Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to lehiutahcl

MVM

to lehiutahcl
Are you asking for help, or just getting a thread with ping tests?

coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

My guess is the OP wanted to complain, but based on what I've seen so far, CL's doing pretty okay at pingtests.

It would be interesting to see if the OP has another test from a different time, to see if it was maybe a one-off kind of thing, or what.

Brett C
join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

Brett C to lehiutahcl

to lehiutahcl
Looks fine from here;

chevyowner
join:2013-07-04
Preston, ID

chevyowner to lehiutahcl

to lehiutahcl
Preston ID

Brett C
join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

2 edits

Brett C

Something about that Lynnwood, WA pingtest site has issues... best result i could net from it after multiple attempts. :|

Here's another...

edit; QA != WA
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor

Interesting, since Lynnwood, WA is Frontier territory
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx to lehiutahcl

to lehiutahcl
What I find interesting is you guys are all posting awesome scores right? How come they are rated a 2.0 out of 5 if that is the norm?
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

I rate them the lowest possible when asked to give a rating. Why? the customer support it bad beyond words. It's almost like fighting a war, just to get them to give you the PPPoE username and password for any reason. The packet loss is horrible, and it prevents playing any online game. Customer support cant even understand that there is both an Actiontec GT701 and an Actiontec GT701D not to mention the fact the the GT701 is not the same modem as a GT701D. Any of the speeds available here are useless beyond browsing the internet. I would change ISPs in a second if there was another ISP available here.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx
said by xthepeoplesx:

What I find interesting is you guys are all posting awesome scores right? How come they are rated a 2.0 out of 5 if that is the norm?

Because the people experiencing trouble cop a net-nut by giving them a bad rating. People with good service don't bother with rating anything - they just use it and pay their bill.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

1 edit

coryw to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx
My review score is likely higher than a lot on here, but I'd say the biggest thing that hurts their score for me is that I continue to only be able to get 1.5 megabits. That and somewhat inexplicably after months of stability, it'll be a totally crazy ride for two months and the only solution is to re-provision my line on a "totally new" pair.

Admittedly, I don't measure packet loss, because I'm not running anything other than my regular CL gateway (I have a Q1000), nor do I have java on my machine, so that aspect of the pingtest site doesn't seem to apply to my score.

What would be interesting to know is how significantly congestion affects these ping tests. I suspect for most of us (on the CL forum at large), it's congestion CL's internal/peering gatewas *(the BRAS servers in the COs, and the DSLAMs, for example) that's causing problems, not necessarily our connections from the DSLAM to our house.

Of course, to address chevyowner See Profile's (and many people's) concerns, most of CL's DSL techs are only trained to think about the connection between your DSL modem and the DSLAM, and congestion is a different issue entirely. Fortunately, the escalation group on here CenturyLink See Profile and at talktous@centurylink.com seem to do a good job of gathering information related to neighborhood/bras congestion and initiating the process to get those issues fixed.

EDIT: (within five minutes I promise) -- I think the other thing that contributes to low scores is CL's slow updating of services. For example, from my perspective there "should" be nothing stopping CL from giving me 20/5 or 40/5, even though in the real world they haven't had an opportunity to feed my DSLAM with fiber, and because I'm fairly deep in town, who knows when they'll do that. (I have some updated conspiracy theories on that front, which I will probably keep to myself, but whatever.)

The other thing I've been seeing a lot lately is people who feel like CenturyLink's contracts and quota and network management policies are unfair, and are rating CL low because of that.

The other thing I personally see is that people in Qwest areas tend to be happy and people in Embarq and CenturyTel areas tend to be unhappy with it, but that's also a pretty huge generalization on its own. I think part of it is that before "CenturyLink" formed in 2009-ish, Qwest was pretty aggressively upgrading its biggest markets (and even adjacent areas) to fiber-fed VDSL2 systems, which was improving everything about the "DSL" experience. Lower latency, 12 and 20 meg tiers are faster on VDSL2 than they are on ADSL2/ADSL2+ because of PTM transfer modes, etc.

On the Embarq side of things, they got most of their customers brought up to 10m/768k when ADSL2+ started to come on board, but I don't know how universal that was across their service area, and of course there are five or six people on the forum right now who are talking about twitch streaming, which is impractical even if you have 20M/896k VDSL2, let alone 10m/768k ADSL2+ (still using the less efficient ATM transfer mode.)

So, network usage is definitely changing and it's going to take CL a while to catch up, which basically involves putting DSLAMs even closer to homes or moving to fiber in order to provide more upstream.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to lehiutahcl

to lehiutahcl
My own personal experience with century link has been great. I have had a CL DSL connection for around 14 years. Great techs, chats, phone support and price. We currently have a 50/5 connection.
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner to coryw

to coryw
The other thing I personally see is that people in Qwest areas tend to be happy

My area did start with Qwest, and every one here I know with CenturyLink has bad service with similar problems. I'm just the only one willing to do anything about it.
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx to coryw

to coryw
Cory, I agree with alot of what you said. I think you put it very well.

On the upgrade part we are fed by fiber to our dslam and they still refuse to put us on VDSL even though they upgraded it. So we are stuck with 768k up which means we dont have "broadband" like you said.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to chevyowner

to chevyowner
Fortunately, "tend" is not an absolute.

One other note, this is a pretty big technicality but with CenturyLink (I don't even think AT&T or Verizon has really completely coalesced, but of course they're shedding undesire wireline territories at the moment anyway) you're giving your money to Embarq, Qwest, or CenturyTel, and those corporations are just "doing business as" CenturyLink.

One of the things Qwest reps in my local area (Arizona) promised when CL bought Qwest was that the management was going to stay "local" and it was going to be local (or, at worst, regional, I guess) techs and business managers making decisions about what to do.

Ultimately, this is code for: Qwest gon' keep doing what they're doing, Embarq is going to continue on its path, and CenturyTel is going to continue on its path.

These days, I see a few practices from Qwest (VDSL2, for example) have started to make it into the other areas, and Prism TV from Embarq made it to Qwest areas pretty quickly after CenturyLink picked them up, but it's still Qwest that takes the money each month.

Fortunately, in my experience Qwest is pretty good at eventually fixing problems, and as we determined in your thread, your line isn't really having any problems, and your 12M plan is syncing at 15M, which I'd say is "pretty great."
coryw

coryw to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx
Thank you!

Just to pick a nit, not of course that this will affect your ability to achieve such speeds, ADSL2+ with Annex M can do like, 3 megabits upstream if you're close enough to the DSLAM. I've always imagined one day CL would start increasing upload, or do things like sell 40/5 bonded ADSL2+, but it's unlikely to happen, alas.

I, personally, am holding onto my 896 kilobits upstream for dear life, but it's not like that's useful for anything except making requests. I would absolutely love to subscribe to an online backup service, just as one example of what some beefed up upload would be good for, but alas.

Part of this is CenturyLink's problem (don't we all wish they'd behave a bit more like sonic.net) and part of it is a problem of DSL technology itself. VDSL2 isn't really capable of much more than what CL's getting out of it, and with VDSL2 upstream degrades at least as quickly as downstream. The unfortunate thing is that CL doesn't have any tiers between 40/20 and 40/5 -- because there's got to be some number of homes in the range between the furthest people who can get 40/20 and the furthest people who can get 40/5.

It's nice that CL over-provisions the downstream for fiber-fed ADSL2+ and VDSL2 customers, but it would be great to see even slight increases in upstream.

The Total Access 1100 series DSLAMs that many Qwest areas use have a testing profile with 1M upstream. I don't know if this is something Qwest/CL was planning on using in the future or if it was just for capacity planning or, something else. I've considered asking to be put on such a profile, because at this speed every bit counts.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to lehiutahcl

to lehiutahcl
My 40/5 pair-bonded line does great:

although i can say i do wish CenturyLink/Qwest would get it in gear with the post-VDSL2 upgrades.

Here in Phoenix there's dark fiber to be had pretty much everywhere, so there is no reason for us to be stuck on VDSL2 for this long (although i am VERY happy with it's reliability thus far)

I say for all the places like here that has dark fiber everywhere, move us to FTTH, then take the VDSL2 terminals and put them places they're needed that's stuck on regular ADSL or ADSL2 at this point, so the equipment costs stay low and you can get the most of what's available in each location!
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx to coryw

to coryw
coryw, I am with ya 100%! Also brad152, we have a company laying dark fiber right now in our area. The company is a coop called Consolidated Electric. Then there are many different ISPs that piggyback. I am talking with them currently and hopfully we will get that last mile that CL and TWC dont wanna serve. If CL doesnt do it, I am sure that someone will in the future. Now that Dish is talking about bringing fixed LTE, the options might get even more plentiful.

CL better get their butts in gear before the competition comes.
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner to coryw

to coryw
It is actually at 12122 and has been for some time. I am considering getting a new modem, but I will not buy one with wireless or a switch built in. I also don't know what a good modem would be right now.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

said by chevyowner:

but I will not buy one with wireless or a switch built in. I also don't know what a good modem would be right now.

You don't have to use any wifi or switch ports of a DSL modem. I have wifi disabled and bridge the modem to another router.
C2000T is good for bonded and non-bonded VDSL, for ADSL2, many more options from non-CL stores.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to chevyowner

to chevyowner
Netgear makes one like this, but it (like the GT701D) is a "gateway." The only pure bridge device i know of was made by Zoom and has been discontinued.

Is there a reason you do not want wireless or a switch built in? Are you using your own router or are you connecting one PC directly to the device?
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

The main reasons are I already have two switches for networking, and I would prefer not to add a 3rd. I have an NVIDIA Shield (not the tablet) I use to stream games from my PC, but unfortunately it is extremely picky on wireless for this. No DSL modem has supported wireless, and most Wireless modems or access points wont work for it at all.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

You may actually look into the Netgear D6200, as it has 802.11AC, but I believe it's a "1200" setup.

At any rate, if you're bridging the GT701D or using it as your "router" and a high end device that supports the game streaming as a wireless access point, that setup will work fine with basically any other DSL modem or gateway. If you get something that's a wireless+switch gateway, you can disable the wireless, and as a bonus, you get a few more switch ports. (Or, you can ignore them.)

If you're looking for ease of use with CL, one of their branded devices is probably your best bet. Depending on where you are, you could probably pick up an ActionTec M1000 if you're just going to bridge it and if you don't think you or your area will be upgraded to VDSL2, for example.

Though, if you're shopping, you may as well pick up whatever Q1000/C1000 variant is cheap and available. (I personally have good luck with ActionTec, even though they're not very well liked on this subforum, your line is pretty good, and you're essentially the perfect use case for a C1000a if you're just going to bridge it anyway.)