McPolygon
join:2013-11-25
Bonney Lake, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
MikroTik RB4011

1 edit

McPolygon

[FiOS] Faster speeds on the way? (50-100 Mbps) FIOS

»stopthecap.com/2014/08/1 ··· -nobody/ Frontier’s chief operating officer Dan McCarthy. “Over the next several quarters we will introduce expanded speed offerings in select markets including 50-100Mbps services. Some residential areas will also be able to purchase up to 1Gbps broadband service. Anyone have more insight into these statements? Any idea where these select markets will be?

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

I wonder if the DSLAM terminals will be affected?

Be nice for those on a DSLAM going through fiber would get their speeds bumped up. I'm not putting any hope on this though.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to McPolygon

Premium Member

to McPolygon
»[FIOS] Re: [FiOS] Competition for Frontier FiOS?

»www.oregonlive.com/silic ··· ing.html

I'm not holding my breath
Intrepid1
join:2011-06-15

Intrepid1 to McPolygon

to McPolygon
You mean 1Gbps speed between the hours of 1 AM and 4 AM when congestion doesn't sap your speed ?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Congestion is a rare issue for FiOS customers (we're the lucky ones, I know!)

McPolygon
Bonney Lake, WA

McPolygon

It will be interesting to see if Frontier pulls a Centurylink on the 1Gbps connections by limiting the DL/UL bucket to 250GB...
cool88
join:2014-04-18

cool88

on frontier dsl has their pricing changed I can now get 12mbps down and 2mbps up and unlimited phone for $70 and the 24mbps down 3mbps up with unlimited phone is now $80 in my area.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
said by diablo18926:

I wonder if the DSLAM terminals will be affected?

Doubtful that DSL be see any changes. I think this is a good example of how competition improves service.
MDrules
join:2014-02-24
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

MDrules

DSL is on a completely different network and won't be affected. However, Frontier is and has been upgrading the DSL network. This will be the first major upgrade for the FiOS network.
pdxhz
join:2014-05-04
Beaverton, OR

pdxhz

I certainly hope FiOS upgrade happens soon. 35mbps has been the max offering for as long as I can remember, while Comcast has been steadily upping theirs, and now surpassing FTR max FiOS speed!

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to McPolygon

to McPolygon
Even a small boost of 2Mbps (imo) would help. Some places are desperately needing it like 1 mile from my place out the road from witch my DSLAM is pulling is only pulling 1Mbps and i haven't seen a meg higher unless the connection is constantly dropping out witch makes the speeds of every customer hike up to 6Mbps(what they are paying).
HTBruceM
HTBruceM
join:2002-05-04
Beaverton, OR

HTBruceM to McPolygon

to McPolygon
Sounds like these statements from the CEO are specific to the FIOS offering.

The FIOS ONT at my house only has 100Mb ethernet port capability. Less than that over the coax using MOCA. In addition to any headend upgrades, the ONTs at your house (at least some of them) will also need to be upgraded to support 1Gb service. So not all the Frontier FIOS installations are 1Gb "ready" without equipment upgrades.

All this infrastructure upgrade cost to support 1Gb FIOS will no doubt be passed on to us consumers. I'm sure it will be a lot more than the $70 that Google Fiber 1Gb service costs in KC. In fact I'll bet 100Mb FIOS from Frontier is going to be well over $100/mo on par with the current Comcast pricing. At least if/until Google Fiber is present in their service area.

fiosuser1111
@50.46.230.x

fiosuser1111

Anon

Depends on what they installed when you had it set up, I know mine I made sure was gigabit capable and I use gigabit ethernet to my router (no moca, don't use their piece of crap actiontec).

I'm sick of the slow plans, 35/35, I know they now offer a 50/20 too, but I'm not cutting 15mbit off my upload :|... Kind of pissed, if I didn't hate Comcast so much I might be willing to give them a try again. Seeing commercials that Seattle is finally getting gigabit through Century Link since the Gigabit Seattle thing died out.
jelavich
join:2006-05-22
Elkins, WV

1 recommendation

jelavich to McPolygon

to McPolygon
I think Frontier, like other telcos, make these statements to hold off the prying eyes of local government wondering why their internets are slow.

vulcan125
Subie Style
Premium Member
join:2001-11-23
Seattle, WA

vulcan125 to McPolygon

Premium Member

to McPolygon
I wish they would just sell off the Fios customers they acquired from Verizon. It's a shame to have such anemic speeds with FTTH...

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I wish they would just sell off the entire network.

Ben J
My spoon is too big
Premium Member
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA

2 recommendations

Ben J to McPolygon

Premium Member

to McPolygon
Frontier announced today new FiOS 30/5, 50/10, and 100/15 residential speed tiers in Washington and Oregon.

klipko
join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR

klipko

said by Ben J:

Frontier announced today new FiOS 30/5, 50/10, and 100/15 residential speed tiers in Washington and Oregon.

Nice!!!

This is what I see »west.frontier.com/fios/internet

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Ben J

Premium Member

to Ben J

I still don't want to give up my 25mb/s upload...

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Ben J

Premium Member

to Ben J
said by Ben J:

Are they going to upgrade existing 15/5 customers to 30/5?

McPolygon
Bonney Lake, WA

McPolygon to Ben J

to Ben J
NICE!! Thanks for letting us all know Ben J! On with a rep right now

fios
@76.115.128.x

fios to Ben J

Anon

to Ben J
Good to hear that they updated the speeds, they are now on par with Comcast in this area. Is there any plans to revise speeds in the near future for when Comcast does a speed increase in Washington/Oregon area that they are currently performing in other markets?

I'm getting Fios installed this week

McPolygon
Bonney Lake, WA

McPolygon

So apparently FTR needs to send a service technician out to provision the faster speeds if you are going from 35mbps to 100mbps? This seems like a strange policy...

fios
@76.115.128.x

fios

Anon

Are they wanting to update your ONT? I know the BPON ONT supports max of 100mbps, maybe they need to update to GPON ONT to achieve full speeds due to overhead?

McPolygon
Bonney Lake, WA

2 edits

McPolygon

See thats the strange thing.. Frontier just recently changed me over to a Calix GPON ONT a few months back. So I'm a little confused as to why another truck roll is needed???

fios
@76.115.128.x

fios

Anon

Did they quote you a cost for the service visit? First day of new speeds, maybe the reps haven't been fully informed of the proper procedure. Maybe BenJ can shine some light on why they need to visit.
Melakion
join:2009-06-25
Marysville, WA

Melakion to Ben J

to Ben J
said by Ben J:

Verizon makes their FiOS symmetrical, so Frontier makes their FiOS even more lopsided? Says 100/5 on the website too. "High-Speed Internet with speeds up to 100/5Mbps"

McPolygon
Bonney Lake, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
MikroTik RB4011

McPolygon to fios

to fios
The service visit was quoted as free. Now I hope that quote reflects on my next statement. I did detect a little confusion from the two Frontier Trusted Professionals I spoke with on the exact process. They had to call into a special team for further assistance. To their credit they were aware of the new speeds.

Ben J
My spoon is too big
Premium Member
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA

Ben J to McPolygon

Premium Member

to McPolygon
said by McPolygon:

So apparently FTR needs to send a service technician out to provision the faster speeds if you are going from 35mbps to 100mbps? This seems like a strange policy...

Likely to review and set the correct the equipment combination. There are two types of Calix GPON ONTs, several models of routers and adapters, and different methods of connecting your in-home network. 100Mbps is only supported in certain configurations/combinations.

fios
@76.115.128.x

fios

Anon

Frontier still using Actiontec routers these days and are they currently deploying gigabit routers to support the future speeds?