All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tpalfy20
join:2014-08-21

Tpalfy20

multiple ISP's

Is it possible to have 2 isp's running at the same time in one house?

i am thinking of getting my own seperate internet with start for myself and then my parents can use our old one because they are super skeptic to any sort of change...

so really im asking can i run bell dsl internet along with start cable internet within the same household simultaneuosly?

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON

DavePC

Yes.

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to Tpalfy20

Anon

to Tpalfy20
said by Tpalfy20:

Is it possible to have 2 isp's running at the same time in one house?

i am thinking of getting my own seperate internet with start for myself and then my parents can use our old one because they are super skeptic to any sort of change...

so really im asking can i run bell dsl internet along with start cable internet within the same household simultaneuosly?

Or just don't tell them you changed it, if you got both running they will never know if the old DSL went away.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to Tpalfy20

to Tpalfy20
thats what im doing too lol, my parents have teksavvy cable net, and i have start vdsl, in the past we both had cable, i had teksavvy and they had distributel now they took over my teksavvy account and quit their distributel cable.

I just ordered vdsl from start this week

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to Tpalfy20

to Tpalfy20
No issues with having multiple ISPs in a one roof, it's your roof after all.
Tpalfy20

Tpalfy20

So therefore if I got start for myself I would only need like the 10 days notice??...cuz I know I dont need to provide a cancellation

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

I'm a little confused by the question, are you asking about a transfer for an active cable internet connection?

As I understand from your original post, you're looking to install a second internet connection? If so, we need minium 5 business days noticed of the date you want for the installation.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to Tpalfy20

to Tpalfy20
i see what u're trying to do, use your parents active cable line to get a free "transfer" but its really a free install. no idea if start will let you do that. up to them i guess because the line IS active i don't see why not ^^
Tpalfy20

Tpalfy20

Sam answered my question...and to mike, they use dsl so there is no avoiding the install fee :P
Tpalfy20

Tpalfy20 to Start Sam

to Start Sam
Hey again...one more question...is it possible to have the cable line installed directly to a room in the upper level of my home?

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

Depending on the situation, techs can drill a new line to a spot that is accessible from both sides.

Are there no cable TV jacks in the room you want it in?
Tpalfy20

Tpalfy20

I have a coaxial line coming into my room but that runs to my bell satellite reciever...

Start Sam
London, ON

Start Sam

It'll be 50/50 at that point if the install technician will do what your requesting.

If Bell has hooked into the Rogers CSE (grey box), that is going to be a problem.

At the very least, if you make it clear to the technician that coaxial jacks and feed from the outside into the splitter inside going to jacks is in use, the technician should run a new line into your utlity room/basement/wiring closet (whever your cable/telephone/power lines come in).
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to Tpalfy20

to Tpalfy20
Sure you can, you can even have multiple cable Internet connections at the same time, provided your signal is good enough. I had Rogers, Teksavvy and Start at the same time at one point in time.
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

docbill to mikee

to mikee
said by mikee:

thats what im doing too lol, my parents have teksavvy cable net, and i have start vdsl, in the past we both had cable, i had teksavvy and they had distributel now they took over my teksavvy account and quit their distributel cable.

I just ordered vdsl from start this week

That will work fine, but I don't recommend it long term. I had both VDSL and CABLE for about a year and a half. It was a pain in the butt to maintain. After reviewing my records 95% of my problems where from the VDSL connection, so I finally dropped that. The biggest problem with VDSL is the pppd connection does not allow multiple connections. To enforce this the reject a new connection if the old connection has not timed out. This can result in a race issue where your router simply cannot connect at all for days at a time, unless you actually turn everything off long enough for the timeout. If you have two internet connections the fact everything can go to the second connection partially hides the failure, so it can take quite a while at times to even realize that is the problem. In the mean time you may find things like your VOIP phones just stop accepting incoming calls, because they are trying to use the inactive connection.

So by having two active ISP's you end-up reduce reliability. Load balancing is also not automatic... There are some high end routers that support dual WAN, and that may resolve some of these difficulties...

My experience has been than CABLE is much more reliable than VDSL, but others have had the reverse experience. It really seems to vary based on where you live. Once you find out which is more reliable for your area, just use that.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek

I had PFSense running on one of these:
»www.mitxpc.com/proddetai ··· 96-525-B

Worked pretty well. I had it doing load balancing with a fail-over without any issues. The biggest problem was with sites that enforce 1 IP connection per login (i.e. newsgroups), but you can easily create custom rules when needed.