few times
said by NormanS:

So either your DSLAM, or modem is not ADSL2+?

Info that I had before was that I had to have an ADSL2 modem because I purchased my own one time in the past. I currently have the newer one that centurylink provides which is the ZyXel PK5001Z.
said by NormanS:

Or your premises wiring is inadequate?

Wiring in my house could not be better. I am a computer\network technician and I put in a dedicated modem line. The phones are separate. I am an estimated 8000 feet from the DSLAM. I was told in the past that I could only get 6megs due to the length of the line.
doc4pcs

doc4pcs

Click for full size
Switched modem back to the 660 that I had before for a few minutes & this is what I get. No errors according to the modem.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to doc4pcs

to doc4pcs
What was grandfathered on your connection, the price? If it was the price, call CL and ask for the loyalty department, then plead your case. In addition, while talking to the loyalty dept., you could sign up for a one contract to get their latest promotions running. Do you currently have regular phone service along with your DSL? If you have phone and DSL, you could sign up for the $19.99 per month (3 year price guaranty). Only talk to the loyalty department.

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

My grandfathered items were both price & package. I was on a 5 year lock. I have phone etc in my package. They gave me the same exact package with an up to 10meg increase on the internet for the same price and a new lock of 3 years, my lock should be expiring in the next few years so I am about the same. I really just have an increase in speed. But I am only getting about 1/3 of a meg faster after they turned it up. I was hoping for a little more than that. The office that I talked to said I should be able to get about 8, that didn't happen.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to doc4pcs

MVM

to doc4pcs
What speeds do you get with the 660 modem, and what are the line stats? It shows synced at the higher speeds.

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

I get the pretty much the exact same speeds. Line stats were almost identical. Both are getting around 6.3 megs all the time. Both are showing the higher speed on synced on the modems. I do get a higher upload rate, 6meg package is 512 - up to 10 meg package is 768
doc4pcs

doc4pcs

Click for full size

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to doc4pcs

MVM

to doc4pcs
said by doc4pcs:

I am an estimated 8000 feet from the DSLAM. I was told in the past that I could only get 6megs due to the length of the line.

My mother had AT&T on a 9,156 foot loop. They would only offer 3 Mbps because max sync was short of the 6016 kbps they set their 6 Mbps service. When I switched her to Sonic.net, the ADSL2+ modem they shipped would show ADSL2+; but at just short of ~5700 kbps:

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to doc4pcs

MVM

to doc4pcs
Try some speed tests late at night, and also try speedtest.centurylink.net to see what you get. The modem is synced at the higher rate, and you are getting better upload speeds. I would guess you either have a higher error rate on your line, or are another victim of congestion.
stingray71
join:2014-04-28

stingray71 to doc4pcs

to doc4pcs
I'm over 7k (almost 8k) from the CO and connect at 12/896. SNR are at 10/19 respectively. You should be able to get 8-10 megs with out much issue.

Techs told me I'd never get 12Mb that far out. I don't think they really understand their on technology that well. I was getting 15 with SNR of 8. Had recent line issues (fault in my line, switched to new pair) and they locked me in at 12, hope to get back up to 15 as my line was stable even at that speed.

Your SNR could dip down to 6 without much issue. Few CRC errors are nothing to worry about, even if they go into the thousands per day. My connection gets heavy use, nearly 250Gb per month, also a FPS gamer and is rock steady.
Krom
join:2014-07-18
Orlando, FL

1 edit

Krom to doc4pcs

to doc4pcs
I'm a CenturyLink data support agent. Your line looks good except for a low SNR, we like snr to be 9 or higher. This could be causing the crc errors but the real issue with errors is how fast are they building. We have a method for speedtesting designed to measure the raw output of the modem, a call to Centurylink will put you in touch with someone who can go through those steps with you. We only speedtest at the speedtest.centurylink.net website because we can't guarantee speeds over someone else's network. Looking at your line stats this may be necessary, it is possible there are other elements causing the slow speeds. All that being said, if your modem speed is at 11768 and you aren't getting 8+ we want to know about it, there may be an issue developing in your area and we would want to head that off.
Thanks for choosing Centurylink

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

Click for full size
said by Krom:

speedtest.centurylink.net

I use this one a lot also along with others and I get about the same most of the time. With the SNR being low would that be something I can get someone to look at? I am guessing that is signal/noise ratio? And I am also guessing that would be something with my line coming from the station?
doc4pcs

doc4pcs

This is what it's showing now

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Okay, now what are these same stats with your modem connected to the test jack at the NID?

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

In order to test it with my modem I would have to pull extension cords, move modems outside etc in order to test it. I can however test a cable in the house. Like I said above
said by doc4pcs:

Wiring in my house could not be better. I am a computer\network technician and I put in a dedicated modem line.

I have been running wire for over 20 years. Certified by amp and panduit. I have my own testers that I can test cabling with. I just can't test their wire going back. There is nothing wrong with the cabling on the inside of the house.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

You have two modems, it shouldn't be that difficult. Without a stats reading from the test jack to compare to, there is nothing else to offer.

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

said by billaustin:

You have two modems, it shouldn't be that difficult. Without a stats reading from the test jack to compare to, there is nothing else to offer.

Really?????? So you would like for me to go out in the rain and move my modem out there. Take a laptop or something out there and sit out there and check the system to see if it gets any better reading on it.

The wire from the box to my modem is just as good or better than what most have. It's cat5e and there is nothing wrong with that wire. It's a straight shot to a jack installed in the wall.

It's more than likely my line coming down the road. I also get humming, crackling etc on my phone sometimes & the tech's here have not located the problem. But they have told me it's somewhere in the line.

I came on here to get input from Centurylink & maybe some help from their reps. I have had this phone company for 20 years & if I call them I always get told to reboot the modem etc. Then just like the other day when they were going to upgrade my service that did not happen correctly. Instead of upgrading, someone disabled my port & I had to find the tech I know to get my service turned back on. I am afraid to place the call because every time in the past when I have called, they have either turned it off or changed my service when I did not want it changed.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

Why didn't you offer any of this information to begin with? If you have those issues on your POTS line, they need to be fixed before your DSL will get any better than it is.

No one expects you to go out in the rain. Without a reading from the test jack to compare with, it's hard to make your case with CL Support that you need line work done further upstream.

CL does not provided support directly on this forum very often. Most of their messages say to send a detailed email to: talktous@centurylink.com

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

This case has been made with CL for many years. Like I said I came on here to get help from a rep. I have contacted them and received a response in an IM. I have gotten a response from a rep that helped me years ago on here. I have been a member a long time on here (about as long as you have), I just don't frequent here as much anymore.

I got some further info for myself by posting what I did.
said by Krom:

Your line looks good except for a low SNR, we like snr to be 9 or higher.

This was valuable info to me so I could watch that and know what it should be set at.

Now with that being said, today I rebooted the modem because it was starting to get a lot of crc errors compared to the other day. Now my modem is showing the SNR at 10.8 on the download side and my internet speed has dropped from 6 megs to 1.3 megs. So that must not be the entire problem.
doc4pcs

doc4pcs

Click for full size
Click for full size
This is what I am getting today. A lot more crc errors and speed is slow, SNR is over 10 now.
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to doc4pcs

to doc4pcs
So you have a cat5 cable running straight from the NID to the phone jack that your modem is connected to, and the cat5 cable terminates at that same jack (no other wiring daisy chained off the modem jack). Is that correct?

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by gapmn:

cat5 cable running straight from the NID to the phone jack that your modem is connected to, and the cat5 cable terminates at that same jack (no other wiring daisy chained off the modem jack).

Correct.

Speed and errors really bad today, raining some but in the past (even with the bad line) I would still get 6 megs all the time. I finally got aggravated enough a few minutes ago and plugged the 660 back in. Once again, no errors running at 6 megs. Changed back to the new modem, errors and 2 megs. Pictures in this one is showing the 660 speeds right now.
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

So why not use the 660?

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

That's what I am starting to think again.

I would much rather use the new one. It of course is new and the 660 is several years old. The user interface is much nicer, it has more features, and it has a wireless router built in. I have to use a separate router when I run the 660.

I have to call them back again Monday anyway because I just saw my bill online I was told if I shifted, the phone package was supposed to be the same, internet speed would go up but the price would be 1 nickel less. Bill was $27 higher

So now I am really irritated. I was told on the phone I was going to get this great speed improvement, a new modem and my bill would be 5 cents cheaper. Instead I have had nothing but problems again and my bill is $27 higher. Happens every time.
doc4pcs

doc4pcs

Just went through my bill that is now showing online. They raised the price of my package when I was told it was going to be cheaper. I have a feeling I will be getting screwed over this one because the lady told me once she made the switch I could not go back to my plan.
Krom
join:2014-07-18
Orlando, FL

Krom to doc4pcs

to doc4pcs
What was the result of your call to CenturyLink tech support?
You did call them, right?

doc4pcs
Gladys, VA

doc4pcs

I have not called yet. If I call on the weekend or after 5:00 weekdays you used to get someone that is in front of a computer with script to go by. They then forward that information to the technicians and create a work order that is not seen until the techs come back to work on Monday. Going that route would probably have them turn the port back off again.

Right now my concern is changing to the bill. They raised my bill by $27 and I have no improvement. I am not (and was not) willing to pay an extra $27 a month on top of what I was already paying. My bill was already too high before this.