spc
Search similar:

uniqs

F9 User
@161.254.5.x

F9 User

Anon

[Future9] Is Future Nine down again?

Getting a fast busy trying to call into my trunks and both trunks not responding to outbound calls.
mattlehrer
join:2002-02-17
Wesley Chapel, FL

1 edit

mattlehrer

It would appear so.

F9 User
@161.254.5.x

F9 User to F9 User

Anon

to F9 User
It looks like the website (future-nine.com) is down as well.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

Pufferty to F9 User

to F9 User
Wow.
baj475
join:2004-11-02
Hayden, ID

baj475 to F9 User

to F9 User
Nitzen needs an offsite backup server to let his customers know that he is aware of the problems and is working on them. Other than dslreports and his website that is down, is there another no way to contact F9 to let them know there is a problem? Also getting a busy.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

Is he a one-man shop? That would be stressful.
baj475
Hayden, ID

baj475

said by Pufferty:

Is he a one-man shop? That would be stressful.

I do not know about being a one-man shop, but I do not think that he has more that a few employes. The frustrating thing for his customers is we do not know if he is even aware of the problem.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

I read a thread from long ago where he had been called out for price discrepancies and it sounded then that it was a one-man shop. I thought it would have been far more developed by now with more transparent communication, given that debacle alone. I'm sure he's aware of it and trying to fix it, but you are right, communication is key.
baj475
Hayden, ID

baj475

Given that he often uses "we" in his post, I suspect that he has an employee. Maybe a few more
sokhapkin
Premium Member
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL

2 recommendations

sokhapkin

Premium Member

"we" means nothing. I frequently use "we" in my posts in this forum or in replies to my customers, but CWU is a one-man shop.

One man shop is not worse than a company with employees who do not care about the business Like in most companies.

sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

Couldn't agree with you more sokhapkin
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
Rockville, MD

Pufferty to sokhapkin

to sokhapkin
But you are rock-solid in reliability so you can say me, we, or whatever you like!
sokhapkin
Premium Member
North Fort Myers, FL

sokhapkin

Premium Member

My favorite saying is "hiring an employee is to kill the business". Most people do not agree when they hear it. Then they scratch their head for some time. Then they agree with that. Life is life. Trust nobody but yourself.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to Pufferty

to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

But you are rock-solid in reliability so you can say me, we, or whatever you like!

I would not consider a one man shop rock solid in reliability. It's more like, enjoy it while it lasts.

OE
baj475
Hayden, ID

baj475 to F9 User

to F9 User
Phones and website are up!
sokhapkin
Premium Member
North Fort Myers, FL

sokhapkin to OzarkEdge

Premium Member

to OzarkEdge
"enjoy it while it lasts" phrase belongs to any company. Where are former giants like Novel, Quarterdeck or S&H Computers now?
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to F9 User

Premium Member

to F9 User
Sorry guys - the server went down just minutes before I boarded a flight. I'm currently on a plane over the pacific ocean (gotta love technology). What happened essentially is the data center guys hit again and decided to replace the power supply in the middle of the day with no prior warning (jerks).

Service did fail over to the new fremont server - but apparently there is a bug there we didn't see before. I'm not sure why it didn't show up in our testing, but taking on users on a larger scale failed. We're working to resolve it and will test more thoroughly when done.

On the upside - now that the power supply issue is fixed, the main server should get back to being old reliable, and more backup servers are up in rotation.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to sokhapkin

to sokhapkin
said by sokhapkin:

"enjoy it while it lasts" phrase belongs to any company.

Yes, of course, but circumstances matter. When the one man drops dead, operations grind to a halt, customers flee, and the business equity evaporates. That is not my definition of rock solid reliability.

Novell still exists. Quarterdeck ran its course and was eventually bought out. Not sure about S&H Computers... but I'd guess it ran its course for its time, and did not disappear catastrophically overnight.

I do wish you all the best.

OE
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

2 recommendations

nitzan

Premium Member

said by OzarkEdge:

said by sokhapkin:

Yes, of course, but circumstances matter. When the one man drops dead, operations grind to a halt, customers flee, and the business equity evaporates. That is not my definition of rock solid reliability.

Sorry, but I'm 34. I plan on outliving every VOIP company here, thankyouverymuch. It's really funny you worry about this, considering most established VOIP providers have only been around a decade or less. It's like worrying about being hit by lightning - can it happen? sure! is it likely? no.

And if you think Future Nine and CWU are the only owner-managed providers here then I've got news for you: all VOIP providers popular here are privately owned and managed.

History has proven you wrong, too - AT&T CallVantage, Verizon VoiceWing, Voicestick, and plenty of other investor owned providers have gone out of business. It's exactly those privately owned, privately managed providers that have survived the longest.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by nitzan:

It's really funny you worry about this

I'm not worried about it. I'm only noting that a true one man shop is not rock solid reliability, imo.

OE
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

You could, of course, get a POTS line from Telus and be down for a few days without any consolation except the pleasure of listening to a pleasant customer service representative saying "what's your account number" over and over again. To each his own.

Bottom line: You don't get to talk to investors and tell them to get their ass in gear.

As an aside: I would like to see investors' e-mail addresses prominently listed on Telus' web site. It would show that they care.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to sokhapkin

to sokhapkin
said by sokhapkin:

My favorite saying is "hiring an employee is to kill the business". Most people do not agree when they hear it. Then they scratch their head for some time. Then they agree with that. Life is life. Trust nobody but yourself.

I agree with that. But there are different ways to kill a business. One of them is not having a back up. It happened to me, suddenly ending up in a hospital immobilized for 5 weeks plus prolonged recovery. And, as it always comes , at a time when another major crisis hit. Do not ask how it ended up.
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

2 recommendations

Ole Juul

Brings to mind the old saying (updated by me):

"If it ain't one thing - it's two things."

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to nitzan

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

said by OzarkEdge:

said by sokhapkin:

Sorry, but I'm 34. I plan on outliving every VOIP company here, thankyouverymuch. It's really funny you worry about this, considering most established VOIP providers have only been around a decade or less. It's like worrying about being hit by lightning - can it happen? sure! is it likely? no.

And if you think Future Nine and CWU are the only owner-managed providers here then I've got news for you: all VOIP providers popular here are privately owned and managed.

Hit by lightning?? Where I live it happens unfortunately WAY too often.
And there are differences. E.g. Localphone/Voxbeam have tens o employeees . If Paul Cussac drops dead the company may run less well over time but it would not be a collapse.
It is always a cost /benefit issue. Personal redundancy costs money, so does geographical. Nobody is blaming anyone here.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

What happened essentially is the data center guys hit again and decided to replace the power supply in the middle of the day with no prior warning (jerks).

Nitzan, I know that you are very dedicated to your business.

And I personally have no problem with companies that run with a small staff (or even owner-operated).

But there have been [multiple] mishaps lately with the servers and data centers. Am I wrong?

If someone at the data center decided to replace the power supply in the middle of the day with no prior warning, then my response would be to replace the data center by the middle of the next day.

Nitzan, you deserve better.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

Note my statement to that effect in the thread on the last outage. And I don't know my a** from my elbow about these things. How could a reputable data center decide to knowingly cause an outage without warning? It just doesn't compute.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Pufferty:

How could a data center decide to knowingly cause an outage without warning?

When the [data center] is run by Moe, Larry, and Curly.

It's when the Internet becomes the InterNyukNyukNyuk.

-----

As I said, Nitzan is a good guy, and he deserves better.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
Sadly, I don't know a sysadmin who doesn't have a story like this.

In my case, the datacentre was moving virtual servers to hardware in a new facility. I found out about this when everything suddenly went down in the middle of a work day. I'd have done the move myself if they'd notified me - and if I had done it, it would have been at night and without downtime. Sometimes it seems as if they don't realize that people are paying them thousands of dollars for something that's actually important.
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

If someone at the data center decided to replace the power supply in the middle of the day with no prior warning, then my response would be to replace the data center by the middle of the next day.

My hosting company posts it a day ahead of time when they're making changeovers that don't even impact the users. This is with exact times for when they're doing it. That's just being professional. They do this simply because any changes on their side have a potential for impact, even if it's rare. Anyway, in this day and age server providers are expected to have much better than three nines uptime.

Yes, Nitzan deserves better.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
said by Mango:

Sometimes it seems as if they don't realize that people are paying them thousands of dollars for something that's actually important.

The data center workers only see the hardware, without really thinking if it's running the Teletubbies fan club or NORAD.

To them, it's virtual unreality.