spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Savagex
join:2012-12-31

Savagex

T1200/2200 Information Thread

Hello All !!

I'm a Telus tech and long time lurker of these forums. A couple days ago I posted a screen shot of the Port1 Bridge option of the new gateways - it seems to have sparked a bit of interest - judging by the number of PMs I got =)

I figured I would put up a little post with some info regarding the new units - slated to start deployment soon on new installs and repairs.

*****!!!!***** DISCLAIMER *****!!!!!*****

What I write here is of my own accord - with no direction from Telus. The information I provide here is 'as I know it' and is in no way Telus 'written in stone' policy and/or a statement from the company proper.

*****!!!!***** +++++++++ *****!!!!!*****

Now that that's out of the way...

A little background:

I have had one of these gateways in my home since April (?) as part of the internal test group. I subscribe to TV (1 PVR (cat5) and 1 HD-STB(coax)) - internet and home phone. I have the 3HD/1SD profile with 25m internet. I do not have a complex home network - IE no bridged router etc. Overall I have noticed very little difference in my services - everything works flawlessly as it always has.

The communication that was sent to the tech group is that the units will be deployed to new Telus TV installs with any speed of internet and to stand alone Internet 100 subscribers only. The Zyxel is being phased out and on new installs of High-speed 6 to 50 - they will be given V1000/2000 units. As far as current subscribers - I don't know if you will be able to call in and request a new unit and what charges would be applied to field a tech to swap your existing V1000/2000 gateway. I would think that internet only customers could also request a 1200/2200 if bridge mode is needed. As a tech I would be inclined to provide one of the new units if my customer said they wanted the ability to bridge to their own router.

While I have no actual stats - the new gateways have alot more processing power and memory than the V1000/2000. They say the new gateways will be able to support up to 1Gbps throughput from the WAN side.

My test unit only has 2.4Ghz wifi capability - no 5G option in the firmware. I'm not sure if this was our test units only or if all the new gateways will have 2.4 only. What I can say is that while I never have had wifi issues in my home I know a couple tech friends that did with the V1000 and swapping to the newer unit brought their wifi performance up. I did notice that the new gateway seemed to have stronger/stabler wifi performance - I could take my ipad further out of my house (into the back yard) and still stream HD youtube etc (my gateway is at the main electrical panel).

As far as the firmware itself - if you have the .13 on your V1000/2000 already - that's pretty much it - with a few additions:

Bridge mode !! I have seen so many requests for this its not even funny. The 'Port1 Bridge' will turn the LAN 1 port into a pass though and anything plugged into that port will be assigned a WAN IP - IE your own $200 router. This option does not turn the gateway into a dumb modem - it will still grab its own WAN IP and will be able to run TTV service and handle its own internet traffic - IE: On Demand and TTV Apps + anything else you might choose to connect to the Actiontec's other 3 LAN ports + WIFI.

File Storage - Samba and DLNA. The USB port will be active and you will be able to attach your own hard drive directly to the unit and access files/stream directly from the unit.

There is also a ton of added diag features for techs and the techy inclined customers to use. Wifi, coax and DSL diag tools have all been added to the firmware.

I hope the folks who use this forum find this helpful =) Feel free to post any questions you might have...

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

2 edits

humanfilth

I thought so that the port1 bridge would give an extra IP for customer router and keep the other 3 LAN +Wlan for Optik TV. A fair solution and no pitch fork parties from customers.

Got a feeling that the 5Ghz is just for the wireless Optik TV. Push the WPS button on each unit and no customer messing with its settings. That would eliminate the 5Ghz standalone wireless access point. The FCC site doesn't show any 5ghz when it was submitted for initial review last year.

Chatter about probably a month or 2 and Telus could push out the port1 bridge update to the older Actiontecs and the Zyxel.

TDS Telecom has also ordered the new Actiontec. Actiontec is busy rewriting bits of the T2200H page. I think Telus may of yelled at Actiontec for having Telus logos on it through testing/modifications.
»www.actiontec.com/produc ··· ?nid=315
Thread on some loose specs for TDS.
»Some details about TDS' 1gig fiber service....

Old thread with some images(gateway and port1 bridge page).
»New Telus Gateway T2200H

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

1 edit

Darhole to Savagex

Premium Member

to Savagex
said by Savagex:

Hello All !!

I'm a Telus tech and long time lurker of these forums. A couple days ago I posted a screen shot of the Port1 Bridge option of the new gateways - it seems to have sparked a bit of interest - judging by the number of PMs I got =)

I figured I would put up a little post with some info regarding the new units - slated to start deployment soon on new installs and repairs.

*****!!!!***** DISCLAIMER *****!!!!!*****

What I write here is of my own accord - with no direction from Telus. The information I provide here is 'as I know it' and is in no way Telus 'written in stone' policy and/or a statement from the company proper.

*****!!!!***** +++++++++ *****!!!!!*****

Now that that's out of the way...

A little background:

I have had one of these gateways in my home since April (?) as part of the internal test group. I subscribe to TV (1 PVR (cat5) and 1 HD-STB(coax)) - internet and home phone. I have the 3HD/1SD profile with 25m internet. I do not have a complex home network - IE no bridged router etc. Overall I have noticed very little difference in my services - everything works flawlessly as it always has.

The communication that was sent to the tech group is that the units will be deployed to new Telus TV installs with any speed of internet and to stand alone Internet 100 subscribers only. The Zyxel is being phased out and on new installs of High-speed 6 to 50 - they will be given V1000/2000 units. As far as current subscribers - I don't know if you will be able to call in and request a new unit and what charges would be applied to field a tech to swap your existing V1000/2000 gateway. I would think that internet only customers could also request a 1200/2200 if bridge mode is needed. As a tech I would be inclined to provide one of the new units if my customer said they wanted the ability to bridge to their own router.

While I have no actual stats - the new gateways have alot more processing power and memory than the V1000/2000. They say the new gateways will be able to support up to 1Gbps throughput from the WAN side.

My test unit only has 2.4Ghz wifi capability - no 5G option in the firmware. I'm not sure if this was our test units only or if all the new gateways will have 2.4 only. What I can say is that while I never have had wifi issues in my home I know a couple tech friends that did with the V1000 and swapping to the newer unit brought their wifi performance up. I did notice that the new gateway seemed to have stronger/stabler wifi performance - I could take my ipad further out of my house (into the back yard) and still stream HD youtube etc (my gateway is at the main electrical panel).

As far as the firmware itself - if you have the .13 on your V1000/2000 already - that's pretty much it - with a few additions:

Bridge mode !! I have seen so many requests for this its not even funny. The 'Port1 Bridge' will turn the LAN 1 port into a pass though and anything plugged into that port will be assigned a WAN IP - IE your own $200 router. This option does not turn the gateway into a dumb modem - it will still grab its own WAN IP and will be able to run TTV service and handle its own internet traffic - IE: On Demand and TTV Apps + anything else you might choose to connect to the Actiontec's other 3 LAN ports + WIFI.

File Storage - Samba and DLNA. The USB port will be active and you will be able to attach your own hard drive directly to the unit and access files/stream directly from the unit.

There is also a ton of added diag features for techs and the techy inclined customers to use. Wifi, coax and DSL diag tools have all been added to the firmware.

I hope the folks who use this forum find this helpful =) Feel free to post any questions you might have...

I have root on the .13 firmware and that 1 port bridge options exists in a different but exactly the same functioning manner.

As opposed to regular DMZ, in the root menu's there is an Advanced DMZ. It lets one device pull an external IP (which is the same as the actiontechs external IP) and function completely outside the actiontechs zone of control. NAT, port forwarding, etc all functions just like bridge.
I've been running my setup like this for a few months now with zero issues. I have been harassing Telus about allowing the advanced DMZ for regular logins since the new firmware push.

Nice to see them get their heads out of their asses.

edit: Visual :

bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to Savagex

to Savagex
I hope Telus finally offers a solution with true bridging. I have an ALU and I'm hanging my own router / AP and the Telus d-link off the ALU using a switch. I don't want to give the ALU up until Telus offers a way for me to have my own router for my PCs without sharing the WAN and LAN with the TVs.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Darhole

Premium Member

to Darhole
said by Darhole:

Nice to see them get their heads out of their asses.

You are also assuming, that Telus will leave that option there, when they start mass deploying them to customers.. Rather than just employee trials
Savagex

1 edit

Savagex

said by kevinds:

You are also assuming, that Telus will leave that option there, when they start mass deploying them to customers.. Rather than just employee trials

The 8 fresh units I picked up for stock today with the option enabled says our customers will be getting it =)
said by bimmerdriver:

I don't want to give the ALU up until Telus offers a way for me to have my own router for my PCs without sharing the WAN and LAN with the TVs.

I'm not sure what you mean about sharing the WAN - because with your current described setup - you are in fact - sharing the WAN connection with the TV service. Your Dlink is pulling 1 IP (I assume only your STBs are connected to this) and your own router is pulling a 2nd IP - all through the same WAN connection (ALU). All the QoS to ensure the TV service is getting the bandwidth it needs happens regardless of configuration. Eventually your ALU and or Dlink will bite the dust and a new V1200 with Port1 bridge enabled will provide you with the same setup - you just have to plug your router into the LAN1 port and it will pull an external IP.

humanfilth
river styx

1 edit

humanfilth

said by Savagex:

The 8 fresh units I picked up for stock today

Any word on current 5Ghz specifications? Is it hidden and could be found by hitting WPS and using a wifi scanner to find? Maybe the 5ghz model not yet approved in Canada, so its locked out for now?
TDS Telecom thread link above says A ,B, G, N
They are still using an 5ghz access point for their wireless TV units
Savagex

Savagex

As far as I know - there is no way to get these units to transmit 5G. Now, that could be because they are incapable of doing so - or maybe it is just locked out in the current firmware - I don't know. I don't think there is any plans to connect the wireless STBs directly to the gateway (even if it does have 5G) as the wireless STBs and the AP are both made by Cisco and are designed to work together.

Lol don't quote me on any of this - tech devs could have any number of things planed =D

humanfilth
river styx

humanfilth

said by Savagex:

Now, that could be because they are incapable of doing so - or maybe it is just locked out in the current firmware

Ok then. Give us a little and we'll still ask for more more more.
Savagex

Savagex

said by humanfilth:

more more more

I don't have any more to give !!
mr_donk
join:2014-07-24

mr_donk

I just got Internet 50 (2 days ago), and the lack of bridge mode is driving me crazy... I'm in Calgary, do you think I can call Telus and get a different modem with bridge mode now? Should I cancel Telus and try again in a month?

I haven't cancelled my Shaw yet, so I can switch back instantly...

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed

Premium Member

Telus does not offer a straight up modem for Internet 50. Nor do they currently offer the ability to bridge your setup.

South_of_22
join:2009-03-23

South_of_22

Would a SmartRG SR505N work wonders for Telus customers?
If you can find one.
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to Savagex

to Savagex
said by Savagex:

I'm not sure what you mean about sharing the WAN - because with your current described setup - you are in fact - sharing the WAN connection with the TV service. Your Dlink is pulling 1 IP (I assume only your STBs are connected to this) and your own router is pulling a 2nd IP - all through the same WAN connection (ALU). All the QoS to ensure the TV service is getting the bandwidth it needs happens regardless of configuration. Eventually your ALU and or Dlink will bite the dust and a new V1200 with Port1 bridge enabled will provide you with the same setup - you just have to plug your router into the LAN1 port and it will pull an external IP.

I realize there is only one WAN connection. What I meant was I don't want to share an IP and with the TVs and also have double NAT in order to use my own router. My current setup lets me have separate IP addresses for the TVs from the computers and other devices on my LAN. That's currently not possible with an Actiontec V1000H. If this new unit supports a separate bridged connection, I will be open to use it. (I understand that if my ALU dies, I will probably have no choice in the matter.)

humanfilth
river styx

humanfilth to Savagex

to Savagex
Telus T1200H/T2200H user manual.

PDF
»static.telus.com/common/ ··· nual.pdf

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Thanks
Expand your moderator at work
Chonger
join:2014-08-04

Chonger to Savagex

to Savagex

Re: T1200/2200 Information Thread

Any idea when we can expect to see the new hardware land in the lower mainland? Specifically Surrey? I'm so close to switching to Shaw because my shiny new ASUS RT-AC68U is pretty much a brick without the ability to bridge so I can use all the functions ie. aicould, FTP/DNS access as well as Bubble Upnp server to transcode incompatible formats to use with the chromecast dongle.

I'm getting Double NAT issues out my yingyang because of the inability to bridge the V1000H. Thanks for the hopefull update Savagex. What would be my best bet to get one of these ASAP?!

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by Chonger:

FTP/DNS access

Also be aware, port 21 incoming is blocked with Telus
58391701 (banned)
join:2014-06-30
New Westminster, BC

58391701 (banned) to jtl999

to jtl999
said by jtl999:

CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

should be CEO of Hactiontec* Dev Team

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Haha, love that idea!
+1
Chonger

Chonger to kevinds

to kevinds
Please clarify what that means? I new to this whole thing...

jtl999
canada

jtl999

You can't run a FTP server on port 21 using Telus home internet but you could on another port not blocked by Telus.
Chonger

Chonger

Would an SFTP on port 22 work?

jtl999
canada

jtl999

If Telus doesn't filter port 22, which I believe they don't.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Chonger

Premium Member

to Chonger
Telus' official blocked ports list

»telus.com/portalWeb/port ··· =BC&pre=
Vic20
join:2014-07-05
canada

Vic20 to Chonger

to Chonger
said by Chonger:

Would an SFTP on port 22 work?

I would use a different non-standard port as port 22 is used for SSH and is scanned frequently from the wan side.
Chonger

Chonger

Just had the t1200 installed and I can confirm that bridge on port 1 is working and I my router is registering a public Wan address. Still have to play with the settings.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to Savagex

to Savagex
If Telus plans to eventually roll out the T1200/2200 to everyone with this WAN port feature intact, isn't that going to mean that they need 2x the number of IPv4 addresses? And aren't they short of IPv4 address space? How is this going to work?

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

said by AJ102:

If Telus plans to eventually roll out the T1200/2200 to everyone with this WAN port feature intact, isn't that going to mean that they need 2x the number of IPv4 addresses? And aren't they short of IPv4 address space? How is this going to work?

I believe it works just like an Advanced DMZ (not to be confused with a regular DMZ where internal IP is still assigned). You pull the same external IP as the actiontech itself.

I have this setup on my 1000h via old root method. The IP is identical traffic is just uninhibited in any way through the port.