spc
Search similar:

uniqs

sushiglobste
@104.57.20.x

sushiglobste

Anon

UVERSE and IPv6 with a cascaded router

Just got the Power tier setup and also I have all new equipment from ATT. Finally got rid of the old 2Wire and now have the NVG589.

Looking at the NVG589's firmware, I see ipv6 is enabled. Awesome! So, I proceeded to put the NVG589 into bridge mode or passthrough mode so I could cascade routers using my Asus RT-N66U. I also disabled ipv6 on the NVG589 and inputted the proper ipv6 settings into my RT-N66U.

I ran a ipv6 speed test and sadly I found IPv4 was around 45+ Mbps while ipv6 was at a measly 5Mbps. I did some reading and people recommend that the NVG589 do all the ipv6 stuff while the other personal router (my RT-N66U) does all the other stuff. This should help with speeds.

Interesting....so I tried some stuff out today. First I re-enabled ipv6 on the NVG589 and killed the ipv6 settings on my RT-N66U. I went to go run a test and to my amazement, ipv6 was no longer working or at least the test said I did not have ipv6 running even though the NVG589 did have the ipv6 setting re-enabled.

Weird. It looks like ipv6 settings do not pass through to my RT-N66U. Okay, so I turned ipv6 back on the NVG589 and my RT-N66U. ipv6 testing show it is still not working properly.

I plugged directly into my NVG589 and ran an ipv6 test and everything was green and ipv6 was working!

So I'm looking at this situation now...

1) I can plug directly into my NVG589 and get ipv6 working. (I need to test for speed still)

2) I can plug back into the switch that is connected to my RT-N66U and re-enable ipv6 settings, turn-off ipv6 settings within the NVG589, and get ipv6 working, but I'll have to deal with 5Mbps ipv6 speeds.

What am I doing wrong or is this all normal?
sushiglobste

sushiglobste

Anon

Retested for speed with a direction connection to the NVG589. The speed is there now. I'm getting 45+ Mbps with both IPv4 and ipv6.

So why is it I can't get my RT-N66U to handle ipv6 at such good speeds?

Because of this issue, and because ipv6 doesn't pass through to my RT-N66U, I'd have to literally get rid of my RT-N66U and just use my NVG589.

This isn't what I want to do. How can I fix this?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

1 recommendation

rolande

MVM,

said by sushiglobste :

Because of this issue, and because ipv6 doesn't pass through to my RT-N66U, I'd have to literally get rid of my RT-N66U and just use my NVG589.

Did you set up the Asus router to use EUI-64 for auto-addressing on its outside interface and the configure it to use DHCP Prefix Delegation to request a /64 netblock to assign to your inside interface?

The question is what the Asus router supports with respect to ipv6. I have a Cisco 3825 running in IP Pass-through behind my NVG589 and it does ipv6 prefix delegation using DHCPv6 without any issues.

sushiglobste
@104.57.20.x

1 recommendation

sushiglobste

Anon

Picture of a test I ran:

I was told to use this command:

ip6tables -I FORWARD -o vlan1 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1420

I added this command via SSH and PuTTY (I have no idea if I even did it right. I was able to login and access the command prompt. I typed in there and pressed enter and then exited. I have no idea if it did anything) Doing a speed test again for ipv6 showed no difference.

I could use some help. Not sure what to do here.

In my RT-N66U, I see no options for EUI-64 or any DCHP Prefix Delegation. No clue where or what any of this stuff is.

For the record, plugging directly into my NVG589 gives me very fast ipv6 speeds which are on par with IPv4 speeds.