All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Zed071
join:2010-09-16

Zed071

[DSL] Installation chaos

I'm trying to get dry loop VDSL installed as a migration from Bell.

Turns out that it's a bad idea for service continuity.

I was expecting Bell to install a second dry loop for Start last Friday. Bell was a no-show, but I think the tech saw that I had an existing circuit and marked their order as done.

The existing circuit went down the next day as Bell as it was removed from my account as of the night before.

I'm still in Bell Hell as Start is trying to push Bell to do their job correctly, but by then, it'll be a week out of service.

Unfortunately, it's a product of the CRTC. Start's support has been good, but it's frustrating for everyone when a customer is out of service for an issue caused by a supplier.

My lesson is that if one wants to change dry-loop providers, go to cable first and then back to DSL.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam

Hello,

If you want, PM me your account # so I can take a look at your account to make sure everything possible is being done to remedy the situation.

As for avoiding downtime, going to cable and then FTTN DSL is a bit of pricey measure, thats $100 in install fees.

Generally installing a second DSL circuit is not an issue. What my personal recommendation is for any customer going from Bell to us on DSL, is schedule our install about at least a week before. Gives time for any mishaps to be taken care of and the Bell tech will have to install/activate a second pair rather then re-using pair the existing Bel service is on.
Zed071

Zed071

Pm sent.

If I knew how bad Bell would screw this install up, I would have gladly paid the extra to avoid the chaos.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Any update on this? The ball was dropped on this one - I'm curious as to how and when it gets rectified.

Mike
Zed071

Zed071

The long and the short of it is that while I was expecting a new dry loop to be installed, Bell not only took it as a cancel on the existing dry loop, but canceled the install (with no notice) because as the local Bell service manager told me today "Bell retail customers take priority". This has left me with no voice, data, or video service except for the two TV stations I can get. The best I can do is tether through a cell for the time being, and I'm not looking forward to that bill.

We're now looking at a cable install next Wednesday as the first date for DSL would be August 6th - which would be 3 weeks o/s.

The Start support has been great and they have been in regular communication through the whole process. That said, as much as I do like the Start support folks, I *really* don't want to have to be calling them, especially for crap like this that is out of their control. It's annoying as hell though and it will be about 2 weeks o/s when it's all done - assuming the cable tech shows up when scheduled.

Once the tech shows up and I have service, then we'll talk about the beancounting.

Looking back, I would have gone with cable as an intermediate step, or not bothered to change providers if I knew what sort of gong show it would have started. It's an unfortunate side effect of the environment that the CTRC allows to happen.

Z

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Ah jeez. That's tough to swallow I'm sure.

This is why I really want to stay away from DSL.

IMHO, both Rogers and Bell are equally evil, but I do give Bell a slight advantage in the Sad Pathetic Bullshit Arena.

You might want to consider writing a letter detailing your experience to Bell's Office Of The President, and send a copy addressed personally to the Chairman of the CRTC. It really does epitomize the lengths from which Canada has strayed from the spirit of both the Telecommunications Act and Competition Act, thanks to a corrupt bunch bent on their own agenda.

Mike
Zed071

Zed071

Here's the real kicker:

Once I got Start's install date for cable, I gave the red folks a call and they said they could have someone out the next morning to do an install. Of course, they wanted a DNA sample and my bank account balance first, but still.....

It's a two-tiered service for sure.

Bastards.

z
Zed071

Zed071

And it's up and running!

After all the chaos, the service is in and running clean and green.

I want to say THANK YOU to all the staff at Start for their professionalism and skill getting the installation done and getting the beancounting sorted out. And a sorry if I came across as a little harsh at times.

Z

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam

Awesome! Glad to see you are up running on your cable connection.

No apologies necessary, all us here on the support understand being without internet service is not a pleasant experience.

Let us know if you have any further troubles.