spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207

[Internet] Sagemcom - running IIS server on the Intranet

I have Bell business internet at work, 50/10 and we have the Sagemcom gateway. We want to run an Intranet server that using Microsoft IIS (Internet Information Services). We are running ASP.NET application so IIS is our only choice. Our site is all set up but we cannot see any of our web pages whether we use the IP or machine name of the server.

What do we need to do other than buying another router and bridging the Sagemcom? Any DMZ, Port Forward, etc. setting I need to change?

Eventually we want to expose the site with the fixed external numbered IP we get from Bell. However we need to be able to make sure it works within the intranet first.

Terrific
join:2008-07-09
Cobourg, ON

Terrific

You have two problems at the same time.

1) configuration of a local server to handle traffic on the local lan segment.

2) the concept of ADSL where the Downstream speed is faster (50) vs the upstream speed (10).

Imagine A Highway going INTO the Downtown of ANY major city.

MOST major Cities experience Traffic Inbound in the morniing and SAturation Traffic Outbound in the AFTERNOON..

Now apply this to your set-up, You are TRYING to push the TRAFFIC the wrong way with a SERVER. Where the majority of the traffic is INBOUND on the High Speed Side (50), and the OUTBOUND is using the tiny (10) Highway to get out again. It will work for 1-2 Users, but Soooooo.. Sloooowwwwww.. That users will give up if there is any significant traffic.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thats what you are asking the design to accomodate.

As for #1, as long as the CONFIG is for a segment such as 192.168.x.y where X is your preferred Node number, and Y is your individual computer static IP address that is NOT part of your DHCP Pool of numbers.

As long as your Computers are on X segment, all computers will 'see' the NETMASK limit for the class of network you are running.

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207

I am talking INTRANET here. If I cannot get it to work within our network to start off with, go external is pointless.

As for the upload speed limitation, not an issue since only QA from our company will be using it for functionality test. Any actual hosting will be done at a data center off site. I have known people who run servers at home with less upload speed than that. We are talking application servers here, not a download site or even FTP.
phily316
join:2006-01-31
Montreal, QC

phily316 to hlo207

to hlo207
There is a DMZ option on the Sagemcom, and also port forwading in Settings, Network, DMZ. You could try to enable it
Vinch
join:2007-10-24
Pointe-Claire, QC

Vinch to hlo207

to hlo207
Did you open the ports in Windows Firewall on the server? The Sagemcom modem has nothing to do with you unable to browse the intranet from the inside.
SquadG
join:2013-06-09
Anjou, QC

2 recommendations

SquadG to hlo207

to hlo207
Step 1, make sure your webserver is running. Try to access your server using the IP 127.0.0.1 from within your server.

Step 2, makre sure the firewall is setup correctly to allow traffic on port 80 and 443 (or the port you are using with your server if custom).

Step 3, configure your router. Do not set up DMZ as all requests will be sent to your server. Only open TCP port 80 and TCP port 443 to your server. Your server must have a static IP.

If everything done above is positive, you should be able to access your server within your network (same subnet) and from the outside (using your IP). Your public IP must be static or else it will keep changing. In this case, I recommend a server lik DynDns or No-Ip (free).

Your connection speed 50/10 will work fine for few users but do not expect something fast.