All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jaycharles2
join:2007-06-29
Evansville, IN

jaycharles2

Is AT&T experimenting with ADSL2+ ?

My download speed has fluctuated wildly the last 3-4 days. I have 6Mbs Elite service for several
yrs, normally receiving 5.3 . Lately, I have seen (via AT&T's speedtest) 0.3, 3.9, 4.3, 5.3, 7.3.
The mornings are at the lower end, afternoons, evenings & MOST of the day are at 7.3

Prior to this, (for yrs going back to straight DSL) my download speed had NEVER exceeded 5.3 Mbs.

The upload is steady at 0.7
I

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

In many areas AT&T had used ADSL2(+) in their legacy ATM based DSLAMS long before they started using them in the U-verse IPDSL DSLAMS. Possibly you are seeing the results of some of the newer ADSL2(+) DSLAM (or DSLAM cards) being transferred to your location after they had been replaced by U-verse IPDSL DSLAMs.

Do you see anything in your modems stats to indicate ADSL2(+) is being implemented? U-verse customers have recently noticed that they were being over provisioned (probably to compete with the over provisioning that is common with cable Internet providers). Perhaps that same thing is now being done with legacy ATM DSL too (actually in the legacy BellSouth area that was also done in the past, but AT&T stopped that practice).
jaycharles2
Evansville, IN

jaycharles2

I see nothing unusual, but I don't have the expertise to recognize anything significant
anyway. Just the way the system has been acting, it seemed like something was
being changed and adjusted.

I obviously have no complaints or reason to call AT&T, as I am pleased with the
upgrade I see. Lately (all afternoon & evening that I am on) the speed sits at
7.36 all the time.
jaycharles2

jaycharles2 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
I see nothing unusual, but I don't have the expertise to recognize anything significant
anyway. Just the way the system has been acting, it seemed like something was
being changed and adjusted.

I obviously have no complaints or reason to call AT&T, as I am pleased with the
upgrade I see. Lately (all afternoon & evening that I am online) the speed sits at
7.36 all the time.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Interesting.. What kind of modem you got?
jaycharles2
Evansville, IN

jaycharles2

Motorola NVG510

"They" have started adjusting again. Until an hour ago, my download speed was a rock solid 7.5. Now its 2.90 and bouncing around at that low level.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to jaycharles2

to jaycharles2
You need a tech out to actually test to know for sure.
System

to jaycharles2

Anon

to jaycharles2

(topic move) Is AT&T experimenting with ADSL2+ ?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 4 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Is AT&T experimenting with ADSL2+ ?
FlipSide
join:2006-10-12
New Milford, CT

FlipSide to jaycharles2

to jaycharles2

Re: Is AT&T experimenting with ADSL2+ ?

ADSL2+ is not new technology at all. We have it in the field and there is no difference in speeds throughput from a ADSL2+ or ADSL line. You will get higher synch rates within the first 1.5 miles on a ADSL2+ than a ADSL card but thats about it. the throughput on your dsl is based on the REDBACK or JUNIPER router you are on and highest i have ever seen any dsl line go is 5.3 mbps on a line synching up at 8128kpbs. Hope that helps.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

" We have it in the field and there is no difference in speeds throughput from a ADSL2+ or ADSL line."

That is odd. From my readings of the ITU standards ADSL( ITU G.992.1 Annex B) can go up to 12 Mbps down/1.8 Mbps up and ADSL2+(ITU G.992.5 Annex M) can go up to 24 Mbps down/ 3.3 Mbps up.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by davidhoffman:

" We have it in the field and there is no difference in speeds throughput from a ADSL2+ or ADSL line."

That is odd. From my readings of the ITU standards ADSL( ITU G.992.1 Annex B) can go up to 12 Mbps down/1.8 Mbps up and ADSL2+(ITU G.992.5 Annex M) can go up to 24 Mbps down/ 3.3 Mbps up.

But you aren't taking into account AT&T's ~6mbps downstream marketing limit for legacy DSL. What the standard is capable of is irrelevant if the ISP does not allow a sync rate higher than 8128/512 kbps (and then further limits the speed in a router). FlipSide See Profile was obviously referring to AT&T's limits, not the standard's limits.
FlipSide
New Milford, CT

FlipSide to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Normally you will only get 8128. Yes if you have a adsl2+ card and your 2wire modem will synch up right at the card at a little over 11mbps max and 1128kbps upstream. Even at that max rate you won't see any speed above 6mbps or 5.1mbps throughput. As far as I know phone company doesn't allow for it and those are the numbers in the field. So I was wrong in regard max synch rate but nonetheless it does you know good unless the company providing it uses that technology which we don't. Fastes ADSL that ATT offers is 6mbps down/768kbps up. Never seen higher in my 19 years
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Hilarious. Sonic.net was able to deliver 20 Mbps down using ADSL2+. Obviously limited by distance from the DSLAM, remote DSLAM, or CO. 2Wire specifications listed the 2701 as being able to do full ADSL2+. Letting the ADSL networks to be free of artificial restraints, without fixed tiers, allowing the modems and the card to synchronize at whatever data rate they can, would be nice.
FlipSide
New Milford, CT

FlipSide

Yeah it would of been nice. ADSL is old news now and that's why they have UVERSE that is offered up to 45mbps and they keep raising the speeds little by little. For $64.95 a month isn't too bad for that bandwidth. There are rumors of frontier(ct) updating the use of ADSL when they take over but like I said that is a rumor this far.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

»www.clarksvillede.com/pa ··· ices.asp

$70 for 100Mbps symmetrical

»www.fibrant.com/Packages ··· ing.aspx

$65 for 75 Mbps symmetrical
FlipSide
New Milford, CT

FlipSide to jaycharles2

to jaycharles2
Wow! Too bad not in CT.

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6 to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

»www.clarksvillede.com/pa ··· ices.asp

$70 for 100Mbps symmetrical

»www.fibrant.com/Packages ··· ing.aspx

$65 for 75 Mbps symmetrical

But that's GPON not DSL...

You're comparing a hare (GPON) to a snail (xDSL) capacity wise (pair bonding notwithstanding)

WrongForum
@74.80.53.x

WrongForum to jaycharles2

Anon

to jaycharles2
Wrong forum. You have uverse IPDSL. Go to the uverse forum.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by WrongForum :

I could have sworn that this was in the U-verse forum and then moved.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by WrongForum :

I could have sworn that this was in the U-verse forum and then moved.

A forum mod split the original thread in the AT&T DSL forum and moved part of it to the U-verse forum (after the OP revealed that he had an NVG510, and therefore actually had U-verse). Now any new posts will go into whichever forum thread the poster decides to post in. Probably the original thread in the AT&T DSL forum should either been moved intact to the U-verse forum, or what remained in the AT&T DSL forum should have been locked -- but we are stuck with what was done.