spc
Search similar:

uniqs

flyboy
@50.50.195.x

flyboy

Anon

Port Forward through bridged 7500 to D-Link 862L

I have a Westell 7500 DSL modem in routed bridge mode, wireless off, to a D-Link 862L N600 dual band router. I need to have internet access (from outside the LAN) to specific ports in the 10000 - 10100 range through the router. The N600 is properly set up for port forwarding and devices have been configured using those ports. These devices are accessible inside the LAN (e.g. 192.168.1.200:10050). Problem is I can't access these ports from outside the network. The Westell port forwarding will allow me to configure access to the router, but nothing else. Does anyone know if you can access ports on a router through the Westell 7500 bridge, and if so how? I'm stumped and have not found any info on the net that works. Thanks!

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

#1 I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm
quote:
There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

#2 Advice

a) make sure that all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port (D-Link 862L N600) router.

b) and put the modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, I point you to »Verizon DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? Note; These instructions apply to the Westell 2200, 6100, 6100F, 327W, and 7500 models.