Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

3 recommendations

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

[INTERNET] SMTP Authentication!

Great news!

You can now send messages on your Cogeco.ca email address even when not inside the Cogeco network. We've launched SMTP authentication so now you have the option of logging into our SMTP servers using your email address and password and send mail from anywhere in the world.

The current settings customers are using will continue to function as it, but they will continue to be unable to send email from outside the Cogeco network until the settings are changed.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
p5ku
join:2000-08-18
Oakville, ON

p5ku

and with encrypted ports now, very nice!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Aaron
Thank God. Also glad that it's not an enforced requirement for existing configurations.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

That makes two of us!

Qctech
@75.152.37.x

Qctech

Anon

Great to see ssl with imap and smtp port !

MisterMom8
join:2004-09-08
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8 to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Great news, is there somewhere on the Cogeco web site that explains the new settings ?

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

Here's a link for you. I think all of these have been updated:

»www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/ ··· guration

MisterMom8
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8

Thank you.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer to Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Aaron
Well that's a long time coming. Kudos to Cogeco for getting that rolled out.

Mike

Eternalrage
@24.36.135.x

Eternalrage

Anon

How do i setup my e-mail with my Samsung galaxy s4?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

The directions are in the link provided by Cogeco_Aaron above.

Try the generic version:

»www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/ ··· my-email

Mike
Appok
join:2014-03-19

Appok

Thanks

MisterMom8
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8 to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Now I understand why pop has been hit and miss lately.
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
That been a long time coming!

We and most others we know had to set up Gmail accounts for use when we travel. They work fine. Is there any incentive for us to reconfigure and use the new Cogeco smtp?

MisterMom8
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8

said by Dingaan:

Is there any incentive for us to reconfigure and use the new Cogeco smtp?

Better security for one.

Pilo101
@209.29.255.x

Pilo101 to Cogeco_Aaron

Anon

to Cogeco_Aaron
This is great! Finally!

That said, I am relatively tech savvy but I can't get my iPhone set up for some reason and the FAQ on the Cogeco site is generic and a little too vague to help me. Can someone please help me configure this with contextualized instructions?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Aaron
Bump. I sure wish this was stickied.

Mike
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

jpaik to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
The implementation of this was so long overdue, so thanks Cogeco. But, ironically, is there a reason to use this, given how things have evolved?

I use gmail on my handheld device and tablet:it's set to fetch my cogeco domain mail. Through gmail I can send and reply as user@cogeco.ca. On my notebook I use Cogeco's webmail.

So I personally don't think I need to use client-side software to send my cogeco mail through Cogeco's smtp servers. What am I missing, in terms of advantages?

nevertheless
Premium Member
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

nevertheless

Premium Member

said by jpaik:

Through gmail I can send and reply as user@cogeco.ca.

This is basically spoofing mail.

It works most of the time, but really strict anti-spam implementations (mostly corporations) will simply throw this email away and not tell anyone that they did it (since replying to spam is bad) and then there's the whole confusion of who's to blame occurs.

If your mail app supports it, I strongly recommend sending all mail through the provider who actually owns the domain (assuming that they do offer smtp-auth).

Pilo101
@70.39.176.x

Pilo101

Anon

I had asked before and nobody answered...please?

I am relatively tech savvy but I can't get my iPhone set up for some reason and the FAQ on the Cogeco site is generic and a little too vague to help me. Can someone please help me configure this with contextualized instructions?

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by Pilo101 :

I am relatively tech savvy but I can't get my iPhone set up for some reason and the FAQ on the Cogeco site is generic and a little too vague to help me. Can someone please help me configure this with contextualized instructions

Apple has a walkthrough for adding a new SMTP server to your iOS device here (Please note that this link is for a URL outside of Cogeco's domain and as such we cannot be responsible for any issues that occur from its use)

The instructions are the same, however instead of adding a new server you can edit your current settings by clicking the server name that is already on your device.

If you are still having issues our tech support agents may be able to help further. Please call our technical support line (1-866-774-8888).

Thanks!
Peter.
Pilo101
join:2014-08-20
Ancaster, ON

Pilo101

Thanks Peter...that said, I do and it just hangs on verifying, then says that the information is not correct. It would be helpful if Cogeco vetted the instructions as it relates to Cogeco's service.
Pilo101

Pilo101 to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Manages to finally get it...for iPhone users, the SMTP config looks as follows:

Host Name: smtp.cogeco.ca
User Name: bob@cogeco.ca
Password: bob's mail password
Use SSL: Yes
Authentication: Password
Server Port 465

WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

1 edit

WarningU2 to Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Aaron
Fantastic news. Thanks Cogeco I'm assuming this means I can with my HTC phone remove my own mail server to send email, and use Cogeco's in the Bell network?

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by WarningU2:

I'm assuming this means I can with my HTC phone remove my own mail server to send email, and use Cogeco's in the Bell network?

That's correct! All Cogeco.ca email addresses can be used outside the network now, including on cellular networks.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to nevertheless

Premium Member

to nevertheless
said by nevertheless:

said by jpaik:

Through gmail I can send and reply as user@cogeco.ca.

This is basically spoofing mail.

I attempted to configure this with Gmail and it wouldn't allow it, in fact they explicitly state you can't do this for the reasons you suggest. Rather you can change your reply-to address which isn't exactly what jpaik describes.
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

jpaik to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
DELETED. Found answer to question.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
So can I do this on my home, Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail clients also for POP3/SMTP?

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

Bry

Yes, it is clear from Cogeco_Aaron's message, the existing unauthenticated method is still available for customers to access inside Cogeco's network, by updating your local MUA to reflect the new settings, you can also seamlessly access your mail on other networks.

»www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/ ··· my-email
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

When I am out of the Cogeco network I always log in to Web Mail.