spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WayOutback
@162.72.54.x

WayOutback

Anon

[Exede] Google Drive on Exede Evolution

Does anyone know if google drive for pc uses up my 5gigs a month?
From what I have found it looks like google uses port 443 for syncing the files.
Would port 443 also be used if you are downloading from my drive account with a browser?
-thanks for any help-

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

Google Drive for Mac/PC is the sync client. When you install Google Drive for Mac/PC, it creates a folder on your computer named Google Drive. Anything you put in this folder is synchronized with Google Drive on the web, and also becomes available on all your Google Drive devices.

Google Drive provides bi-directional sync, so changes you make online are reflected on all your devices, and vice-versa.

Google Drive for Mac/PC currently does not throttle bandwidth, so it might consume the bulk of your Internet connection at times. If this becomes an issue, you can select Pause from the Google Drive for Mac/PC menu at any time to pause the sync.

»support.google.com/a/ans ··· 00?hl=en

WayOutback
@162.72.54.x

WayOutback

Anon

Thank you for your answer, the main thing I need info on is whether or not google drive sync gets applied towards the 5 gigs of video and other media a month i get, or does it get counted towards the unlimited web browsing and email. If it gets counted as unlimited is there a size limit per file?
Looking at the help docs for google drive it seems like the port that the sync goes thru is 443, and Exedes website seems to indicate that ports 80 and 443 are counted as web page instead of media.
-thanks-
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to WayOutback

to WayOutback
said by WayOutback :

port 443

Internet file formats are defined by RFC2046.

I'm sure ports can be blocked, but it may also be possible to block file types. Last I knew, they used Cisco equipment on their Exede system

Port 443 has two uses, one for Hypertext Transfer Protocol over TLS/SSL (HTTPS), and for QUIC (from Chromium) for HTTPS, which is explained here for Google.

Since hypertext is like viewing a text-based web page, its possible Exede does not block that dual function port.

Btw, Vannevar Bush wrote "As We May Think" in 1945 in which he described his conception of the Memex (which we now call hypertext).

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama to WayOutback

to WayOutback
said by WayOutback :

I need info on is whether or not google drive sync gets applied towards the 5 gigs of video and other media a month i get, or does it get counted towards the unlimited web browsing and email.

Yes, it gets counted toward the 5GB limit because it is uploading or downloading files, not web browsing..

WayOutback
@162.72.54.x

WayOutback

Anon

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know.