spc
Search similar:

uniqs
OOMJR
join:2011-02-09
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Streaming services are poor during evening times

I have a 25/2 package that runs 25/2 at all times(via speedtest, ookla, CL test, comcast... If I run testmy.net it will peak at 14 down and average 10...). The local tech and I got the FEC RS errors to a very small amount... maybe 0-10 in 30 minutes. Both lines are at 14-15 SNR down and 12-13 SNR up with great attenuation. So after all this hard work I thought we got the streaming services fixed. During the day xbox will pull up to a 1MB/s and I can run 1080p services no issue.

Last night started around 8pm Netflix bitrate was only running at about 256-320 kbps. I also snapped netflix while checking the xbox one bandwidth and it only shows the xbox pulling between 50kB/s to 256kB/s. I will also get a buffering issue where the video will be playing and all of a sudden it will start counting from 1% slowing to 100%. I also get similar issue with the PS3.

Youtube... I can't run 720p only 480p.

Gaming isn't an issue. Pings are consistently nice 20-30 ms.

During this time I tested via a PC directly to modem and had the exact issues.

I thought at first is was the internet(at least to the DSLAM)... got that cleared off the slate. Then I thought it was the wifi. Did a lot of changes to the wifi and got all wifi devices to run 50-80ms latency with at least 20 down out of 25.. OK great!

But again the streaming issues still persist. I've also tried different DNS servers, no luck...

Anyone else having issues with streaming services in the evening times?
OOMJR

OOMJR

I might try a vpn to check for throttling
Expand your moderator at work
OOMJR

OOMJR

Re: Streaming services are poor during evening times

There is nothing else. I see MediaCom trucks everywhere but no service in my area. I'm still searching...

I just filled out a huge survey they sent me. I went into much detail on the situation. I'm looking to a phone call or email. If nothing, I'm just going to have to get back on them on things. I've been at this for years now. It's always something with this company. Not happy.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx

hah, yea thats the exact same situation I am in. Time Warner actually has lines ran to our house and the fiber goes right by the end of the street. The guys from Time Warner actually were working on those lines and were shocked we didnt have service. There is probably some handshaking going on.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to OOMJR

to OOMJR
Yes, and it's likely between you and Netflix, or Netflix, and not CL. I'm VG for HD streaming (10M connection) up until 8pm or so most evenings. By 9pm it drops to 2 dots, and that's usually when I quit watching. It was worse last evening, probably because more people were home watching Netflix due to the Holiday. I receive HD streams any other time of day.
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

Titus, I have the same problems he has. Netflix is really bad and Youtube isnt even usable. I just had the tech out a couple days ago and as he said "No problems here".
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

I think it's CL. I got some tests to do tonight. Might setup a vpn and check that to. I'll update tomorrow or later tonight if I get time to.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

A VPN connection should take care of it.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Well I just got done doing some Centurylink speedtests... They're starting to get poor as usual. It's about 9pm. The bad streaming starts around 8:30pm. I got the fellow on the phone to escalate my issue and said I would be getting a call back within 48 hours. We'll see. I'm making this thread to show the stats and info.

Download Speed: 19127 kbps (2390.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1887 kbps (235.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 81 ms

Netflix will stream only stream 235 bit rate... I have the playback setting at HD and NOT auto. Also, the allow HD is set. I've also tried manually setting the playback to 3000 and it won't budge from 235.

As for youtube.. I can't play a 720p or above resolution. It buffers every 10-15 seconds.

Here are my line stats by the way... Pretty clean...

DSL 1 Status reflects the status of the GREEN DSL port located on the back of the router. The DSL light on the front of the router provides a visual status of the DSL port.

DSL Downstream: 14.715 Mbps
DSL Upstream: 1.146 Mbps

DSL Link Statistics
Link Statistic Status
Broadband Mode Setting: Auto Select
Broadband Mode Detected: ADSL2+ Bonding
DSL Link Uptime 0 Days, 22H:01M:57S
Retrains: 0
Retrains in Last 24 Hours: 0
Loss of Power Link Failures: 0
Loss of Signal Link Failure: 0
Loss of Margin Link Failure: 0
Link Train Errors: 0
Unavailable Seconds 0
Estimated Loop Length: 5400 feet
Uncanceled Echo: 0 dB
Transport Mode: ATM
Path Parameter: 8/35
Priority: UBR Without PCR
Service Type ATM - LLC Bridged

DSL Power
Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR: 15 dB 11 dB
Attenuation: 22 dB 9 dB
Power: 19 dBm 11 dBm

DSL Transport
Transport Downstream Upstream
Packets: 4945690 688995
Error Packets: 0 0
24 Hour Usage: 11804.481 Mbits 2599.793 Mbits
Total Usage: 11804.481 Mbits 2599.793 Mbits
30 Minute Discarded: 0 0

DSL Channel
Channel Near End Far End
Channel Type: Interleaved Interleaved
CRC Errors: 0 0
30 Minute CRC: 0 0
RS FEC: 48 0
30 Minute FEC: 0 0

DSL 2 Status DSL 2 Status reflects the status of the GREEN DSL port located on the back of the router. The DSL light on the front of the router provides a visual status of the DSL port.

DSL Status
DSL Downstream: 14.715 Mbps
DSL Upstream: 1.146 Mbps

DSL Link Statistics
Link Statistic Status
Broadband Mode Setting: Auto Select
Broadband Mode Detected: ADSL2+ Bonding
DSL Link Uptime 0 Days, 22H:04M:01S
Retrains: 0
Retrains in Last 24 Hours: 0
Loss of Power Link Failures: 0
Loss of Signal Link Failure: 0
Loss of Margin Link Failure: 0
Link Train Errors: 0
Unavailable Seconds 0
Estimated Loop Length: 5040 feet
Uncanceled Echo: 0 dB
Transport Mode: ATM
Path Parameter: 8/35
Priority: UBR Without PCR
Service Type ATM - LLC Bridged

DSL Power
Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR: 13 dB 13 dB
Attenuation: 21 dB 10 dB
Power: 19 dBm 10 dBm

DSL Transport
Transport Downstream Upstream
Packets: 4953388 696006
Error Packets: 0 0
24 Hour Usage: 11810.226 Mbits 2602.056 Mbits
Total Usage: 11810.226 Mbits 2602.056 Mbits
30 Minute Discarded: 0 0

DSL Channel
Channel Near End Far End
Channel Type: Interleaved Interleaved
CRC Errors: 0 0
30 Minute CRC: 0 0
RS FEC: 120 0
30 Minute FEC: 0 0
TipsyPickle
join:2014-08-01

TipsyPickle

Centurylink Confirmed a couple times a few months ago that one of the routes to YouTube has major congestion issues, and they also said they are working on fixing the issue. I have tried to get additional updates from them on when it might be fixed, but they won't say anything more.

Some people have this problem and others don't, it all depends on where you live and which route you take to get to YouTube. I'm assuming Netflix is also on this congested route. If you bug the Centurylink help team Twitter and Talk To us enough, you might be able to get some additional info.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

I've confirmed netflix youtube and twitch are all suffering on my end. Netflix will play at the lowest bit rate and both twitch and youtube won't play at all on even 480p and medium settings now. I emailed the Internet help desk all my tracerts and add speedtests. Back to surfing and playing Clash on Clans lol. This is ridiculous. This all probably is related to political bull crappie too. ..

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx
It does sound like a different issue. I managed an HD stream last night up until 9:00pm. I did suffer from the YouTube slowdown not long ago, but it cleared up. Good luck with it.
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx to OOMJR

to OOMJR
Twitch for me runs at 480p just fine. Unfortunately it looks like crap when we stream it to our TV. We would LOVE to be able to do 720p or god forbid 1080p. We tried to watch the cologne championships and it really ticked me off.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

For example, I did speedtest and streamed videos this morning around 7:30am eastern. No issues. 1080p Youtube no issues. Netflix max bit rate within seconds. Twitch worked fine running the source.
jwko
join:2007-04-02
Cecil, AR

jwko to OOMJR

to OOMJR
25/2 bonded on my end. I'm the only user in my community of around 50 with this speed, and I'm having the same issues. Slowdown starts here around 5-6 pm and continues till around midnight. My download speeds have dropped as low a 4mb during this time with an average of 6mb. Weekends, I see slower, 10-20mbs during the day, which I can live with, but weekend nights are the worst.

What about forum members CTL Joey and Doug? How come their never in on these 'important' (getting what we pay for) discussions offering up some help?
TipsyPickle
join:2014-08-01

TipsyPickle to OOMJR

to OOMJR
I got a hold of Centurylink today and they just gave me an apology for the congestion issues and that they are still working on them but have no time frame on when it will be resolved. Since they aren't giving specifics on the cause (to me at least) it could be physical congestion with lines and hardware or it could just be political back and forth with Google and Centurylink. Without knowing that, there really is no way to know how long it could take to get fixed.

Also have you contacted Twitch support about the issues with them? I was having those same issues last year and I sent in a Tracert to Twitch support and they contacted the Centurylink engineers and the issue got resolved pretty quickly. The issue then was bad Routing and is likely still an issue in areas.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

I got some updates that I'll post tomorrow or the end of the weekend. If anyone else gets anymore info feel free to post.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to OOMJR

to OOMJR
said by OOMJR:

I've confirmed netflix youtube and twitch are all suffering on my end. Netflix will play at the lowest bit rate and both twitch and youtube won't play at all on even 480p and medium settings now. I emailed the Internet help desk all my tracerts and add speedtests. Back to surfing and playing Clash on Clans lol. This is ridiculous. This all probably is related to political bull crappie too. ..

I guess you haven't been paying attention it's not your ISP's Speed, but the Content Providers you are trying to Stream from. Most ISP's use Free or Low Cost Peering and Transit Providers, and during Prime Time these Paths get all congested. So in order for your ISP to clear this up they have to get better Incoming Paths or Bandwidth from popular Content Providers like Netflix and YouTube. Direct Connect is the best, but I guess it can be costly. ISP's just have to learn how to manage their Traffic better.
Expand your moderator at work
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

Re: Streaming services are poor during evening times

Look at the bright side of things... Your faster than 28% of the US! Including me...
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Well... My local tech was sent a repair ticket to check my line.. All is well with my line, as we both knew. I called 1-866-707-3847 and talked to Andy. He said he wasn't sure why the internal ticket was closed. So he emailed a couple of people regarding a congested area he saw. He's looking to call me back Sunday since he will be out of the office till then. I'm currently trying to get the details to the ticket.

I thought I was golden tonight cause I was running Super HD on the Xbox one but once 9pm hit I'm running 480...

Will update more later.
OOMJR

OOMJR

Update. There is a speed issue confirmed in my area. Not sure about the details but resolution date should be on the 11th or so. We'll see.
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

OOMJR, there is constantly what they call "broadband exhaust". That will never change, it can last a year to only a quarter but they pop up consistantly. I have yet to make it through 6 months without one. The issue here actually doesnt resolve after they fix the "bandwidth exhaust". Although saying that, they just fixed our exhaust and I did get great speeds last night and was able to watch a movie at around 8-9pm. We shall see how long that lasts though .
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Yeah I understand.

I've been through this same issue almost every 2-6 months or so. Things will clear up and then degrade over time.

We'll see if things clear up in a couple of days, and if so, I'll update this thread. I'll also update this again when it goes down

I've been jumping hoops since I've had CL.
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar to OOMJR

Premium Member

to OOMJR
Unfortunately, I had to give up on ever streaming movies through CenturyLink long ago.

Each and every morning, I get up and have the speeds that I am paying for, but then each and every day as we approach evening, those speeds literally start dropping back to dial-up speeds. It's not even possible to surf the web in a satisfactory manner, much-less stream a movie. Wake up the next morning, and things are full speed again.

It has now become clear to me this will never change. I just wish CenturyLink was required by law to refund at least half of the money I've paid for speeds that are only sporadically achieved.

I do hope your own streaming issues with CenturyLink do improve, OOMJR.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

I thought I'd post this:

4:30pm Line test

»/pingt ··· /3235031

8:01 pm Line test

»/pingt ··· /3235119

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

Line Testing really doesn't mean anything, the real Acid Test is Streaming from Netflix, How is that going?
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Netflix won't pass 480p right now. It was playing 1080p at around 6-7pm. Can't stream 720p Youtube right now either. 480p gets by.

This morning when I woke up 1080p ran within 3 seconds into star trek.

Guess I'll see how it goes after 11th.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by OOMJR:

Netflix won't pass 480p right now. It was playing 1080p at around 6-7pm. Can't stream 720p Youtube right now either. 480p gets by.

This morning when I woke up 1080p ran within 3 seconds into star trek.

Guess I'll see how it goes after 11th.

I think my theory is correct, ISP's use low cost or Free Peering and Transit Providers that get congested. The reason is they are not exclusive to CenturyLink and get bundled with other ISP's thus the congestion. The only way I see this fixed is to get some Direct Connect Trunking like the larger ISP's to the popular Content Providers like Netflix. To keep the cost down CenturyLink can mix it with their present Peering and Transit Providers, managing their Traffic efficiently.