All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

jlkick
@12.249.231.x

jlkick

Anon

Charter Tech won't allow boxes to be hooked up to splitters

Hello, I am not very knowledgeable about any of this, so please be gentle. I am simply hoping to find out if/how I can get Charter's cable service to work in my upstairs bedrooms. I've never had a problem with using a splitter, but now that a box is required, and the technician refused to hook them up to splitters, I'm not sure if there's a way. Our landlord already refused to allow new lines to be installed. I have a living room outlet, and one bedroom with an outlet. But three bedrooms without cable outlets. Is it possible to hook the splitter up myself and allow the upstairs TVs to work without their own boxes?
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99

If the system has gone all digital you will need a box. Well, unless you want to try to feed video of all the same channel to multiple TVs, that is.

Whether or not the box will work through multiple splitters likely depends on how much signal there is. If the tech wont do it then best you can do is ask for self install kit and keep your fingers crossed.

My parents got a self install kit for their upstairs TV and they couldn't get it to work. They got video/picture from the box to the TV, but the guide said channels will be available shortly, but never were. They called Charter so presumably a reset and all was tried but no success. I suggested it was probably bad coax or low signal so they'd probably need Charter to come fix it.

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to jlkick

to jlkick
In our area cascading splitters is a violation how ever, If you just have one tv down stairs they should be able to put a splitter on the line as long as you have ran your own lines up stairs to the where the boxes will go.
Ctech
join:2013-07-27

Ctech to jlkick

to jlkick
sounds like the problem is that the lines running to the other bedrooms are no longer good and your landlord wont allow new ones to be run. If that is the case there are not many options
Caboosey
join:2006-06-22
Pismo Beach, CA

Caboosey to jlkick

to jlkick
Problem with splitters is that they are not all equal and cable companies are going all digital encrypted which will require cable box or CableCard if you want to use your own cable box.

Some splitters don't cover all the frequencies the cable boxes use or only split's analog signals.

I installed splitters for my radio equipment and bought digital splitters that had the widest range of frequency since I am using my radio antenna for receiving over the air Digital TV, police scanner, and aircraft radar receiver.

These are splitters I used:
»www.extreme-broadband.co ··· ers.html
Britfix
join:2014-09-19
us

Britfix to jlkick

to jlkick
We have 2 boxes and use splitters to get the signal to 5 TV's.

Living room is connected to a back bedroom and our deck.

Office is connected to the bedroom.

Since we only watch the tv in one of the connected rooms at anytime it works fine. Only issue is having to go to the room with the box to change channels although there are solutions for that starting at around $50....

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to jlkick

MVM

to jlkick
You can always try it. Go to Lowe's and get one of these: »www.lowes.com/pd_251906- ··· cetInfo=

Install it at the closest working cable outlet to the TVs you want to hook up. If the existing TV and cable box still behave nicely after putting it in, go back to the home improvement store and buy three extension cables similar to this: »www.lowes.com/pd_303136- ··· cetInfo=

You'd be better off paying charter's ransom to get additional cable boxes. Unfortunately they are quite expensive: $7.00 a pop per month.
KDW4Him
join:2014-09-20
Alma, MI

KDW4Him to whoaru99

to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

Whether or not the box will work through multiple splitters likely depends on how much signal there is.

You lose about half the signal or 3dB per split. I believe their new standard is one line into the house to a single 4way splitter to each room.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard to Caboosey

Premium Member

to Caboosey
said by Caboosey:

Problem with splitters is that they are not all equal and cable companies are going all digital encrypted which will require cable box or CableCard if you want to use your own cable box.

Some splitters don't cover all the frequencies the cable boxes use or only split's analog signals.

I installed splitters for my radio equipment and bought digital splitters that had the widest range of frequency since I am using my radio antenna for receiving over the air Digital TV, police scanner, and aircraft radar receiver.

These are splitters I used:
»www.extreme-broadband.co ··· ers.html

Those splitter specs are typical and not special. While those are probably fine, I would also stick with major brands such as Channel Master, Commscope, etc.). BTW, the signal through the splitters is analog or more precisely quasi-analog. The signal is digital after the demodulator in the STB (HDMI) or internet modem.
whoaru99

whoaru99 to KDW4Him

to KDW4Him
Yes, and a 4-way is -7dB per outlet.

In any case it still depends on having strong enough incoming signal. If the signal is marginal already adding more losses with splitters just makes it that much worse.

derF
@138.162.0.x

derF to Britfix

Anon

to Britfix
Please elaborate on the "...solutions for that starting at around $50...." a little more.

Thanx
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

said by derF :

Please elaborate on the "...solutions for that starting at around $50...." a little more.

Thanx

Next Generation RF ($35) or cheap IR repeater from ebay ($15). Basically any RF or IR repeater system will work fine. If you're willing to spend $45, you can get a very nice RF remote with base on ebay, like the Xsight Touch. There are also cheap smartphone based solutions like Beacon, Orvibo and Broadlink. IMO, Next Gen is the easiest to setup and use.

bananabread
@68.190.153.x

bananabread to derF

Anon

to derF
My guess is he us referring to a device that allows you to use a remote from a different room.

Orlando 57
@69.241.126.x

Orlando 57 to jlkick

Anon

to jlkick
Hi, I am confused here with what you are asking for.

Your landlord will not allow new lines to be installed. You say there are three bedrooms without cable outlets.

If there are no existing cable outlets in the bedrooms and the landlord won't let Charter run new outlets to those rooms what exactly do you want the cable tech to hook up splitters to?

No cable in the room means no cable tv in those rooms if I am reading this right.

Moth
@166.147.104.x

Moth

Anon

If that is the case. You will have to get AT&T uverse. Wireless receivers.
whoaru99

whoaru99 to Orlando 57

to Orlando 57
said by Orlando 57 :

what exactly do you want the cable tech to hook up splitters to?

No cable in the room means no cable tv in those rooms if I am reading this right.

Some rooms have cable feeds, some do not. Presumably the task was to get cable to the rooms without, using splitters from the existing feeds in the room(s) that do.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to jlkick

to jlkick
If you have a Windows 7 PC you could get a cable card and HDHomerun Prime and then the TV's could get all the channels over the Home network by DNLA or Xbox or Echoes. Could be wireless but a wired network is better.