join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Why Cable Is So Expensive

WARNING! If you couldn't care less about the big picture and only seek the best cable deal, read no further. You'll just get p*ssed.

I've been watching this crap grow over the years so took note of WOW's recent attempt at highlighting the problem. You may have seen their spots. I suggest the read, it's very well done: »www.wowway.com/all-about ··· overview
said by »www.wowway.com/all-about ··· overview :
Today, just six multi-billion-dollar corporations own or control about 90% of existing TV networks and their programs. These big media conglomerates often wield their tremendous power to entitle themselves at your family’s expense. Many of these network owners also happen to be cable operators and they’re among WOW!’s biggest competitors.
So what can WE do? First, be aware and spread the word. All Comments Welcomed.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

2 recommendations

gene32

For regular readers, this info is nothing new but is always nice to post for the new people.

Solution: Drop cable TV and just retain high speed internet. If cable companies start increasing the price of internet to offset this, I can see a time down the road where this might give birth to more "dumb pipe" providers. ISP that offer HSI and HSI only. Our society has decayed to the point where couch potatoes derive enjoyment by watching wall-to-wall, fake reality TV shows non-stop and professional cry baby, roid raging wife beaters move a ball around a field.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by gene32:

Solution: Drop cable TV and just retain high speed internet. If cable companies start increasing the price of internet to offset this, I can see a time down the road where this might give birth to more "dumb pipe" providers. ISP that offer HSI and HSI only.

I posted an article a while ago that talked about how internet only subscribers use way more bandwith than those with TV and internet. Way more. While it may not have said it explicitly it implied that TV subscribers subsidize the internet only users. The cost for internet only would certainly be higher if it was priced based usage.

Perhaps what you wish for (HSI only companies) may happen but I tend to think the big players (that are only getting bigger) will continue to dominate so keeping their TV subscribers will continue to benefit the internet only customers.
said by gene32:

Our society has decayed to the point where couch potatoes derive enjoyment by watching wall-to-wall, fake reality TV shows non-stop and professional cry baby, roid raging wife beaters move a ball around a field.

You really think watching reality TV is the worst thing going on in our society? It's legal, not hurting anyone else and being done on their own dime. I can think of many other things doing much more damage to our society.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI

MVM

Interesting discussion hits on a few minor things but consumer taste is almost a separate discussion IMHO.

What I see is control of data by the big interests. None want to degrade to being simple "bit haulers". Data should, ultimately, be a public utility and no one, NO ONE, control what you can access. Yet "Net Neutrality" seems to be a concept the masses seem to be unaware what it really means. In the meantime, public attempts ("munis") are getting the big interests directly into state governments and getting them lawfully eliminated. I can't believe the laws they're getting in this regard! And it's only a piece of the big picture.

Where's Teddy Roosevelt when we need him? His perception of monopolies doesn't seem to exist anymore.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to baess

to baess
said by baess:

You really think watching reality TV is the worst thing going on in our society? It's legal, not hurting anyone else and being done on their own dime. I can think of many other things doing much more damage to our society.

I know that watching reality TV isn't the lowest we can sink to and I agree, there are WAY more disgusting things going on in the world.....like how our politicians are arming/bombing the same terrorists, Operation Fast and Furious (which nobody seems to care about any more), the IRS scandal with Ms. Lerner and the TOTAL HORSE SH*T excuse of lost emails/crashed hard drives, obamas illegal drone killings, our wide open southern border, the mess in Ukraine, how Fukushima continues to poison the entire world (especially the Pacific Ocean) and on and on and on. Maybe if people weren't glued to the teevee all day watching GARBAGE, we could start changing the world for the better?

Ok, stepping down and putting my soap box away.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to baess

to baess
said by baess:

I posted an article a while ago that talked about how internet only subscribers use way more bandwith than those with TV and internet. Way more. While it may not have said it explicitly it implied that TV subscribers subsidize the internet only users. The cost for internet only would certainly be higher if it was priced based usage.

From what I've read, internet service profit margins are higher than pay-tv profit margins. I doubt there is any subsidizing going on.
Richard8655
join:2013-02-10
Glen Ellyn, IL

Richard8655 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
Cable is so expensive because so many people are willing to pay whatever is charged for mindless entertainment. Even though quality programming is already available to most for free over the air, most won't even bother and continue to pay up.

In my opinion, the best option is get internet from WOW (on sale now for $20/mo at 15mbps - more than fast enough for most needs). Then hook yourself up an attic antenna or Mohu Leaf on a window and get free TV (much in HD). Then put the cable bill savings in the bank or invest wisely, go outside and do something real, and read a few good books occasionally.
baess

baess

said by Richard8655:

Cable is so expensive because so many people are willing to pay whatever is charged for mindless entertainment.

In my opinion, the best option is get internet from WOW

Many would say the same about the internet being mindless entertainment.

Not sure why one needs to defend whatever entertainment they want to enjoy. If someone doesn't want cable, don't get it.
Richard8655
Glen Ellyn, IL

Richard8655

Internet allows you a much wider range of choices than the limited low-level cable channels offered. It offers information of every kind. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Why do you feel threatened by an expression of opinion? Go ahead and watch whatever you want... you don't need my approval. Maybe instead of constantly hanging around here in your free time, you could return to your reality cable shows.
baess

baess

said by Richard8655:

Why do you feel threatened by an expression of opinion? Go ahead and watch whatever you want... you don't need my approval. Maybe instead of constantly hanging around here in your free time, you could return to your reality cable shows.

You are right, I don't need or would ever want your approval.

And I certainly don't feel threatened by your sweeping generalization about TV being mindless entertainment.

Get over yourself.
Richard8655
Glen Ellyn, IL

Richard8655

Good. Then you don't need to reply to my posts if my opinions bother you, and the same for me to yours. That's the point of this forum, to be able to express views of cable companies, service, and the products they offer.
baess

baess

said by Richard8655:

Good. Then you don't need to reply to my posts if my opinions bother you, and the same for me to yours. That's the point of this forum, to be able to express views of cable companies, service, and the products they offer.

You think what you posted in your last diatribe was an opinion? You made a personal attack. The true sign of desperation.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
If you think WOW is too expensive now, I just checked their website and starting Nov 1st, there is going to be some more price hikes. Looking things over, my mom's bill will be going up $8.50! The two worst charges (Broadcast TV Fee and Network Line Fee) are going from $3.25/$4 to $5.25/$6.50!

I already talked to her, and we're going to switch her out before the end of the year. Hey, if she's going to pay a premium price, she may as well get a premium service.
Nappyhoose
join:2013-04-04
Troy, MI

1 recommendation

Nappyhoose to Richard8655

to Richard8655
You mean mindless entertainment like C-Span, Discovery, History, Nat Geo, etc.? You're right, we should just pick up the local OTA stations so we can watch quality programs like Ellen, The Price is Right, General Hospital, American Idol.

Seriously, why try to push your lifestyle on others? If those things work for you, that's great. Many people would rather escape into fantasy or watch others do the things they aren't capable of than read a book or go outside. Or maybe they would just prefer some "mindless entertainment" when they come home after working 10 hours in a dead end job. To each, their own.
Expand your moderator at work
postewar
join:2003-10-26
Lawrence, KS

1 edit

1 recommendation

postewar to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI

Re: Why Cable Is So Expensive

Cable is expensive, so that WOW CH 6 / Free State Studios Lawrence KS can seek additional advertising revenue from local business, and air / interject those said local commercials on to my premium network stations channels at ungodly loud sound levels to violate the FCC's calm act.

»www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia ··· mercials

Someone at wowway should be doing something about this shit. The sound levels are at least 8 - 10 clicks louder (that's how far I have to turn it down) than normal broadcast, and stations own network commercials. Really annoying at 9:00 -10:00pm at night or later...but this is what I pay for with wowway.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm

said by postewar:

Cable is expensive, so that WOW CH 6 / Free State Studios Lawrence KS can seek additional advertising revenue from local business, and air / interject those said local commercials on to my premium network stations channels at ungodly loud sound levels to violate the FCC's calm act.

Violations of the CALM Act should be immediately reported to the FCC. WOW will not respond to anything that does not cost them money, and have proven time and time again they will lie, lie, lie.

Repeated, habitual violations of CALM can get very expensive, especially when they are deliberate as they are with WOW. In fact, they can be more expensive than failing a flyover test. WOW unquestionably deserves to get hit with those fines.

You should also file a formal complaint with your local franchising authority (usually the city council), who has the legal authority to kick WOW out of town permanently.