All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Tabletop
@71.34.222.x

Tabletop

Anon

If Centurylink's wasn't such a joke I'd cry...

Hi guys,

I found this at »downdetector.com/status/ ··· turylink more people with the same problems. I am thinking about contacting my city council, state and federal representatives and find out how the isp's can get away with this crappy service. I don't know what state and federal rules and regulations are but at the local level there must be some kind of contract agreement to allow isp's such as centurylink to run lines through right of ways.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

Your going off on a rant nocking CL. Yet, you do not describe any problems "your" having with your CL connection.
TechMike
join:2008-06-09
Denver, CO

TechMike to Tabletop

to Tabletop
Find one ISP on that website that doesn't have any problems. Considering it's name is "down detector," I'm not shocked that people are reporting down Internet connections. Considering the span of CTL's network, the number of reports is hardly statistically significant.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Tabletop

MVM

to Tabletop
said by Tabletop :

I don't know what state and federal rules and regulations are but at the local level there must be some kind of contract agreement to allow isp's such as centurylink to run lines through right of ways.

CenturyLink is an ILEC. The former Qwest part was part of the original "Ma Bell" (AT&T), until AT&T was broken apart, and the former regional Bell became, "USWest". As such, it is/was regulated at the state level. Its two large sister Bells are, currently, AT&T and Verizon.

Addendum: CenturyLink also incorporates two non-Bell ILECs: CenturyTel and Embarq. I am not familiar with their regulatory history; but CenturyLink's geographic footprint is largest of all the ILECs
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

To add to what Norman said, "Internet" is as good as completely unregulated here in the United States. The "ISPs" we have today, both the telephone local exchange carriers and the cable companies are under essentially no obligation whatsoever to offer Internet services, there's no federal price controls on Internet services, the FCC has "defined" broadband, but that doesn't really imply that anybody's going to bring it to you, and it's all set up so that even if there are "requirements" -- everybody can just point at Exede and go "look, the customer has a broadband choice!"

Any future regulation on the physical infrastructure of telecommunications in the United States will need to find some way of addressing issues like this. Fortunately, with fiber becoming better from a deployment and a technology standpoint all the time, the way forward is pretty clear, at least in terms of what technologies need to be invested in.

But, like I said, it'll take us a while to get there.