spc
Search similar:

uniqs
semaj81
join:2002-08-12
Marietta, OH

semaj81

VPN + Suddenlink -- New Questions

I've asked in here before about my VPN issues and Suddenlink.. I use a VPN to work from home as my employer is strictly virtual. But over the last couple months I've been dropping off the VPN frequently and can't figure out why. I know the VPN speed from my employer is very slow at times but this happens at random times, peak/off-peak during work hours, etc. My question is this.. Someone I work with was told they would need a static IP address and that seems to have fixed it.. What about Suddenlink? A static IP is only available to business customers, and would I qualify to get one of these?

journeysquid
join:2014-08-01

journeysquid

That shouldn't be necessary unless something on your employer's VPN was seriously misconfigured. Whoever was giving out that advice was probably misinformed (best case). Is your provider's line bogged down with traffic? I could easily see the off-peak stuff being batch jobs.

We've used a slew of VPN clients and protocols on Suddenlink with dynamic (although rarely changing) IPs without issue.
semaj81
Marietta, OH

semaj81

That's what I thought!! I'm starting to get sick of my employer playing the blame game when it's their issue. We're throttled down to crawling speeds and they expect us to work.. It's really hard to do.. especially when it's slow enough to kick people off.. They can't be this stupid and not know what the issue is.. can they? I'm just making sure I've covered every angle I can to keep clear of taking the blame.. or allowing them to throw it at Suddenlink..
semaj81

semaj81

This is what we're expected to work with.. I work in a virtual environment.. it's all online. Only thing wired to me is the phone where the calls come in.. I work via our site and a few online tools..it's constant data in/out and we have this..

And it's Suddenlink's problem?

journeysquid
join:2014-08-01

journeysquid to semaj81

to semaj81
On the more practical side, your VPN client should have some sort of debug or log that can tell you what's happening at the time of disconnect - whether it's timing out due to not receiving any data back or something else.
semaj81
Marietta, OH

semaj81

I'll have to look around.. I need to find something that leaves zero footprint and I can analyze what's going on when it drops.. just to prove a point ya know?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

It's a vpn.... so if your network is still functioning at 100% to anything else (from a different computer even), it's obviously the other end. WHY their end is dropping you is another issue all together. If you don't have access as an IT employee, then there's likely nothing you will be able to do to check the other end.

That said, residential IPs are also static for the majority of the time. They usually only change due to some maintenance or if your modem/config files change. Business class just guarantees your ip won't change (I'm sure there's catches there also). So in theory, if the vpn was set up on ip access lists for some reason, then you'd either be able to connect or not at all.

Edit>>> Just seen your speed test there, lol. That upload is extremely small and if you max that out you could in theory drop yourself off the connection. Sounds like this is a small company you work for?
semaj81
Marietta, OH

semaj81

Not sure they want me to share but.. I can tell you that in the first quarter this year the cleared $100 million in revenue..

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Profits don't equal size of company or the IT staff know how sadly.
semaj81
Marietta, OH

semaj81

Got that right.. it's a shame.. we would be more efficient (which is what they want) if we had faster speeds to work with.. pages would load faster.. All around would be better.. We're inbound calls.. Get them taken care of, and off the phones.. But AHT (average handle time) hovers 12-20 minutes just on waiting for pages to load.. I've timed it myself.. load times = higher handle times..
tvsjr
Premium Member
join:2004-10-09
Dallas, TX

tvsjr to semaj81

Premium Member

to semaj81
A static IP won't help you (assuming the VPN is configured anywhere close to sane) and is only available on Business class, which you are eligible for but costs far more money - like $299/mo. and up.

I have several always-on IPSEC tunnels along with at least two SSL tunnels (Cisco AnyConnect) up and running on my SL at all times to various data centers. Not a problem in the least here.

What VPN client are you using to make the connection? We may be able to point you toward the right debug log file to figure out what's going on.