spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WMC75
@63.152.87.x

WMC75

Anon

[IA] Mediacom Slow/inconsistent Speeds

I just had the Mediacom HSI 100mb down 10mb up installed yesterday and have a few issues and wondered if anyone else is having similar issues.

1) Modem just reboots itself (New Hitron Technologies modem)
2) Can't get more than one machine connected (Granted, I have not taken time to connect to my router and wireless as such(
3) While I ordered 100mb down service, I consistantly get 20-34mb down. only twice have I ever seen 100mb.

Thankfully I didn't cancel my century link which is 40mb down 5mb up (by the way, I have always got 42-45mb down with them even though I pay for 40mb service.

Anyone else finding they are having troubles with Mediacom?
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

You will need to give us more information to work from - where are you located (Mediacom market area)? What speed test sites are you using? Does your cable modem provide (a brand I've not heard of before) provide you with any statistics, in particular the channels being used, power settings, signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), etc.?

Also, if you actually register with the forum here and get a user account, then you private message with the user MediacomChad, who works for Mediacom, and have him look into your issue.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to WMC75

Premium Member

to WMC75
If you want to send me your MAC address via PM (you will have to register here) or via email at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com I will see what is going on with your connection and work to get this fixed for you.
wmc75
join:2014-08-19

wmc75

Thank you, I registered but have to wait 8 hours before I can PM so I just emailed you the information. Thanks for any help you can provide. I would love to have 100mb down /10mb up service and if I can get a consistant 75mb down I will probably keep it otherwise I will just stay with my very reliable century link 40mb/5mb service. Thanks again.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to k9iua6

to k9iua6
depends on the hitron modem they have one that is 24down/8up channels that mediacom is using
wmc75

wmc75

Kind of silly if one purchases 100mb down/10mb up service
wmc75

wmc75 to k9iua6

to k9iua6
Located in Cedar Rapids, IA in a Newer House. Connected directly to the modem no wireless or routers in the mix for now.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hey WMC75, I am showing one of my guys got back to you. Let me know if you have any issues.
wmc75

wmc75 to k9iua6

to k9iua6
Sure thing. I did register but can't PM for 8 hours so I did email the link MediacomChad provided. I am located in Cedar Rapids, IA, I have used speedtest.net as well as speedtest.qwest.net. Everything I am doing is hard wired directly into the modem (no wireless, no routers simply Mediacom equipment) The modem is one of the new ones since service was just installed yesterday. As for the testing sites, I won't accept anyone saying you have to use a different site and such. I have my Century Link 40mb/5mp internet on a machine right next to another two machines connected to the Mediacom Modem. Everytime my Century link on either site gets 42-45mb down all the time even though I only pay for 40mb so no one can say DSL is slow or unreliable. My Mediacom bounces all over the place. I get 20-34mb down. only twice have I got 100mb down which is unacceptable and if Century Link can be consistant so should Mediacom. There are no excuses. I hope MediacomChad is able to help as I would love to have the 100mb/10mb service. FYI, the house was built in 2005 and I am the only owner so it is not wiring in the house. I am only maybe 30ft from the box on the outside of the house.

Thanks again...

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

It looks like it may be an area utilization problem. I am reaching out to the area managers to see what the time frame of a fix is and I'll keep you updated.
wmc75

wmc75

Thank you. Is it normal for the modem to drop multiple times during the day and reboot? I do have a tech scheduled to be here on the 21st.
wmc75

wmc75 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
I have not heard from anyone outside of you and the couple on these posts

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Modems would only drop offline due to a signal or modem issue. I see a slight upstream TX issue but this would not cause the modem to reset. Do you have this plugged into a surge protector?
wmc75

wmc75

I do have it plugged into a surge protector. So far today it is more reliable, going to keep testing througout the day since I work from home, my internet is key and since Century Link DSL is solid like a rock at 40mb or higher download speeds I am not ready to give them up just yet until I can see Mediacom stay stable no matter the time of day. I appreciate all the followup and help.
JustinMN
join:2009-12-17
Chanhassen, MN

JustinMN

Hi there, I had the same issues with the Hitron modem in Chanhassen, MN with a new installation. The download would be 100Mbps after booting but would consistently drop to around 20Mbps. The modem kept rebooting just like yours. Even a modem swap didn't fix the problem. What did fix the problem is a technician coming to my home (after a 10 day wait) and swapping the modem for a Thomson DCM476. Now the service has been rock-solid. I even purchased my own modem from Amazon and swapped it out with the rented modem. Still rock solid, both upstream and downstream. Not sure what the root cause of the issue was.

Justin

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

puckstr2, I am happy to hear that changing the modem resolved your issue! If you have any other issues, please let me know here.
wmc75

wmc75 to JustinMN

to JustinMN
Thanks for that information I appreciate it. Today it hasn't rebooted, however for a good part of the day I was getting 70mb down or better, but now we are back to the 20-30mb range will tell the tech and see if they can swap my modem to the one you listed. thanks again
wmc75

wmc75 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Did want to let you know that it has been more reliable today, but still now testing at 20-30mb down again. hopefully the Tech can help tomorrow. Thanks again.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You're welcome wmc75 See Profile. Once I show this appointment is completed I will follow up with you here.
wmc75

wmc75

I appreciate that.
wmc75

wmc75 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
The Technician came out this morning and did a fantastic job. Not sure if my issue is resolved or not, but not because of this technician's lack of trying. He should be noticed for his hard work and dedication. We did swap out for the Thomson modem and my speeds are pretty consistant right now in the 80's which even though I have the 100mb service I can live with. Will see later today if it keeps up. if the speeds drop I think it is an over utilization problem in this area.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Please keep me updated! I will also make sure that the technician is recognized for his good work.
wmc75

wmc75

Thanks. The technician was fantastic and being an IT guy myself I know it is rare for that to happen However, my connection speeds are again suffering even with this new modem. I am at 49.98 on this last test so I am guessing as the day progresses, I am going to see less and less. Last night I tested at 6mb down. Which considering I work from home is not suffecient. Thanks for all your help. I am hoping to see if things are going to improve over the next week or so or I will have to stick with Century Link.
wmc75

wmc75 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
After multiple tests using speakeasy.net, speedtest.net and speedtest.qwest.net my tests are more consistant with the 50mb down service as I keep getting between 49-61mb down which is far less than 100mb and my expectation of at least 75mb down. not sure where to go from here. The tech was excellent so I am not unhappy there. But very dissapointed in the service for sure. Anything else that can be done?
hdtv00
join:2003-06-13
Silvis, IL

1 edit

hdtv00 to WMC75

to WMC75
Let me just save you the hassle. Get used to it. I almost NEVER see 100M down anymore. Also in the 20-40M down range 90% of the time. You're also not so far from the Quad Cities. I've come to get used to overpaying for a service that works at 20% of its stated performance.
wmc75

wmc75

That's the thing, I won't keep it. Century Link is rock solid here. I pay for 40mb/down and I ALWAYS test at 46mb doesn't matter what time of day. I am 2 blocks from the CO and Fiber from the CO to my back yard then Copper from there to the house and cat 6 throughout the house with is only 10 years old. I will just stick with the reliable service if that is the case. I could live with 75mb down while paying for 100 but in no way would I keep a service that was so bad that it was normal/acceptable to get 20-40 when paying for 100.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hey wmc75 See Profile definitely keep me posted and if you could send me a private message for a time where you would be able to bypass your wireless router and complete some further testing while I run a live monitor on the modem.
hdtv00
join:2003-06-13
Silvis, IL

hdtv00 to WMC75

to WMC75
I will add however, that the ONE good thing about mediacom...is MediacomChad. If your service can be made to run like it's supposed to he can usually get it looked into so it can be fixed and work properly.
wmc75

wmc75 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
I will do that today. I did some tests last night and tested at 13.05mb down. will PM you today. I appreciate it.
wmc75

wmc75 to hdtv00

to hdtv00
I will say that the only reason I have not dumped this service is because of MediacomChad.