All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Remi
@192.0.200.x

Remi

Anon

[Cable] So we got a call from Rogers...(Advice?)

We were told that apparently our house is apparently sending out some sort of interference that is affecting the internet in other homes in the neighborhood. The worst part is that this is the second time this has happened in a year following almost a week outage waiting for a rogers tech to come out and hook us back up to TekSaavy after a similar phone call.

Now I don't pretend to know much at all about how everything works beyond a beginner level, but is this even possible / legitimate? The first time it happened it was after there was work in the neighborhood so we though some crappy tech was just covering up some damage or something that he had caused. Is this normal? Did we do something we shouldn't have? Thanks in advance for any light anyone could shed on this for us.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

It happens very occasionally.. They should be trying to make an appointment with you for them to come in & figure out the cause of the interference however... Did they not do that?

Remi
@192.0.200.x

Remi

Anon

They did, I forgot to mention that. A tech is supposed to be coming out on Monday; we would just really like to be able to avoid another week left without cable and internet. I suppose there's really not much we can do about it in the end. More or less wanted to know if this type of thing was typical.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

We've had several problems in our 3-building complex due to interference caused by others. The problems persist over in building 3, I have several people switching to VDSL in the next week or so because of ongoing issues.

Things calmed down for me once they fixed some bad cabling in a unit 3 floors below me that caused 6 tickets to be opened. Rogers however were closing the tickets Start was opening on my behalf with the typical "no problem found - connection in spec" bullshit, knowing full well several tickets were open in the building. It took 6 weeks to fix mine.

I think this happens far more than is let on.

Mike
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to Remi

Premium Member

to Remi
said by Remi :

They did, I forgot to mention that. A tech is supposed to be coming out on Monday; we would just really like to be able to avoid another week left without cable and internet. I suppose there's really not much we can do about it in the end. More or less wanted to know if this type of thing was typical.

If they've tracked it down to your home, they'll check the cabling, and probably even old equipment that's plugged in.

Don't unplug anything you don't usually have unplugged. Just keep things as they usually are - it'll make it easier on the tech to find the cause of the problem.

Make sure they they know about any and all fridges and freezer units.. Old fridges have been known to cause this sort of interference. You may be scrapping an old fridge.

Remi
@192.0.200.x

Remi

Anon

Thanks to all for the help. Interesting to hear about the old fridge / freezer units though I had no idea. Guess we'll wait until Monday to see what's up.

JohnCC
join:2005-12-19
none

JohnCC to resa1983

to resa1983
I'm curious as to how/what does an old fridge have in it that causes interference in a cable line which is hard wired. I've heard of it causing problems with RF, but not cable. How does that work? I googled and couldn't find anything.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

The problem we had in our building was a modem plugged in right next to an entertainment unit, sharing the receptacle. They moved the modem. The problem stopped. No shit. I was flabbergasted.

Mike

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to JohnCC

Premium Member

to JohnCC
said by JohnCC:

I'm curious as to how/what does an old fridge have in it that causes interference in a cable line which is hard wired. I've heard of it causing problems with RF, but not cable. How does that work? I googled and couldn't find anything.

You just answered your own question cable is RF in a closed system. Aka they use the same frequencies as outside frequencies and are allowed by CRTC provided they don't egress out or in this case, ingress into the system from outside RF frequencies.

So if a fridge is putting out RF in a range that is also used by Rogers cable internet frequencies, it can definitely cause a problem. It might not have been in years gone by because rogers isolated their frequencies to a small range of downstream and upstream, but now that they use more frequencies it can cause issues with internet...not sure offhand what frequency a fridge might output at, but just a thought on this....yes also electrical can be weird I have found as well.

But to the OP, its probably good, if it keeps hapenning my theory is someone goofing around with the cable....but its part of what rogers needs to do as per their mandate to provide service, unfortunately TPIAs would never be involved in this beyond their own client....which can cause problems as rogers may have just 2 or 3 tickets and start might have 2 or 3 but the tech doesn't put 2 and 2 together because neither company can see the others tickets...which is kinda sad....rogers can and should be doing a better job of this.
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

was opening on my behalf with the typical "no problem found - connection in spec" bullshit, knowing full well several tickets were open in the building. It took 6 weeks to fix mine.

I think this happens far more than is let on.

they're just lazy and want to sit around longer between appointments. I got the same guy for more than one visit a long time ago, he just sat in a parking lot and smoked weed before knocking on my door, then went back to smoke more afterwards. all he did the the first time was give me a new modem, then said it was good and went on his way. ...this fixed nothing.
chipface
join:2011-07-13

chipface to Remi

to Remi
I saw some techs waiting outside my place once 3 years ago. They came to the door mentioned the modem sputtering garbage and something about packet loss. They said it was possible I'd have to replace my modem(Thomson DCM 425). Whatever it was they managed to fix it. Didn't take long at all.