spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BiGxChucK
join:2014-08-19
League City, TX

BiGxChucK

Xbox One Packet Loss

Every time I turn on my Xbox One I run a detailed connection check and today it said 7% packet loss. What could the causes be? I'm still learning when it comes to all this interweb stuff
lcornejo
join:2014-03-20
Turris Omnia
ARRIS NVG589

lcornejo

How are you running this? Is this through the xbox one (the detailed connection check)?

You can also try to run something like that using ping plotter from a pc. Ideally from a pc connected directly to the modem. If that one passes with flying colors then maybe your router is the issue. If not, try the xbox one at different times of day. I wouldn't be surprised if your neighborhood node is not properly provisioned. Does it act up even more during prime time? 7pm-11:30pm?

you can also just open a command prompt and run a ping command
to a reliable server, like google.com or suddenlink.net.

journeysquid
join:2014-08-01

journeysquid to BiGxChucK

to BiGxChucK
Are you on a wired connection?
BiGxChucK
League City, TX

BiGxChucK to lcornejo

to lcornejo
I've never done the ping plotter on a PC, not really savvy on PC.
BiGxChucK

BiGxChucK to lcornejo

to lcornejo
Its not all the time that I have packet loss on the xbox one. but yes I use the detailed connection check
BiGxChucK

BiGxChucK to journeysquid

to journeysquid
Both, wired and wireless. But mostly wired now that I ran a seperate line to my sons room
lcornejo
Turris Omnia
ARRIS NVG589

lcornejo

The first thing you need to rule out is that your router is not dropping packets. That is a big problem. Try to isolate this, run ping plotter from your pc behind the router if you see packet loss at the router, which the ip should look just like your internal one.

E.g. PC IP 192.168.100.100, your router will probably be 192.168.100.1; but the last digit can be anything really. You can also do a traceroute to google.com (tracert google.com from windows), that that should show you the routers it hits along the way out of the suddenlink network. You can ping those one by one during primetime until you see packet loss.

If the packet loss is at the router, make sure you update the firmware and that its not overheating.

Otherwise, its something with the suddenlink network possibly. If its consistently dropping packest during a certain time frame, its probably suddenlink's fault. Contact SDLTech in this forum, if its on SL side, he'll figure it out.
BiGxChucK
League City, TX

BiGxChucK

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are some of the ping plotter readings I grabbed. These are taken with my laptop hooked straight to my router not directly to the modem. I have one of those Arris TM822 modems. My kids are online playing xbox or i would have shown pics hooked straight to our modem.
BiGxChucK

BiGxChucK

Here is my Speedtest.net results
BiGxChucK

BiGxChucK

Add: firmware for my dlink dir-857 router has been updated prior to this topic
lcornejo

lcornejo to BiGxChucK

to BiGxChucK
this shows no packet loss to your desetination. I am a little surprised by the ping to google.com, since its well over whar I would expect. THat server is in dallas I believe, for me, its 12-16 ms round trip and I'm in huntsville, tx

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to BiGxChucK

Premium Member

to BiGxChucK
Can you run the PP for 24 hours to the same target and set your sample set to 24 hours. 10 samples is basically giving a snapshot of any given minute and really isn't to helpful when you're looking for a pattern or recurring issue

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to BiGxChucK

to BiGxChucK
Could be XBox services issue as well...