spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jazneo
join:2014-08-25
Hazel Green, WI

1 edit

jazneo

anyone think they add Fios in Rurai area?

Every think they add Fios in Rurai area?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

As far as I know they haven't expanded to any new markets with FiOS. The whole reason why Verizon sold of the FiOS markets was because the ROI wasn't all that great in WA/OR/IN in primarily suburban areas; I can't imagine Frontier could afford to deploy FiOS in even less populated areas.
MDrules
join:2014-02-24
Fort Wayne, IN

MDrules to jazneo

to jazneo
One thing to keep in mind is that "FiOS" is a brand. FTTP, is typically what everyone outside of Verizon will refer to it. While "FiOS" will not be expanded, there is FTTP being deployed in other areas.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by MDrules:

there is FTTP being deployed in other areas.

Interesting. Is that for residential use?
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY
Actiontec F2250
(Software) pfSense

DeLiver3 to MDrules

Premium Member

to MDrules
said by MDrules:

One thing to keep in mind is that "FiOS" is a brand. FTTP, is typically what everyone outside of Verizon will refer to it. While "FiOS" will not be expanded, there is FTTP being deployed in other areas.

By Frontier?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to MDrules

Premium Member

to MDrules
said by MDrules:

there is FTTP being deployed in other areas.

Care to share what areas you are referring to?

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt to jazneo

to jazneo
said by jazneo:

Every think they add Fios in Rurai area?

Nope

Ben J
My spoon is too big
Premium Member
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA

Ben J to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

Care to share what areas you are referring to?

Durham, NC and Carbondale, IL are two areas I know off the top of my head that are actively putting fiber in the ground to homes. The architecture and equipment are approved to deploy, but in that Frontier is operated more like a giant conglomerate of smaller local franchises than a single large company, it's really up to the local operating region to decide if its worthwhile for them to deploy with fiber or not. Note that like MDrules stated, FTTH/FTTP/FTTC doesn't mean FiOS. FiOS is a specific triple-play service with a specific architecture that was unique to VZ.
Intrepid1
join:2011-06-15

Intrepid1 to jazneo

to jazneo
I've had a TON of fiber laid in the ground by me over the past 5 years. I haven't seen any cell towers being built and at one time one of the techs laying the fiber mentioned it was for internet. I have no doubts it's nothing like a Fiber to the Home connection but I've wondered if it isn't being done to help supplement aging copper in the area.

The annoying thing is no one seems to know what parent company it's for. I checked a few years ago with our local GM who had no idea what I was talking about. Fiber isn't cheap to lay as we all know but after 5 years I would think the parent company would like to see a return on their investment.

I don't know if one of the Frontier people here could check on it or not ? It's based in the Spencer and Loyal Wisconsin area. I've held off trying to get a loop extender put in for a higher speed in case this goes active sometime soon. Let alone trying to figure out who to contact about a loop extender given how customer service is clueless about the tech.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to Ben J

Premium Member

to Ben J
HI BenJ, thanks for the update. I would love to see fiber in the rural areas but I am extremely doubtful. It would be cost effective when you consider that in the near future they will need to begin replacing much of very old copper plant.
jazneo
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

either way if they dont Replace none of the copper lines no one will be able to get phone and internet at all
jpgr
WAR
join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

jpgr to Intrepid1

to Intrepid1
Sprints 4 GLTE
jpgr

jpgr to Intrepid1

to Intrepid1
cHECK SPRINT 4G LTE cOVER MAP u GET good signal . Thats the only Large fiber laying I know of in the last 5 years . WE just got it and I get 13 mb down 5 up . my Note 2 Allshare is awsome !
jazneo
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

Sprint have data caps i would go over 5gb if i use for online gaming
jpgr
WAR
join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

jpgr

there ways around it ,,teethering
jpgr

jpgr

Ya I got Frontier dsl 1.5/386 but with my Note 2 and Allshare it cool know watching HD on my Tv Like having Broadband using your phone to surf and watch movies !Awsome