spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Count Damone
@67.53.153.x

Count Damone

Anon

[Internet] Need help with UBEE network setup

OK, got TWC with the Ubee modem. Don't like the wireless on it (poor range, quality, etc) and want to add a wireless router.

My Ubee is in the basement
I want wireless N router on the first floor
I have hard wired connections from the basement to the first floor

With the UBEE in Bridge Mode, can I still use the LAN ports on the UBEE?
If not, what would be the best configuration?
I do have an old WRT54G that I could put by the UBEE, disable the wireless, and use the WRT54G's LAN ports to feed the hard wired connections, one of which would be the new Wireless N router upstairs. Would that be a good option?

Thanks
keno5net
join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net

said by Count Damone :

I do have an old WRT54G that I could put by the UBEE, disable the wireless, and use the WRT54G's LAN ports to feed the hard wired connections, one of which would be the new Wireless N router upstairs. Would that be a good option?

This would work if you need the LAN ports at the existing router. Other options would be to leave the Ubee modem as is and set up the N router as an access point with the same SSID and security as the Ubee to get better coverage. I don't think that you could use all the LAN ports on the Ubee in bridge mode unless you want to get multiple wan addresses. I doubt that TW would allow this without getting more money thou it depends on your TOS.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to Count Damone

to Count Damone
I have one of the TWC Ubee router/modem combo units (DDW3611 I believe). If you can, my advice would be to just use it in Bridge mode so it only works as a cable modem. Search here at DSLR and you will find forum on how to do this. That or have TWC Level 3 tech to do it for you. Then use your own router with built in switch and/or WiFi to connect to the rest of your network. More control and functionality this way.

First you can go into »192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp after logging in to see how many CPE's you have assigned, (Consumer Premise Equipment). 1 CPE is one DHCP IP address that the modem will hand out in Bridge mode. Mine says 5 CPS's so I could get 5 WAN internet addresses.

Most configs are probably one 1 IP address so make sure you put your network connection to your router into switch port 1 of the Ubee. Some say that ports 2-4 may not work if you only have one IP address on your account.

Just remember to power cycle the modem after doing your setup because they have a habit of locking onto the 1st piece of equipment's address. The bridge mode stays through power cycle so you can even connect PC directly to modem to configure it. Unplug it. Connect your router with the power off. Then turn on Modem and let it finish syncing. Then turn on Router and it should get WAN DHCP IP address. You can install switches or AP's after that.
F100

F100 to Count Damone

to Count Damone
If it wasn't clear, in Bridge mode, putting switch next to Ubee modem wouldn't help you unless you want separate networks with different IP addresses. That will only work if your account allows more than one public IP address. Hence the way to check that I mentioned.

If you only have one Public IP, just use port 1 on Ubee. The other ports will go unused. It's just like a modem only then that has power, cable and 1 network port.

You didn't say if you have TWC phone. If not, then this is fine. I don't use TWC for phone so my modem doesn't have any phone. If you had phone TWC phone, that might impact setup.

Count Damone
@67.53.153.x

Count Damone to F100

Anon

to F100
Thanks for the help so far. I'm going to tackle it this weekend.
No phone, so no worries there.

I have a unused 4 port switch as well. Would this work?
Ubee in bridge mode with port 1 connected to switch
Switch feeding 3 various hard wired lines (DirecTV receiver, Blueray DVD player and 1 PC) and 1 wireless router

Let wireless router handle DHCP, etc.

Will this work putting switch in line first?

Thanks
keno5net
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net

said by Count Damone :

Will this work putting switch in line first?

That would be no different than connecting multiple devices to the Ubee. An external switch vs an internal switch all the devices would need to be assigned a wan ip address. Once it is in bridge mode the Ubee will no longer do NAT so you will need another device to provide that if you want to create an internal network.

Count Damone
@24.167.255.x

Count Damone

Anon

Got it.

The plan is:
Ubee in bridge mode with port 1 going to old Linksys WRT54G (wireless off, DHCP on)
Linksys feeding 4 hardwired lines, 1 of which will be new Wireless N router
Turn off DHCP on new N router

I think this will let the WRT54G handle all the IP addresses, including the wireless clients connecting to new N router.

Confirmed that I can login to appropriate screen to change UBEE to bridge mode.
Got WRT54G configured with no wireless

Just waiting for N router to arrive tomorrow. Will post back to confirm that it worked or ask more questions!! I'm in Meno Falls, so if it doesn't work, I may be buying keno5net some beers to come help!!

Thanks
keno5net
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net

Sounds like you got it. That is the same setup I use but I have a small pc running PFsense in place of the WRT54G.

Count Damone
@24.167.254.x

Count Damone

Anon

Everything appears to be working. Thanks for the help.

One last question . . .
If my DHCP server (the Linksys) is giving out IP addresses in the .1.100 to .1.149 range, should I give my Wireless N router an address outside that range, like 1.248??
keno5net
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net

said by Count Damone :

If my DHCP server (the Linksys) is giving out IP addresses in the .1.100 to .1.149 range, should I give my Wireless N router an address outside that range, like 1.248??

Yes that would be best.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to Count Damone

to Count Damone
Sounds like you got the best setup now. Each piece is better at doing just one basic thing and you have control over your network.

smallnetbuilding.com has an article about doing the same setup you have here. Basic modem/Bridged modem, router w/out Wifi doing DHCP and NAT, Switch (1 gig preferred) for wired devices, WAP where needed connected to switch.

Just plug the WAP into the LAN port, not the WAN if you are using a router/AP as just an AP only so that it does not do double NAT. Disable DHCP on it as well so that only the WRT54g assigns addresses. Now you should be able to talk to it with the address you gave it outside of the DHCP range.