All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jdj2035
join:2010-11-03

jdj2035

Power tier on FTTH?

I just ordered Uverse 300 with the power tier and I am a FTTH customer in an apartment complex. I know that I am FTTH since the ONT is in one of the closets inside the apartment. I can clearly see the fiber cable and the connectors plugged in. There is also a power supply installed to power the ONT.

The apartments are 3 years old and there have been no previous tenants with cable service(none of the cable tv RG-6 lines were even terminated) so I know AT&T knows what has been at this address before.

I am hoping that this is true and I do get the power tier.

Thoughts?
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

Where are you located?

Orig poster
@24.35.131.x

Orig poster

Anon

I am in Bryant, AR 72022
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016 to jdj2035

to jdj2035
I've had FTTP for right at a year now. I've been trying to get power the entire time. Before now most of the people on here that have had it on FTTP were in TX. Glad to see its working its way into other areas.
jdj2035

jdj2035

AT&T has done a decent job in our county about building out FTTH/FTTP in new neighborhoods and apartments where the population will be high. I think some of it is if the land developers get them involved early or maybe they pay a premium for fiber to be placed instead of copper.

I am hoping that the tech can install the power tier when he comes out today. From what I have read in the past it isn't available, but maybe that is changing with all of the stuff that is coming out in TX.
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016

Well keep us posted. Take pics!
benk016

benk016 to jdj2035

to jdj2035
Did you get power installed?
ssiard
join:2013-10-27

ssiard to jdj2035

to jdj2035
My 8 month old house has FTTH and I was able to get the power tier so you should be good to go with the power tier.
jdj2035

jdj2035

To give everyone an update....

My initial install date was canceled by AT&T with no notification. When I called in to ask why a tech didn't show up they told me that there was an error processing the order and the tech was never scheduled.

I rescheduled the installation for the next available date which was 9/11. Today I got a call from AT&T saying that there is a "facility error" with my order and they aren't sure if they will be able to fulfill the order.

I am assuming that this means that there are no available fiber ports on the VRAD or something along those lines.

This is very aggravating! I only ordered to get Uverse TV since it is better than the crappy local cable company. I was actually going to take a speed hit with the internet, but didn't mind since the TV would make up for it.

I am not waiting on a call back from customer service to see if I can get the service installed or not. What is crazy is that I already have the fiber and ONT in my apartment! It isn't like its a brand new install where there is nothing in place.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

As apartment complex is three years old with previous ONT install, I suspect issue is you have a BPON ONT, this would be a 25M profile 3HD/1SD for IPTV and Max Plus (18M) as best internet speed available.

The Power tier would require the ONT to be replaced by a GPON unit. Additional would need a different splitter connection, this may be your facilities issue. Try ordering the Max or Max Plus internet and see if order can be completed.
jdj2035

jdj2035

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
For what its worth here are some pictures of the equipment installed.

Boojies
@144.160.98.x

Boojies

Anon

I am pretty sure I live in the same apartment complex. When trying to upgrade that said they would have to close my current account and open up a new one. I am assuming it is because the BPON issue previously stated.
jdj2035

jdj2035

These are The Lakes at Hurricane.

I just got off of the phone with AT&T and supposedly the engineers have cleared the line for install on Thursday. She said that the ticket had been pulled and that there was a note that the tech would call Thursday morning.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Boojies
@166.137.119.x

Boojies

Anon

Yea same place maybe i should fight harder to get it.
jdj2035

jdj2035

I will post an update on Thursday and let you know how it goes...if it goes at all. lol

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

You will require two techs visit, the first needs to be CIM to replace the ONT and change splitter.
The 2nd is actual Uverse PT/WT to install equipment, register internet, educate on usage and complete final testing.

The first tech has to show and completed his work (normally am time frame) the PT/WT will not be able to install (normal mid day or early afternoon). Hope you have the entire day free to be home....
jdj2035

jdj2035

Thankfully I work at home so I have nothing to do other than drop off and run and pick up my son from pre-k. I just need 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the afternoon to run to his school. Other than that I am here.
jdj2035

jdj2035

Update:

The PT came at the scheduled time and dropped off the NVG589 and ISB7500 DVR. He did all that he could, but the ONT does have to be swapped from a BPON to a GPON so now I am waiting on the outside tech to come and do that. Hopefully it won't take too long.

I will update with pictures and info after his visit.
jdj2035

jdj2035

The installation is done.

They swapped out the BPON for a GPON this evening. After getting registered I am very pleased with the speed test.

benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016 to jdj2035

to jdj2035
Glad to see you got it going! I am going to start my calls to them tomorrow to try and re-negotiate my contact since its up in 2 weeks. Im hoping in that process I can get them to put in the order for the upgrade to power. At least give them a way to upgrade my service since it seems like they want to push a higher service on you when you get a new discount
benk016

benk016

Well, no dice getting anything over 24mb here. The retention dept told me the fiber ports in our area aren't allowed over 24mb at this time, but said she has seen a lot of towns being allowed lately so I should keep watching for the availability.
benk016

benk016

Well as of this week AT&T's site shows 45mb as an option for my FTTP account now. Now the fight to get them to upgrade me without the $99 install fee since they don't have to do any work on a FTTP connection.

Anyone else on FTTP might check to see if its available now for them too.
jdj2035

jdj2035

How do you figure they won't need a truck roll for this upgrade? If you have bpon instead of gpon, which is likely the case since you couldn't get this tier before, a tech visit will be required to change out your ONT to a gpon capable unit and also move you from bpon to gpon at the cross box.

Most likely att has recently done some upgrades in your area and replaced some of the bpon equipment to gpon which now makes you have the ability to order the faster tier. You'll still need the truck roll to change out the outside equipment at your house and move you over to gpon at the crossbox. If you order the service and there are no gpon ports left then you are out of luck until someone cancels and you happen to try to order again. That's what happened on my first install date. No available port to connect to so no installation happened.
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016

I know for a fact I'm already on GPON. The line tech confirmed it when they ran the fiber to my house and installed the ONT. I would have cancelled the install if it was BPON.
benk016

benk016

Got on chat last night to upgrade to power tier. Doing it myself online showed a $99 install charge. When I got a rep to chat with me to set it up she told me there was no charge for the install, but a tech was still required to come out. So my appointment is for 10/31 at 1pm. I'll update how it goes.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to jdj2035

to jdj2035
This is a dumb question; but why, if he has glass to his location, could he not get the higher rates? Even with BPON....
jdj2035

jdj2035

I am no expert, but I would guess that it has to do with the back haul of the fiber from the optical splitter back to the CO more than the fiber from the splitter to the customer's house. The equipment that is in place for BPON might not be able to handle the amount of customers on a given optical splitter on the power tier.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm

I suppose... BPON was ?600+Mbps? as I recall.....

{Sigh, I recall buying my first 1200 bps modem....}

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to jdj2035

Premium Member

to jdj2035
said by jdj2035:

I am no expert, but I would guess that it has to do with the back haul of the fiber from the optical splitter back to the CO more than the fiber from the splitter to the customer's house. The equipment that is in place for BPON might not be able to handle the amount of customers on a given optical splitter on the power tier.

I was always under the impression it had something to do with the Alcatel-Lucent 7340 OLTs in the COs or Remotes, not the Fiber or the BPON splitters or ONTs.

BPON U-Verse is provisioned @ 30 Mbps down/3.6 Mbps up per ONT/Modem, fyi

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to rtfm

Premium Member

to rtfm
Verizon does 75/75 by Bpon 150/150 or higher tiers uses Gpon.