dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Anon5
@72.71.251.x

Anon5

Anon

It's that time for FairPoint to have degraded performance.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but lately my service with FairPoint has been having a lot of problems. This has been a common occurrence once every few months usually lasting a few weeks at most.

Basically the service is fine during the day, but severely degrades between 6PM-8PM and lasts until 6AM-8AM the next day.

By degrades I mean a massive increase in ping/latency as well as a drop in overall download/upload speeds.

Pings to sites like Google.com being 15-20ms during the day end up being 500ms+. My 15/5 "FAST" fiber optic connection goes from 15/5 to 1.5/0.5 and there is severe packet loss making me unable to do anything during the time when I am most active (evening, late night, very early morning).

Anyone else getting this lately?
modem_reset
join:2010-05-27

modem_reset

nothing for me. I'm a 7x1 plan in maine, no issues for me.

Netflix is better then the TWC line in our home.

Wilder Vt
@71.169.147.x

Wilder Vt to Anon5

Anon

to Anon5
We've had a couple of weeks of dropped connections, inability to connect, extremely slow connections. FairPoint tech help -- reset modem, whatever -- has not improved anything. Extremely frustrating, as anyone knows. How widespread & common is this experience?
bejee
join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT

bejee to Anon5

to Anon5
Click for full size

Rock solid here. 15/1 and been that way since DSL went live around here a couple of years ago. Voip.ms server in NYC and Netflix/streaming audio flawless. No caps, $42/mo...

Anon5
@71.168.69.x

Anon5

Anon

Appears to be an issue at FairPoints office.

Did a trace route to a server, hit the FP office with IP:

3 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms 64.222.166.68

Did a trace route to a different server, hit the FP office with this IP:

3 76 ms 75 ms 68 ms 64.222.166.108

It appears that the *.108 IP is having issues, while the *.68 one isn't.

Just for the record, both IP are completely fine during the day.
Desmoe
join:2004-09-15
Derry, NH

Desmoe to Anon5

to Anon5
I too have recently experienced the same issue.... 20-30ms during day, degrading to 200+ms in the evening. Perhaps we have returned back to those past peering issues again?

ChristieWW
join:2014-08-30

ChristieWW to Anon5

to Anon5
I find that I keep getting a dropped connection, have to re-set the modem/router constantly throughout the day and then also have degraded service throughout the day (videos stream badly etc.) I guess this is usual for FairPoint.

buzz
@129.42.208.x

buzz

Anon

I'm on my 3rd tech support home visit for same intermittent 'dropped' connections. The last visit the tech brought me a new modem as he said my modem was not registering on their servers. He also ran a 'home run' for me per my request when I called in the trouble ticket. All connected within minutes and was good until about 2 hours after he left and I don't think I've had it the connection reset more than it did that evening (upwards of 15 to 20 times in a 2 hour span). Basically was not worth using. The issue is very intermittent as it may stay connected for a day or 2 and then in the evening starting around 4pm the disconnects start. Almost as though they are getting a overload of users or something.
We've had our DSL for years and it has been rock solid however last 6 months it has been the worse service ever.
mfisch
join:2014-08-26

1 edit

mfisch

Fibre customers:

There's not much you can do. Your issue is mostly related to backbone peering congestion upstream. Your phone call certainly won't do anything except possibly force fairpoint to add another tick to the "customers complaining about speed" box.

Before calling fairpoint, you might consider pinging a few popular websites and see the times you get from each to determine if there's a congestion affecting some routes and not others. These are the types of details that will let the bean counters at the ISP issue more dollars to a specific peering route (instead of a simple its slow complaint).

DSL customers:

It should be noted that the performance of your last mile connection and your upstream peering connection are entirely distinct metrics and should be evaluated separately.

The performance of your last-mile link has very little to do with your "ping" speeds, and the performance of your upstream peering has very little to do with "resets".

Since you're mentioning the resets and fairpoint making callouts to look at copper issues it might be good to take statistics during "good" and "bad" periods and compare.

During a bad period, login to your modem and record or screenshot all modem stats. Make sure to record the sync speed, attainable speed, number of resets, signal margin, etc..

Do that for two good periods and two bad periods (different days). Let's see what you have.

-Matt

buzz
@129.42.208.x

buzz to buzz

Anon

to buzz
follow up from my previous entry on 9/2/14. Fairpoint tech found a suspect connection on pole feeding our house. He said when he pulled box apart wiring fell apart in his hand. He repaired and put a new box on the pole. Sadly we still had issues. Decided to run a NEW 50' phone cable from modem to NIB on outside of house. Connection numbers looked great and no more dropped connections for 24 + hours. Checked phone jack where 'home-run' connection was going. found a very brittle/poor connection there. fixed that and in next 24hrs connection numbers were looking good but we still got dumped 3 times in the evening. took the new 50' phone cable and went from newly repaired jack to modem. So far so good. Approx 48hrs with no disconnects on dsl. decided to take old phone cable to work to look at under a microscope. saw that on 1 connector the pins were missing all of the gold plating. Cable was original cable i had been using on my DSL for 13yrs. oddly enough i think we had 3 different things that were responsible for dumping our dsl connection. took a long time to get there but i think i can honestly say we have a solid connection again.
ColdCase
Premium Member
join:2006-11-29
Hudson, NH

ColdCase to mfisch

Premium Member

to mfisch
said by mfisch:

Fibre customers:

There's not much you can do. Your issue is mostly related to backbone peering congestion upstream. Your phone call certainly won't do anything except possibly force fairpoint to add another tick to the "customers complaining about speed" box.

Before calling fairpoint, you might consider pinging a few popular websites and see the times you get from each to determine if there's a congestion affecting some routes and not others. These are the types of details that will let the bean counters at the ISP issue more dollars to a specific peering route (instead of a simple its slow complaint).

Over the past week I've noticed that I continue to get 30/15MBps via speed test and about 4MBps FTP to one of my hosts, but poor data rate to another one of my hosts (20KBps FTP!!). Traceroute says there is time outs in the hop between "9 above-qwest.lga5.us.above.net (64.125.13.246) 23.945 ms 23.934 ms 23.274 ms" and "11 63-232-81-254.dia.static.qwest.net (63.232.81.254) 87.113 ms 86.548 ms 86.601 ms" which packets don't pass through to my other host. When I use ATT wireless instead of Fairpoint the packets follow a similar path through qwest but perhaps without as much delay. Is there something going on with the qwest hop, like congestion or equipment issues? I'll be calling FP tech support and if there is something I should mention that will help, let me know.