Search similar:

uniqs
mtrai
join:2004-12-16
Panama City, FL

3 edits

1 recommendation

mtrai

[Firmware] TC8305 firmware ROLLBACK update this morning.

Tue Sep 16 04:31:32 2014 Notice (6) SW download Successful - Via Config file
Tue Sep 16 04:22:59 2014 Notice (6) SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_v_tc8305cims_widebandshowcaseblast_c02.cm

Version:

BOOT Version: 2.1.8_Technicolor
Core Version: 01.E6.00.31

I woke up with my US/DS light blinking. I had to reset the modem and then it updated. I am not sure what changed.

/edit four This is a roll back to previous firmware. »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· 9/page/2

/edit one Appears bridge mode option has been removed.

/edit two Yes it gone, I did not use it but I know others did.

/edit three No longer can turn wifi on and off.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Re: TC8305 firmware ROLLBACK update this morning.

#1 I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm
quote:
There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

#2 Advice

a) Put the modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

b) OR if the ISP does not want to help you do that then: Get a modem that is not a modem combo, that has a web based UI (or Telnet OR ftp or SNMP). Does not require for example a special program »adslm.dohrenburg.net/lin ··· inux.php

For example of a modem that is not a modem combo, that has a web based UI (or Telnet OR ftp or SNMP) is the Motorola SB 6141.
mtrai
Panama City, FL

mtrai

[Firmware] Re: TC8305 firmware ROLLBACK update this morning.

WTH...not even sure what this has to do with my OP. It was an informational about firmware rollback. I guess thanks...i think.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by mtrai:

WTH...not even sure what this has to do with my OP. It was an informational about firmware rollback. I guess thanks...i think.

I think aefstoggaflm See Profile was just responding to one of your edits about bridging:
quote:
/edit one Appears bridge mode option has been removed.

mtrai
Panama City, FL

mtrai

Ahh...prior this last firmware, would have to call comcast or live chat for bridge mode. The last firmware added the option for the user to use bridge mode as well toggle wifi on and off.

However there were other connectivity issues some users experienced.

Since I do not use wireless was nice to be able to turn it off. And I know it was nice for people who use bridge mode not to have contact Comcast.

Hopefully the features will be back in the near future.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to mtrai

Premium Member

to mtrai
Yep the OPS team is working with the Vendor to correct the issues and get the code back in the field..
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by NetDog:

Yep the OPS team is working with the Vendor to correct the issues and get the code back in the field..

Packet loss appears to be back again. »/testh ··· 82/4f71e

Is this just a Firmware bug?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by jm101:

So it looks like the new code fixed your issue, but when you downgraded your issue came back correct?
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101

said by NetDog:

said by jm101:

So it looks like the new code fixed your issue, but when you downgraded your issue came back correct?

That is correct. I don't seem to notice any problems though but it's definitely strange. Maybe the Firewall on the downgraded Firmware version does not allow the Line Quality Test to run properly. Just a guess.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

2 recommendations

NetDog

Premium Member

Ok cool, so when the code gets corrected for the latest issue it will correct that as well..
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

said by NetDog:

Ok cool, so when the code gets corrected for the latest issue it will correct that as well..

Great! Thanks for the update.
jm101

1 recommendation

jm101 to mtrai

to mtrai

Re: [Firmware] TC8305 firmware ROLLBACK update this morning.

Rebooted TC8305C this morning and was upgraded to 01.E6.01.22.12. Bridge mode and 0% packet loss are back.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by jm101:

Rebooted TC8305C this morning and was upgraded to 01.E6.01.22.12. Bridge mode and 0% packet loss are back.

Thanks. Now we just need to see if that will allow IPv6 to be supported by it also: »[IPv6] Technocolor still not IPv6
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101

said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

Thanks. Now we just need to see if that will allow IPv6 to be supported by it also: »[IPv6] Technocolor still not IPv6

No problem. Hopefully it eventually supports it. So far it has been a great Gateway.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by jm101:

said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

No problem. Hopefully it eventually supports it. So far it has been a great Gateway.

EDIT: OK, it looks like IPv6 support will be enabled soon, given the next post from NetDog See Profile below.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

2 recommendations

NetDog to mtrai

Premium Member

to mtrai
Ok, so new info.. The new code was launched this week, v6 will be enabled shortly.. Same process as a code push, soak for a couple of weeks then national..
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

2 recommendations

neil0311

said by NetDog:

Ok, so new info.. The new code was launched this week, v6 will be enabled shortly.

See my post in the other thread. v6 is enabled now, at least in my area, and I posted proof.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

EDIT: OK, it looks like IPv6 support will be enabled soon, given the next post from NetDog See Profile below.

Great news! And thanks NetDog for keeping us updated!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to neil0311

MVM

to neil0311
said by neil0311:

said by NetDog:

Ok, so new info.. The new code was launched this week, v6 will be enabled shortly.

See my post in the other thread. v6 is enabled now, at least in my area, and I posted proof.

Well, IPv6 is working with the unit in bridge mode, as was stated in the other thread:
said by NetDog:

said by neil0311:

BTW...just to be sure this isn't the difference, I'm using the gateway in bridge mode with an RT-N66U router.

OK here is the key.. you have it in bridge mode.. Yep that will work.. The Dual-Stack on the eRouter is not enabled.. Ok so we are both right and both wrong, I can accept that ..

jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101

said by telcodad:

said by neil0311:

said by NetDog:

Well, IPv6 is working with the unit in bridge mode, as was stated in the other thread:
said by NetDog:

said by neil0311:

BTW...just to be sure this isn't the difference, I'm using the gateway in bridge mode with an RT-N66U router.

OK here is the key.. you have it in bridge mode.. Yep that will work.. The Dual-Stack on the eRouter is not enabled.. Ok so we are both right and both wrong, I can accept that ..

I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Saw it in the log.

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Also, our Internet was out for a little while after midnight.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

3 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by jm101:

That only refers to the management interface of the modem, on its DOCSIS/WAN side: »Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEPD)
mtrai
Panama City, FL

1 recommendation

mtrai

Glad it is being rolled out for y'all folks. I moved a few blocks since I noticed it the firmware was reverted on my TC8305 and posted it.

They changed my eMTA to DPC3939. They had to come out for the new service "install" ( fee waived) Can't complain though haha. Also got another X1 box that I was supposed to already have. No ipv6 yet on the DPC3939
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

That only refers to the management interface of the modem, on its DOCSIS/WAN side: »Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEPD)

Oh. Thanks for clarifying!
jm101

1 recommendation

jm101 to mtrai

to mtrai
said by mtrai:

Glad it is being rolled out for y'all folks. I moved a few blocks since I noticed it the firmware was reverted on my TC8305 and posted it.

They changed my eMTA to DPC3939. They had to come out for the new service "install" ( fee waived) Can't complain though haha. Also got another X1 box that I was supposed to already have. No ipv6 yet on the DPC3939

Do you like the DPC3939 more than the TC8305?
mtrai
Panama City, FL

1 recommendation

mtrai

Honestly yes. Its firmware already has the ability to turn off wireless which I do not use much. I only moved a few blocks and stayed on the same node and saw a 25 Mbps speed increase with just the same speed plan and node with a worse signal at the new location.

It has a lot more options and allows for many changes you want to make to it. Great wireless range, N and A bands as well, and can isolate to one band...I could go on.

The only downside is the reboot time, it is good 5 or 6 mins or more much longer then others. But seriously how often do you reboot.

ipv6 is coming, awaiting firmware...but I really do not need it.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101

said by mtrai:

Honestly yes. Its firmware already has the ability to turn off wireless which I do not use much. I only moved a few blocks and stayed on the same node and saw a 25 Mbps speed increase with just the same speed plan and node with a worse signal at the new location.

It has a lot more options and allows for many changes you want to make to it. Great wireless range, N and A bands as well, and can isolate to one band...I could go on.

The only downside is the reboot time, it is good 5 or 6 mins or more much longer then others. But seriously how often do you reboot.

ipv6 is coming, awaiting firmware...but I really do not need it.

Sounds quite a bit better than the TC8305. Wonder if the long reboot time has to do with MoCa.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

1 edit

1 recommendation

Darknessfall to mtrai

Premium Member

to mtrai
I've noticed that a few TC8305Cs rebooted in my area overnight. I just saw one broadcasting xfinitywifi now as of 9 PM.

Edit: Another TC8305C had xfinitywifi pop up at 11 PM.