uniqs

hopetindall
Premium Member
join:2011-11-12
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Wiring help....

So according to Teksavvy support - there may be a problem with the DSL wiring that comes into the house or the corning VDSL splitter that Teksavvy installed on signup.

Today:

Attenuation at Demarc is: Attenuation: d34.0/u29.0 dB
Attenuation at Splitter is: Attenuation: d49.0/u43.0 dB

(Although I'm convinced the Bell Tech that came this morning caused some of this worsening with whatever he installed outside - since on Wednesday of this week Attenuation at the Splitter was:

On July 23rd, 2014
Attenuation at Splitter: Attenuation: d35.0/u30.0 dB

Worst case - if we need to replace cables and the splitter - how can I get this done?

Does TekSavvy do this for a fee - or have someone that can do this for us?

PHT
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred

Sounds like the Bell tech screwed up the demarc connection to your inside wiring. Your figures at the demarc are basically what you were getting before at the splitter. Adding the demarc added ~15dB of attenuation on your inside wiring side of the test jack.

I'm handy with wiring so I'd open up the demarc connections for the inside wiring and make new clean ones. I'd also look around for any pinched wiring or bodged splices that were added at the time the demarc was installed.

If you aren't happy doing that yourself, I don't know how much you can push TSI to get a different Bell tech out to fix what the first one did without getting charged for the inside wiring repair, or get your own telecom wiring guy to take a look.

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

Calero27 to hopetindall

to hopetindall
If your install was 30 days ago or less it should still be under warranty by Bell. A ticket should be opened to get the POTs splitter checked.

If it it's past 30 days then there is nothing that Teksavvy can really do for as inside wiring is customer responsibility and Bell will go as far as your demarc to check if the service is working properly, which in your case it appears to be.

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall to notfred

Premium Member

to notfred
thanks Fred - could this be complicated by the mounting of the demarc on the hydro cable?

See: »www.dropbox.com/s/6ad0x0 ··· 0840.jpg

and

»www.dropbox.com/s/twu7js ··· 3228.jpg
hopetindall

hopetindall to Calero27

Premium Member

to Calero27
Thanks - original install (wire and VDSL splitter inside) was 1-2 years ago by Bell/Teksavvy.

The grey box outside seems new today - and as notfred noted: has added ~15db of loss into the pipe.

We're 15db worse today after the Bell Tech came than before. ;-(
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to hopetindall

to hopetindall
Shouldn't be, that's a common place for them to be mounted, mine's the same. Once possible problem could be if they have trapped the wire going to the inside wiring under the clamp on that cable conduit. Or it could be the ends of the wires that are in the push terminals aren't making good contact.

I was hoping one of the Bell techs or someone from TekSavvy would post about what happens when a demarc install goes wrong on the inside wiring side.

The problem is that once you have a demarc like that, Bell is responsible up to the jack and you are responsible for the inside wiring, Bell will work on it if you ask them but they'll charge you for that work, or you can do it yourself or pay a 3rd party to do it. However when it is Bell installing the demarc itself that causes the issue with the inside wiring then I can't see how they should be allowed to charge you. But then I'm a techy guy rather than a legal one.

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Thanks notfred.

I'm speaking to Teksavvy now.

If Teksavvy/Bell won't fix it back to before the Bell tech installed this morning -

I guess worst case I can signup for new, identical Teksavvy service and pay the installation fee.

That way they will presumably guarantee a signal to the splitter with warranty.

Very depressing.
hopetindall

hopetindall

Premium Member

:-(

Got nowhere with tech support.

Looking into installing new DSL service with either Teksavvy or Cable with Rogers.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

For this problem you really want to post in the direct forum, and maybe even pm TSI Martin or TSI Andre. I mean, what the phone support people are saying is technically correct. However, this is a pretty special case--you have documentation to prove that Bell has caused a problem. Something might be possible..

Getting a new install is an interesting approach though, I like the creativity Presumably they would even be responsible for a surface run inside your house!

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Teddy,

I spoke with a very helpful fellow in the tech support area at TekSavvy (says he used to work for Bell) - he's been amazing. He called someone at Bell. Bell just called me and another truck is rolling in the morning.

Fingers crossed.

PHT

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Awesome When dealing with Bell for DSL there is a little bit of flexibility. One of the benefits of DSL over Cable. [edit] When Rogers deals with independent ISPs, it is purely by the book, and worse even. Pretty much anything they can get away with to mess with TPIA customers.

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Well - it's not looking good. Bell called me last night after Teksavvy called them. Bell told me they were coming today between 8 and noon. Unfortunately no sign of Bell today. ;-(
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

1 edit

urbang33k to hopetindall

to hopetindall
Questions...

why was the bell tech there on the 25th in the first place? We don't just show up, what got him there?

Is this a dry-loop?

It used to be common practice to install a NID when there was a trouble proving in from the side of the house. Now generally they just put nids up everywhere, trouble or not.

2 years ago I'd say if the NID was placed, it likely means the tech thought he saw an issue inside your house and put the NID up, which could explain your attenuation issues.

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Thanks urbang33k

yes - it is a dry loop.

Bell came back yesterday - they found corrosion on the wire that was connected to the NID. Switched to other pair.

Now - we get approximately the same signals at the splitter that we tested at the NID on Friday.

But others are telling me the attenuation is still high and high noise levels.

Speeds attainable at the NID are degraded from what they were a year ago.

I'm trying a different modem. If that doesn't work Teksavvy have suggested having Bell look at the line again.

PHT
hopetindall

hopetindall to urbang33k

Premium Member

to urbang33k
Bell Tech came out on Friday because of a problem on Wednesday with 30 minute loss of sync. - about the same time Bell was digging near the pedestal.

After sync came back; I called in to cancel the truck roll - but TekSavvy suggested it continue due to high noise levels they found on line.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to hopetindall

to hopetindall
High Noise levels could be induction Noise from another pair are ya in the subs or near a Bussiness which Could have a HDSL or some other form of Net thats got noise induction ?

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to hopetindall

to hopetindall
Had the same issue as you today, very anoying. Have a read at my last post here, I even posted some pictures - »[DSL] Would bell fix this line issue..

This is also a old post I made back in 2008 when I was looking for help you run a Dedicated Cat6 cable from the demarc directly to a phone jack in my office to bypass all the bad wires inside my home, there are pictures and you may find some useful info here - »Phone jack Wires Question

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thanks bryanviper See Profile

Q: Did you connect the shield of the CAT6 to the big ground post in the middle?

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

np,

nope I did not, that cat6 is not Shielded thats just the middle of the wire to keep the wires separate because of interference. But I have since replaced that with a Cat6 Shielded cable and did not ground it or anything like that.

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

thanks,

Where's the best place to buy Cat6 cable suitable for outside? (needs to run 20 feet along the side of the house before it gets from the demarc to the hole coming into the house)

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

This is currently the type of cable I'm using on my setup, I just cut off the ends & stripped the cable.

»www.monoprice.com/Produc ··· format=2

hopetindall
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

hopetindall

Premium Member

Thanks bryanviper See Profile.

Does this stuff hold up well outside?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to hopetindall

Premium Member

to hopetindall
Those wires from the Red cable aren't even stripped. Do they just torque it down hard enough to break the insulation or something? Seems strange...
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
If you want to avoid customs hassles, 123inkcartridges have a lot of monoprice cables for not ridiculous prices.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to hopetindall

to hopetindall
Yes they should easily last a few years. Mine has.
bryanviper

bryanviper to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
Yes that was when I first installed it years ago, since then I do strip the cable however sometimes you don't need to, depends but it's usually good to strip it for best connection
BoogaBooga
join:2004-06-12
Canada

BoogaBooga to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
On my older NID, there are special washers that allow you to do this (not sure if that's the intended purpose, but it worked). I guess they do displace the insulation if you torque them enough.